Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An idiot aboard (an in tents experience)

+3
Rosco
Dirt Bike Dave
ady66
7 posters

Go down

An idiot aboard (an in tents experience) Empty An idiot aboard (an in tents experience)

Post  ady66 Sun Feb 12 2012, 22:46

Thought I'd post a brief resume of the weekend trip to Snowdonia for the Dragon.

Ever wish you'd just stayed in bed? The trip didn't start well. Hopped on the bike early Saturday and tried to negotiate the compacted and polished snow/ice that still covered the gravel track between my house and the tarmac road. Felt the bike slewing sideways and put a foot down to find less grip than was needed to keep the plot upright (arse, I hope the roads aren't this bad). After extracting leg and somehow managing to pick the laden bike back up I made the tarmac and met up with pal on Bandit 600.

Departing from Suffolk, after 20 miles I was already starting to lose feeling in fingers (muffs but no heated grips) when we hit freezing fog for about 50 miles, with all the trees and vegetation whited out. With ice forming constantly on the inside and outside of visors there was no option but to ride visor open. An hour later we were questioning our sanity, but once on the M6 things were definitely warming up, feeling positively balmy (or less barmy) by comparison.

It was then just a case of killing off mileage on the M6 and M54 (with large breakfast in Shrewsbury) till we hit the A5 and the more enjoyable bit of the journey, winding fairly cautiously through the greasy corners until we reached the rally control in Capel Curig and then the site a few miles beyond. Tents up and gladly retire to the bar for a few pints, a chinwag with fellow rallygoers and a look at the bikes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sunday morning dawned damp and misty, but not cold. Strike camp and head for home, in 100 mile stretches with a few minutes break in between. The 'Cat is a superb bike for long distance and didn't miss a beat ('cept for the muffs occasionally hitting the killswitch when I turned the bars at low speed). I sometimes wish the bars were slightly higher for some of my back road riding, but when on the dual carriageways and motorways you can drop into a comfy slouch on the tankbag and watch the miles click away. No carb icing on this trip either, but I did add some FST on the outward trip and filled up with 97 RON which may have made a difference.

Back home by 3.00 pm with a total mileage of 575 miles. Better wash the salt off tomorrow. All the best clink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ady66
ady66
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Back to top Go down

An idiot aboard (an in tents experience) Empty Re: An idiot aboard (an in tents experience)

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Sun Feb 12 2012, 23:14

Excellent stuff mate. I'm jealous. Sounds like you guys had a blast. Can't wait for some trips meself this year.
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

An idiot aboard (an in tents experience) Empty Re: An idiot aboard (an in tents experience)

Post  Rosco Sun Feb 12 2012, 23:17

Crikey. Another crazy cat.
Is B&Q'iness of bike directly related to craziness?
Glad you enjoyed your run. Did you catch the dragon?

It is the Greasyness of the roads that scares me. I wheel spun the car for about 40yds on leaving a roundabout today in East Kilbride. I did have my foot to the floor in 2nd however.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ady66 Sun Feb 12 2012, 23:27

Dave, yeah it was a good trip - long way to go but there's not much else to do in February Very Happy
Rosco - I'd never made the B&Q connection 'til you mentioned it - might have to paint it now. Didn't catch dragon but there's always next year...
ady66
ady66
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Feb 13 2012, 08:38

Nice write up mate and glad you had a good trip, weather was uncharacteristically mild I'm lead to believe though it didn't feel like that when lying in a tent in a field!!

What time did you ride through Betsw Y Coed? We were sat on some benches on the main road when a cat and another bike rode past, it could have been you, about 12:30pm??
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  billyw Mon Feb 13 2012, 09:02

Inspiring stuff mate - though not inspiring enough to make me break out the tent here!
Glad you had a blast, lets hope for milder weather soon.
Cheers
Billy
billyw
billyw
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1098
Hobbies : Teacher/ sports/ music
Humour : As often as possible
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  ady66 Mon Feb 13 2012, 09:40

Cheers Billy. Steve, it must have been about 2.30 when we hit Betws-y-coed. Silver/black/orange (B&Q!) with a red Bandit with nose fairing in tow.
ady66
ady66
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Mon Feb 13 2012, 18:55

I went to the Dragon back in about 1963 on an old 500 Norton single with a mate on the back. Dynamo packed up on the way home. Then got caught in a snowstorm coming back through the Peak District.

An unforgettable experience, but not one I've ever felt the urge to do again! But respect to those that do.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Feb 13 2012, 19:26

I think Ady will agree the weather there wasn't as bad as it could have been, damp,misty and a bit cold but not the torrential snow storms and sheet ice they've had in the past, the lads I was with said I got off easy for my first one.

The ride down caused the most difficulty. Dont know about you Ady but I'll certainly be doing it again next year
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  ady66 Mon Feb 13 2012, 20:17

Bob, I've seen pictures of some of the 60s rallies and I think we've got off lightly in recent years. It's all about timing though, one of these days we might get caught. Modern bikes make a difference as well - two years ago I took my xs650 cafe racer which was harder work with vibes and no fairing. Still get a fair few Brit bikes and seasoned veterans there though (and the odd one from Germany, Norway, Switzerland...).
Steve, yes the weather got better the further west we went, which is unusual as it's normally the other way around. I will likely be going again next year.
ady66
ady66
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Mon Feb 13 2012, 20:28

:( i never have ride out yet :(
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1310
Hobbies : Tattoos, PS4, Airsoft
Humour : dark humour
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  ady66 Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:30

Hey Tom, there's always next year but a bit of a trek from Glasgow - tickets on sale early October but have to get in quick.

Nearly Spring, will soon be a case of too many excuses for a ride out, not enough time!
ady66
ady66
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:32

is any ride out close to glasgow?
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Feb 13 2012, 22:11

I'm itching to get out again this weekend if I can find some company!!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Feb 13 2012, 23:04

tomcom wrote:is any ride out close to glasgow?

We'll get some adhoc ones eventually Tomcom.
April for Weemac is nearest to Glasgow.
Have a look in something for the weekend
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Tue Feb 14 2012, 11:44

i dont know will i have free from work but i will love to join
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down