Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from rainy London

+7
SteveCat
yamahamad
greencat
0ldcat
ellie
Rosco
kenndo1
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hello from rainy London - Page 2 Empty Hello from rainy London

Post  kenndo1 Tue Sep 06 2011, 00:22

First topic message reminder :

hi all,

My name is Ollie, Im 22 and i was fortunate enough to stumble across what seems like a fantastic forum here Very Happy green smile

I have been into bikes since i was 16 when i bought my first bike which was only a 50cc scooter.

A few years later and lots of tuning parts too i had made the bike into a nippy little machine but more importantly learnt alot about bike engines and mechanics and really fell in love with bikes.

Last year i than went to south east asia and bought an old 125cc 2 stroke minsk which served me brilliantly for nearly 5000 kilometers through Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. If some of you are interested I will gladly post some pics up if you like.

Anyway back to the present, I passed my DAS license last tuesday and am now looking for a 600. I have toyed with the idea of a bandit, fazer or cbr until i came across the Thundercat. And I am sure you will all be pleased to know that I am developing a preference for a Cat.

Any advice on potential decent Cats on the market would be great, I have around 1000-1500 to spend at most.

Look forward to meeting you all

Ollie Smile
kenndo1
kenndo1
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 60
Hobbies : student, bikes, travelling....
Registration date : 2011-09-05

Back to top Go down

Hello from rainy London - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello from rainy London

Post  kenndo1 Mon Sep 19 2011, 12:15

Hi guys, back from my week away in Tenerife, was nice to finally see some sunshine! Hope your all well

Anyway back to finding myself a cat now and i have come across a couple i am interested in and was hoping to see what you guys think.

Number 1)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3233224.htm

Spoke to the owner, who is in his fifties and has ridden bike for a fair few years now. He is the 4th owner and has owned the bike for 6 years. 1998 model with 16k miles. According to him the bike is in really good condition, rear shock is rust free, no problems with second gear, chain and sprocket have plenty left, tyres are also decent. Comes with paddock stand and other bit and bobs. Aftermarket exhaust. Hasnt used the bike much in the last few year but regularly started up and ran through gears on paddock stand and up and down street. Dattatagged and alarmed. Upgraded headlight bulb. Never had advisories on mots, besided need for new front tyre which he replaced. Always reliable and no problems during his ownership.

Bad points: No stainless steel downpipes, but apparently the orginial are in very good nick. Limited service history (apparently previous owner was moving house and promised to send service history but never did)

Overall the seller seemed quite an honest guy, he happily spoke about the bike for a lenghty period and didnt seem like he was tyring to hide anything. Answered all my questions.

Number 2)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3232684.htm

1998 cat with 16.5k miles. 3 owners. Some service history and recently serviced for 140 quid, come with givi rack and top box. No problems with gears or suspension. Rides fine.

The owner didnt really engage very much and just said the bike was in good nick for its age and rides well and never had any problems with it. Was used as a commuter in london for some time during his ownership.

Both bikes are based close to another in essex, so i could go and see both in one day.

Number 3)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Yamaha-Thundercat-YZF600R-Low-Mileage-No-Reseve-/170698977262?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item27be73afee#ht_500wt_1156

2002 Cat, 10k miles. 2 owners. Braided Brake Hoses, Double Bubble Screen, LeoVince Exhaust,Part Service History, Michelin Macadam tyres with plenty of tread left.

Havent managed to get hold of seller yet hence the limited info, but still would appreciate your thoughts.

Number 4)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3214961.htm

1998 cat with 30k miles. Stainless steel downpipes, rear end swingarm powdercoated, new rear shock off a 2005 US cat, new swingarm bearing replaced 2 weeks ago, chain and sprocket in good condition, tyres half way through life. Datatagged, tons of receipts and full service history, aftermarket exhaust and filter, new battery.

Bad point: Far away as its based in devon, also the mileage is substantially more than the other bikes, 7 previous owners.

Cheers guys, look forward to hearing your thoughts and sorry for the long post!

kenndo1
7Bronze
7Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Sep 19 2011, 12:44

Not sure if you noticed that Number 3 was advertised on this site, maybe the contact details in this thread will help you.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  kenndo1 Mon Sep 19 2011, 12:59

Cheers steve.

What do you make of the rust on the rear shock though as shown in picture 4 on the ebay listings below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Yamaha-Thundercat-YZF600R-Low-Mileage-No-Reseve-/170698977262?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item27be73afee#ht_500wt_1156
kenndo1
kenndo1
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Sep 19 2011, 14:06

Hi mate. I'd factor replacing it with something like a Hagon replacement (other makes are available) into the cost. Might help to get a few bob off the price.

Make sure you do relevant checks too for buying any vehicle.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  kenndo1 Mon Sep 19 2011, 14:29

cheers for that rosco.

What do you guys make of the other bikes i listed in the previous post.

I need to find a bike pretty quickly as im moving back to uni end of this week, so I have my work cut out :S
kenndo1
kenndo1
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2