Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heated grips not fitting correctly!

4 posters

Go down

Heated grips not fitting correctly! Empty Heated grips not fitting correctly!

Post  Dean-J Mon Mar 05 2012, 21:43

Ok so with my subscription to RIDE magazine i got a pair of Kies Heated grips free Smile

Went to fit them to the bars today and found that they are both slightly oversize ( say 2mm) and even with a whole tube of grip glue, they hadnt taken after a couple hours, so im highly doubtful they are going to! Steam Ears

Now being a freebie you just know its going to be a whole load of hassle sending the damn things back, so im going to have to get around this by thickening up the bars somehow.

If they weren't heated, i would have probably wrapped them up in insulating tape and hoped for the best, i mean the bar ends hold the grip onto the bar, its just slippage thats the issue, especially on the throttle side!

Considered something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NON-SLIP-Textured-Handle-30mm-Black-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-/190608489829?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2c6126bd65#ht_3057wt_1163

If i rough up the bars with some 40grit, that should ensure they stay on when shrunk, but am wondering on the effectiveness of getting the grip to stick to the tape? Maybe some epoxy glue would do the trick?

Any ideas welcomed!

Oh, and on a side note, to anyone thinking of buying these grips ( not that you will now you know they dont fit properly!) you also need to modify the bar end with a grinder to fit inside the grips properly as they are about 7mm shorter than the standard Yammy ones!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 244
Humour : Filthy!
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Heated grips not fitting correctly! Empty Re: Heated grips not fitting correctly!

Post  Rosco Mon Mar 05 2012, 23:00

To get grips off (without cutting them off) I've used a long thin flat screwdriver and then squirted wd40 and worked my way round gently with the screwdriver and wd40.

Then a bit a twisting and pulling and sweating (ah it takes me back) they should just slide off (with a bit more twisting pulling and sweating.

You'll need to thoroughly clean the wd40 off afterwards before glueing. Brake cleaner or suitable solvent is probably easiest.

Before you fit then try and try again to position the grips and check all controls ESP. Front brake and full lock. and full throttle Wink

Once you're 100% sure then check it one more time......can you tell I've been here before?

I'd try building it up with something that the glue will be able to grip to.
I think masking tape is probably best for that job. I've a feeling that the glue won't get a grip on electrical tape.

I also think that the glue for fitting them is just superglue.

Apply it all over but mainly to the start (near the barend) as it will be pushed upU to the other end.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Heated grips not fitting correctly! Empty Re: Heated grips not fitting correctly!

Post  Dean-J Tue Mar 06 2012, 16:52

Cheers rosco, i did indeed use Masking tape in the end, along with Epoxy Resin to secure. worked a treat Smile
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Tue Mar 06 2012, 18:01

Just pray you never need to get them off again, the way they're fixed now you'll need a welding torch to get them Off Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Mar 06 2012, 19:33

No worries Dean.

Yep....they'll defo be stuck for now. Fingers crossed they keep working as they won't be easy to take off again in a hurry.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Tue Mar 06 2012, 20:38

Ah no worries there guys, Destruction is my forte! Laughing

Just couldnt take the chance of them coming loose when out riding, so figured Epoxy was probably about as secure as it gets!

Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Tue Mar 06 2012, 21:22

My mate suggested hair spray to mount my new grips. Easy to remove if you ever want to change them. So far, all still stuck. Mind you they were the right size.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Tue Mar 06 2012, 22:08

Yep hairspray is great when the grips are a snug fit on the bars Smile
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down