Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A slightly damp ride out...pics too!

+3
kwakkat
robertcains
Radar
7 posters

Go down

A slightly damp ride out...pics too! Empty A slightly damp ride out...pics too!

Post  Radar Mon Mar 09 2009, 00:09

Today was my last day before I go back to work; the sun was shining and the sky was blue, completely at odds with the treerible weather forcast. So I dragged out the Thundercat and Thumper (of TBF) rode over from Brum to join me on his Tiger. By the time he arrived the weather had changed and it was pouring down...as the bike was out already and Thumper had ridden 30 miles to join me, I just thought 'oh sod it', and decided to press on regardless.

We had barely got underway when the heavens really opened and we decided to go a whole 3 miles and stop at the cafe in Bewdley! However by the time we got there the weather had improved (slightly) and we carried on, taking the locally famous 'switchbacks' road that runs alongside the River Severn, that looked swollen and angry today. A big motocross meet was taking place in fields next to the road and I was tempted to stop and watch but we carried on, picking up the A451 and going through Dunley. The rain was still coming down, the roads were wet, mud and gravel strewn. Grip was in short supply. Now this doesn't sound like the recipe for a classic days riding, but I find it satisfying to ride in these conditions occasionally as it requires a delicate touch on the controls, picking your way around the various bits of potholes, gravel, road kill, mud etc etc

We paused briefly to take the superb view of the Malverns, set against an expansive, angry looking sky. Both bikes were absolutely filthy by now and splattered in mud from top to bottom. Oh well, we buy 'em to ride 'em!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
A somewhat muddy Thundercat against a moody, stormy backdrop with the Malvern Hills off in the distance

Overall the B4197 is a challenging, bumpy, twisting road that would be great fun on the right bike: On a Supemoto you would be untouchable on here if you knew what you were doing.

We turned onto the A44 towards Bromyard and soon spotted a cafe with a biker friendly sign outside. No bikes in evidence, but then the weather was really bad by now! There was a warm welcome and the food was great. Give it a try when passing this way. Overtly biker friendly places deserve our support.

The food at the Biker frindly A44 cafe is of somewhat higher qulaity thn the sign! Well worth a stop for a cuppa and a bacon butty

Suitably warmed and refreshed we continued towards Bromyard on the A44 for a couple of miles before heading back towards Stourport-on-Severn on the B4203. This is a more open road than the 4197 and under more normal circumstances a fair bit quicker, but the already bad weather had got a whole bunch worse as a raging, black sky opened up on us like a brodside from a battleship. The rain was sweeping across the road almost horizontially and I was a really fight to keep the bike straight, as ice cold rain drops like bullets peppered me.

Once back home in Kidderminster a qucik inspection showed my Thundercat to absolutely filthy. Oddly the Tiger looked at home with a bit of mud lending its 'adventure-bike' pretentions some credibilty.

The muddy Thundercat still managed to glint in the sunshine that suddenly, and all too briefly, turned up

Why doesn't his bike look as muddy as mine?? Still, it started to hail 15 mins after he left for home lol! Spring in the UK, don't you just love it??

So despite the terrible weather a cracking 50 mile ride. Cheers for coming out Thumper old pal!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

A slightly damp ride out...pics too! Empty Re: A slightly damp ride out...pics too!

Post  robertcains Mon Mar 09 2009, 06:57

I have to admit to mostly being a fair weather rider, however when situations like that arise its always a really good learning curve that keeps your throttle jockey skills in check Suspect

Great day out by the look mate great
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

A slightly damp ride out...pics too! Empty Re: A slightly damp ride out...pics too!

Post  kwakkat Mon Mar 09 2009, 09:45

went out on sunday
the sun was shining the sky was blue
3/4 oof a hour later the sky was grey & black its was rain hailing it down
i knew i should have put on my all weathers but the leathers are so much nicer lol
stopped at a cafe & dribbled all over the floor have a couple of cups of coffie 1 for each
hand lol waited for the rain to stop it din,t so got on the bike & had a quick dash for home . left the bike outside (to washed it self ) lol dribbled all over the house had a hot shower more ( dribbling ) put the now rain washed bike away hung up all the wet clothes
& watched the bloody sun come out again with blue sky
don,t you just love biking
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09 2009, 11:14

Do we really need to here about you dribbling pale poor fred. The only ride i managed this weekend was Saturday when i took Ez to the garage for the service/mot. (Hopefully) get her back today although as i'm suffering from horrendous cold Neil has very kindly agreed to lower his standards and ride her back for me (although in fairness to him when i asked him he did say 'yes i will so long as Ezzy doesn't mind') - fingers crossed its not a huge bill as i've mentally spent my next 3 months overtime on another Spidi jacket!!!!
Looking forward to better weather next weather as i'm off and hoping to get a few miles in (so long as the hail has stopped by then!)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Mon Mar 09 2009, 13:30

I don't go out in the rain by choice but have been caught in some monsoons in the Welshpool region in the past Laughing and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. If you can stay mostly dry and warm then there is a sense of satisfaction in riding well rather than just fast.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  westie Mon Mar 09 2009, 19:39

Hey Pete, have you heard about "Tena for Men" it'll help with the dribbling Wink
westie
westie
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 164
Hobbies : Retired into DIY & house renovation.
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09 2009, 19:47

Or i'm sure ellie will be happy to snap on the latex gloves and assist Laughing
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Yorkshire_Thundercat Mon Mar 09 2009, 21:18

....glad (in a funny sort of way) that it wasn't just me who got wet (& dirty) yesterday......... I set off in the sun, which quickly turned to wind & rain, a bit more sun?? then within 10 miles HAIL (the road was covered), more rain (a LOT more rain) then snow as i came back over the pennines to arrive home to SUNSHINE. I was obviously frozen and with teeth chatterin dumped the leathers in the utilility room and ran the bath - AHHH Radox Cool

Why do waterproof gloves fill with rain then hold the water, anybody who saw me at a junction thought i was raising my fist to the sky BUT really i was squeezing my gloves and draining water out of my sleeves.
Yorkshire_Thundercat
Yorkshire_Thundercat
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 122
Hobbies : Construction
Humour : Dry
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Mar 09 2009, 21:32

Or i'm sure ellie will be happy to snap on the latex gloves and assist

Nothing I havent seen before......

ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Mon Mar 09 2009, 21:46

after all the threats of latex gloves tena pad (i had to ask fred what they were )
ive been to J&S & spent a shed load of cash on new all weather all dancing water /cold proof gear + groe tex allstar boots
seeing we are going to Wales were the top designer clothes are kagoo,s
& sow wester hats &
brown is the new black ? what ever
the only ring you,l need a glove for is a oven glove for a gas ring Very Happy
i thank you
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399