Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting the 'Cat - Whats the knack?

3 posters

Go down

Starting the 'Cat - Whats the knack?  Empty Starting the 'Cat - Whats the knack?

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Aug 12 2012, 13:05

Hi guys and girls,

Had the 'Cat for nearly half a year now, however I'm still struggling to find the knack to starting her. What is it?

I'm never sure when I need choke etc. Usually when I'm starting her she's been stood for a day or more. Once she's warmed up and been ridden I can start without choke until she's been standing for a few hours again.

I try not to use throttle when starting her.

On a side note, n00b question, where are the rear suspension bushes/bushings as I want to make sure they are lubed!

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Starting the 'Cat - Whats the knack?  Empty Re: Starting the 'Cat - Whats the knack?

Post  past-it Sun Aug 12 2012, 13:55

They are all different, mine needs choke almost all the time with a small amount of throttle, a friends bike needed choke but not throttle. The wifes Fazer never needs choke summer or winter. As for the suspension bushes they're the swing arm pivot(large bolt through the frame) and all the bushes on the linkage from the swing arm through to the bottom of the Shock assembly. The bike will have to be supported to remove weight from the suspension. A longish job but worth it in the long run.
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Starting the 'Cat - Whats the knack?  Empty Re: Starting the 'Cat - Whats the knack?

Post  mrfrance Sun Aug 12 2012, 13:55

If I know my cat is cold I will always use the choke and a little bit of throttle to get her started (just try and keep revs low). Hope this helps
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 12 2012, 15:31

Same here when its winter or the bike is cold I use choke and a little bit of throttle, but in summer mine kicks in with out choke and just a little bit of throttle again.

I also change my spark plugs every six months which helps alot. But I do use my cat everyday hope this helps.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Aug 12 2012, 22:29

past-it wrote:They are all different, mine needs choke almost all the time with a small amount of throttle, a friends bike needed choke but not throttle. The wifes Fazer never needs choke summer or winter. As for the suspension bushes they're the swing arm pivot(large bolt through the frame) and all the bushes on the linkage from the swing arm through to the bottom of the Shock assembly. The bike will have to be supported to remove weight from the suspension. A longish job but worth it in the long run.

Well I tried starting her after I washed her today with full choke and no throttle and she started first time. Perhaps it needs choke when it's cold in that case. I know when it's warm it doesn't need it.

Ok, do you mean the big bolt by the footrests? Is there any pictures/how to kicking around?

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down