Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what did i do to all the tyre fitters??

+4
stretchie_
Wooster
bobh
andy600r
8 posters

Go down

what did i do to all the tyre fitters?? Empty what did i do to all the tyre fitters??

Post  andy600r Thu Mar 01 2012, 21:37

I ordered some tyres off the internet a few weeks ago and today i took my back wheel off and put it in the car along with the new tyre and went round the corner to my local tyre garage since they repaired a puncture for me a while back on my cat, anyways i asked them if they would just pop my new tyre on for me and they turned around and said they dont do bike tyres anymore, i though ok so i trundled off to the next one and they said they dont deal with bike tyres, i ended up going to 4 others including savvoy and quick fit and every one i went to turned me down. What did i do lol is it much different from putting a car tyre on?? Or is everyone just having a bad day and cant be bothered haha still havnt got my new tyre on ill try again tomorro.

sorry for my winge haha. old
Andy
andy600r
andy600r
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 59
Hobbies : job - plant operator. biking, drawing, mechanical interests
Registration date : 2011-10-02

Back to top Go down

what did i do to all the tyre fitters?? Empty Re: what did i do to all the tyre fitters??

Post  Guest Thu Mar 01 2012, 21:42

thats a pain in the bum eh - we're quite lucky round here - Bush's do them either a take in or a ride in service- as do Holbeach tyres - both of them you have to ring and book if you're riding in as they only have one or 2 of the tyre fitters that do bike ones so whether they're different or not i don't know. I actually get a mobile bike tyre fitter to do mine - think last quote was £10 more than if i'd taken bike or tyres to the tyre garages and all i have to do is give him the keys to me garage and put the kettle on Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

what did i do to all the tyre fitters?? Empty Re: what did i do to all the tyre fitters??

Post  bobh Thu Mar 01 2012, 22:33

I worked out that with what I could save buying tyres online it was worth investing in a bead breaker and doing them myself. I already had the levers from way back when all bike tyres had tubes.

A mate has gone the whole hog and bought a proper machine and a compressor, but now he charges garage prices to his mates for fitting.

The pros fit a new valve every time, but I reckon that's just because it's the quickest way to let the air out of the old tyre. If a valve can last 40,000 miles and several years on a car it shouldn't need changing every 6-8,000 on a bike.

I just balance them up in the bike, with the calipers pulled out of the way - it seems to work OK, at least up to the speeds I ride at. censored
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Fri Mar 02 2012, 09:12

Some get a bit stuffy about fitting them if you haven't bought the tyres through them, and when they do, some try to charge what looks like a disproportionate price for the job.

Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri Mar 02 2012, 10:13

There's different fittings for holding car and bike wheels, I'm guessing because of the width of the wheel itself. Not all tyre machines will do bike tyres. The machines hold the outer edges of car wheels while you put the tyre on but for bike wheels they hold from the inner edge, near where the spokes meet the hoop of the wheel

I was looking into it because I would love a machine (too lazy to do it all by hand) that would do the bike, the car and the Land Rover tyres but was waaaaay too expensive in the end... But one day....

: )
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Fri Mar 02 2012, 17:50

i have friend works in car tyre service and there is on need to go to bike service they do that Smile
the place you visit.... they just to lazy
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1310
Hobbies : Tattoos, PS4, Airsoft
Humour : dark humour
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  frazmcfraggle Tue Mar 27 2012, 22:30

What sort of price should I expect to pay for getting two fitted, taking bike and tyres to a fitter ?
frazmcfraggle
frazmcfraggle
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 182
Hobbies : On The Buses
Humour : Sarcastic / Cheeky
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Tue Mar 27 2012, 22:59

I remeber that last year it was £30 for fitting to the bike. I save around a tenner. by buying on line. Its a bit cheaper if you take just the wheels.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  andy600r Wed Mar 28 2012, 20:33

I bought online aswell and cost me around a tenner to fit them each...... when i eventually found somewere :lol3:
andy600r
andy600r
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 59
Hobbies : job - plant operator. biking, drawing, mechanical interests
Registration date : 2011-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Wed Mar 28 2012, 23:08

My local bike shop (a Yamaha main dealer) charges £12.50 for fitting a tyre to a loose wheel or £25-30 for a ride in ride out service.
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down