Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ride Away/Temporary insurance cover

+7
kwakkat
robertcains
weasley
Dirt Bike Dave
HEHORE
MrNutt
Snowcat
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ride Away/Temporary insurance cover Empty Ride Away/Temporary insurance cover

Post  Snowcat Tue Oct 30 2012, 22:43

Does anyone know any companies that do temporary bike insurance, I'm looking to pick my new bike up on Saturday but my existing policy doesn't run out for a couple of weeks. I was hoping to get some kind of bridging insurance just so I can get her home early, I'm impatient and don't want to wait but not taking out a new policy for the sake of a couple of weeks the difference is £700 or £250!! It's a no brainer but now I've put the deposit down I want want want it!!! Smile

Any ideas folks, trawled the googles and come up with nothing, cars/vans/motorhomes no problem....bikes not happening.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Ride Away/Temporary insurance cover Empty Re: Ride Away/Temporary insurance cover

Post  MrNutt Tue Oct 30 2012, 23:20

is there any way the dealer can get insurance?

also have you checked if your current insurance allows you to ride other bikes under 3rd party cover? I know mine does, quite a useful thing to have considering i am not fully comp
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Ride Away/Temporary insurance cover Empty Re: Ride Away/Temporary insurance cover

Post  HEHORE Tue Oct 30 2012, 23:28

Mr nutt , unfortunately you can only ride someone else's bike , jot one you just brought on your 3rd party cover ,

And snowcat unfortunately there is no company that do cover motorcycles on a short term since April 2012 as the underwriters have all pulled out of that bit of market due to people insuring for a day and writing it off , was costing them too much , did a lot of net trawling and lots of phone calls trying to insure my brother's new bike so I could collect it for him , only way is to see if you can add it to you own current policy , only other option is to be patient I'm afraid
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Tue Oct 30 2012, 23:30

I know Ebike used to do a month at a time policy but that was a few years ago..
I think the 3rd party thing only covers you if the bike is already insured by someone else Edave.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Tue Oct 30 2012, 23:32

Riding other bikes will only cover you if the bike's not yours (otherwise you could have a fleet of bikes and only insure a CG125).

Check if your insurers will switch cover to the new bike for the remainder of the policy, or add it s a second bike.

I think all of the day/week/month cover policies have gone.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Tue Oct 30 2012, 23:34

Well I'm pretty sure the the policy says it doesn't but when they were discussing my renewal today (I haven't told them I've sold the bike yet as it's still in my care) the said the new policy was the same as the old one and included riding other bikes, only thing with that is it covers you to ride it 3rd party as you say but I was under the impression the bike needs to be insured in it's own right, i.e have a rider policy attached to it.

Patience is a virtue and I lost my virtue long ago.

Ebike still do a monthly cover policy, they wanted £214 for the month!!

Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Wed Oct 31 2012, 04:31

Have you considered using a HPI check with free cover for 7 days Steve?
I've used it myself when I bought a car & it was fairly hassle free, once bought you are given a phone number to ring where you are given a no obligation insurance quote & they email you a cover note straight through, when I took mine out it was with Aviva but I see they are using Swinton now, Of course they hope you will use their services but I didnt get any hassle of them at all when I didnt use them, I'm not 100% sure if it works for bikes but I know Aviva covered them, good luck

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Oct 31 2012, 16:43

Phones them before Nick, unfortunately the don't cover bikes.
Thanks thanks though, worth a shot :(
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Wed Oct 31 2012, 17:42

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Oct 31 2012, 19:43

robertcains wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Already tried that one Nick, says they do bikes but when you click on the link it goes round in a circle back to cars and vans. Tried putting in the reg but it doesn't recognise it and takes you back to inputting the details of your car manually.

Cheers though
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Wed Oct 31 2012, 20:39

can,t you go to a insurance dealer take out a policy get a cover note then change your mind when you get the bike home & cancel it
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Oct 31 2012, 21:14

kwakkat wrote:can,t you go to a insurance dealer take out a policy get a cover note then change your mind when you get the bike home & cancel it
I actually considered that, I really did and I know as much as we all hate and call insurance companies it was a bit too low, even for me... plus the deposit and first installment would've been £150 and I'd have lost a portion of that Pro-rata for the time insured.

As much as I've heard about so many people who buy bikes before passing their tests and riding them home without a license, let alone insurance it's so tempting to do but 6 points, up to £2000 fine or being the really unlucky one who smashes the bike/self up as well the thought didn't enter my head. I'm just gonna have to bide my time for a couple of weeks til all is sorted!!!

At least the insurance is set, in place and ready to go for when I have the years NCB.

Now let's have a go at that patience thing!!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Wed Oct 31 2012, 21:17

you'll need to find a new hobby for a few weeks!!
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Oct 31 2012, 21:56

Hand still not 100% yet so probably not the best time to try and tame a blade, especially not in this shitty weather Wink there'll be plenty of time for riding the beast Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Nov 01 2012, 04:17

First concern is that you've sold the bike and not told your insurers !

There was a (true) horror story in MCN legal just recently.

Blokey sold bike, kept insewerants going to get one more years NCD (was also only a short period away).
New owner rode bike, had accident and wasn't insured. Caused lots of damage and PI claims for an at fault accident.

Turns out matey boy (original seller) was still liable, but guess what ? Cos he hadn't told insewerants they quite legaly do not have to pay claims.
Upshot, all claimants lawers are going after the original owner (seller) for FULL settlement of claims . . . TENS of THOUSANDS of ££££ pale affraid

Worth digging out (or perhaps MCN web searching), your old mcn's out and having a look . . .

Second, can't the dealership deliver the bike ?
OR
Could you ask the dealer (pretty please), could you ride it home on their TRADE insurance ?

Cheers
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Nov 01 2012, 07:26

I did indeed read about that incident Tel, the fact is I still have the bike at the moment so no need to tell the insurance. When I drop the bike off with them this weekend it'll be without the V5 because that's awaiting a new one being issued because I've taken my plate off. Therefore although the bike will physically be in their possession it'll still be owned by me and therefore my responsibility to keep insured. They won't be getting the V5 until after my insurance expires and they've agreed to that.

I will enquire about utilising their trade insurance to ride the bike home but as I'll have to borrow their trade plates and live 40 miles away not sure they'll be up for that.

Thanks for the concern though Tel, just one of the reasons why I'll be sticking around on this forum even without the Cat Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Nov 01 2012, 07:54

You're right Steve, risking riding a much bigger bike for the first time in shite weather Isnt the brightest idea.

It will be even more frustrating when you get it home & can't ride it because of the weather/salt on the roads etc lol.

All good things come to them that wait!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Nov 01 2012, 08:44

I'll have the worlds cleanest bike in the meantime though, me not able to ride her home might be a bit of a bind but once she's there she'll be in for some pampering, fairings off, wheels off, deep clean will ensue Smile

Quite looking forward to that bit Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Thu Nov 01 2012, 08:52

Hi Tel, I also read thet article in MCN, what a frightener!
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Nov 01 2012, 19:53

Hi Tez,

Yeah, really really scarey. If I recall correctly the bloke was staring at loosing everything he owned, and I do mean everything !! . . . well as you know, you read the article too. pale

The way the lawyer explained it, aparently it's legal . . . but is it right ??
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Nov 01 2012, 19:59

I personally don't see how lawfully the insurance can wash their hands of the liability and leave it all with this poor guy, surely the fact that the insurance is in the clear leaves him without liability, surely they'd have to pursue the rider, insured or not.

Not a theory I'd like to test however !!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:06

I think the crux of it was that the insewerants did indeedy pick up the tab. . . . . then sued the insured (seller we're talking about) for breach of contract . . . or some such.
As I said the lawyer from MCN legal explained it all and apparently there is a presidence . . . so it seems matey boy is up the preverbial creek with no paddle and a chuffin great hole in the canoe thumb down
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Mon Nov 05 2012, 11:56

I think I found either that article or one very similar in Fast Bikes a couple of months ago (sept issue)...was posted under the legal Q&A session...couldn't find a version on the web that I could copy and paste so did it the long way just so everyone has the same info...really not worth leaving insurance on a bike if the below is anywhere close to being true !! Help this helps clarify

Q: I sold my triumph daytona 675 for cash to a guy from eastern europe and as I only had a month left on the insurance I decided to let it run on to get a further full year's no claims bonus. I told the DVLA and I got an acknowledgement that the bike had a new owner and so I did not think I had any problems. Unfortunately the guy who brought it hit and injured a pedestrian. I dont know the cicumstances other than the guy that brought it had no valid insurance and no british motorcycle licence.
My insurers have said they have to pick up the costs and damages to the pedestrian who I understand is pretty badly smashed up. The buyer has now skipped off to somewhere Baltic. My insurers have said that they will be coming after me for the money as I kept the bike "on risk" with them. My wife is worried sick. I am too. Am I liable for tens of thousands of pounds?

A: The bad news is I think you are - you're right to be worried sick. As a matter of statutory law (The Road Traffic Act 1988) the insurance policy affixes to the bike and any rider. Even a thief is deemed to be an insured rider. As you made the conscious decision to let the insurance continue, your insurers are liable to the third party by reason of statute of law. However, you are in fundamental breach of your contract with them and they can come after you for the money. You have left them with a legal duty to shell out for every penny and legal costs the injured pedestrian is going to get. I know you didnt mean to and if the new rider had been insured, none of this would have happened, but he wasnt insureed and this has happened. Your bike insurers will probably take a commercial view on whether it is worth coming after you. If they do, then unless you have a few tens of thousands of pounds to hand you could well be facing personal bankruptcy. You are in deep trouble and there is no easy answer. I've been on the other side of the fence, when I've acted for motorcyclists who have either been injured or killed by the driver of a vehicle who doesnt have insurance in that vehicle, but somebody else does, and I can tell you that insurance companies take a pretty hard, cold and calculating line on whether or not you are worth coming after. I think the only saving grace that you have is your house is jointly owned between you and your wife, and if I were you I would be speaking to a solicitor pretty quickly about making sure your wife's interests in the house are protected.
It is never a good idea to be anything other than 100 per cent straight with your insurance company. the rules are on their side, they know exactly what they are doing and their sole duty, in reality, is to protect their shareholders. That no claims bonus is gone and could well be costing everything you own.
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 217
Hobbies : IT Geek
Humour : dark and perverted
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Mon Nov 05 2012, 12:09

That's the puppy, or if it's not, then it's as close as makes no difference.

Cheers for rooting this out . . . vinny wink thumb up
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Mon Nov 05 2012, 12:21

neigh worries, knew I had seen it but couldn't lay my hands on it till this morning.
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 217
Hobbies : IT Geek
Humour : dark and perverted
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next