Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TT......2012!!

5 posters

Go down

TT......2012!! Empty TT......2012!!

Post  seancat Mon Aug 29 2011, 20:11

Hi All,

I know its a bit early, but I have decided to take the plunge and go to the TT next year.
Im basically planning it all now, as I have discovered, things book up......Fast!!!!!!
I already have the ferries booked from Liverpool, And even though we have to wait 3 days after the senior race to get back, I dont mind!

I have decided to go in a car with 3 others (Me and the Mrs wanted to go on the Cat, but slowly realized we needed shed loads of stuff for a 9 night camping trip, so abandoned that idea Rolling Eyes

Have any of you guys been to the TT?
If so, do you have any pointers, tips, good viewing points, words of wisdom and advice!?!!?

Next is to book the campsite....showers I think are a must! Very Happy
seancat
seancat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 152
Hobbies : Designer
Humour : Drier than a Nuns chuff!
Registration date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

TT......2012!! Empty Re: TT......2012!!

Post  joshhatton Tue Aug 30 2011, 09:10

I'm also wanting to go. I want to camp but 9 days seems a lot without a decent wash :(
joshhatton
joshhatton
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy_2005R1 Tue Aug 30 2011, 13:01

As you're going for so long, you've got plenty of chance to pick out some cracking spots to watch from. My personal favourites are Bradden Bridge (sit in the church yard, pay £5 and you get access to a burger van, plus a couple of bogs), Glencrutchy Road and Quarterbridge are fantastic spots to get close to the bikes, get a sense of the awesome speed they manage and still be near the nightlife/ pubs. If you're around here on race day, you can walk to different view points with some ease.

Further round the course, Glen Helen is good as they slow a bit, but the midges eat you alive and you're pretty much stuck there whilst the roads are closed, so I'd advise doing that on a practice day rather than a full on race day.

Ballaugh Bridge is always a good photo spot (the one they jump over), I've never been there but my mate whose been for years says it's good.

Last one I recommend is good old Creg-Ny-Baa. Mate went there in practice week 2 years ago and said it was amazing fun, especially if you manage to get out on the balcony.

You've already said you're driving, so that's one point I don't need to make. Last year we camped next to one lad who didn't make it back to his tent, he went out on the course early one evening to have a ride of it for the first time and it took his life. Too many people say that you get sucked into riding beyond your abilities as other bikes go flying past.

Sombre bit aside, it's a fantastic experience, we're hoping to go for a few nights this year, one just wasn't enough last year. Its an amazing atmosphere and you meet all sorts from everywhere round the world, plus see bikes being ridden to within inch of their lives just metres from you!

ENJOY!! Very Happy
Andy_2005R1
Andy_2005R1
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Registration date : 2011-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post  littlecat Tue Aug 30 2011, 18:03

i was considering it for next yer, but i have a very good friend racing the manx, so think i'll go for that instead
littlecat
littlecat
1Gold
1Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 535
Hobbies : artist
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy_2005R1 Wed Aug 31 2011, 08:59

Oddly enough, was chatting with my mate in the pub last night and we came to the same conclusion. So we'll be doing the Manx instead next year
Andy_2005R1
Andy_2005R1
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Registration date : 2011-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post  seancat Wed Aug 31 2011, 22:08

Andy_2005R1 wrote:As you're going for so long, you've got plenty of chance to pick out some cracking spots to watch from. My personal favourites are Bradden Bridge (sit in the church yard, pay £5 and you get access to a burger van, plus a couple of bogs), Glencrutchy Road and Quarterbridge are fantastic spots to get close to the bikes, get a sense of the awesome speed they manage and still be near the nightlife/ pubs. If you're around here on race day, you can walk to different view points with some ease.

Further round the course, Glen Helen is good as they slow a bit, but the midges eat you alive and you're pretty much stuck there whilst the roads are closed, so I'd advise doing that on a practice day rather than a full on race day.

Ballaugh Bridge is always a good photo spot (the one they jump over), I've never been there but my mate whose been for years says it's good.

Last one I recommend is good old Creg-Ny-Baa. Mate went there in practice week 2 years ago and said it was amazing fun, especially if you manage to get out on the balcony.

You've already said you're driving, so that's one point I don't need to make. Last year we camped next to one lad who didn't make it back to his tent, he went out on the course early one evening to have a ride of it for the first time and it took his life. Too many people say that you get sucked into riding beyond your abilities as other bikes go flying past.

Sombre bit aside, it's a fantastic experience, we're hoping to go for a few nights this year, one just wasn't enough last year. Its an amazing atmosphere and you meet all sorts from everywhere round the world, plus see bikes being ridden to within inch of their lives just metres from you!

ENJOY!! Very Happy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the tips and viewing advice.

I was talking to a delivery guy at work today about the TT, (he had a Honda racing jacket on, so it sparked up a bike related conversation!)
He was telling me about "Mad Sunday" and the amount of people that never come home.

On a lighter note: We are thinking of camping close to Douglas, I have been told that there are bike shows and drag races at night. Plus there are plenty of bars and restaurants to enjoy in the evening.

As for viewing spots: Creg-Ny-Baa was on my list for the superstock race, and Ballaugh Bridge was my choice for the senior.
I dont know if I'll stick to those vantage points, I might just see where I end up!!

Ahhhh. Id forgotten about Bradden Bridge...... Hmmm. might have to try there also!
I was also looking at getting grandstand tickets for at least one race, just to witness the sheer speed! Very Happy

seancat
seancat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 152
Hobbies : Designer
Humour : Drier than a Nuns chuff!
Registration date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post  sgtbash Mon Nov 07 2011, 13:35

Hi Seancat,
Did you manage to sort yourself a campsite for the TT next year?
I am going over with me brother and two mates (all on bikes) from the 3rd to the 11th.
It will be my second trip (went in 2010 and really missed it this year, its very addictive pmsl ) and my bro has been a few times and knows quite a few good viewing spots and more importantly how to get to them great
We are camping on the St. Georges football club site, which is right next to the pits in Douglas.
We stayed in Port Erin last time, but it really was too far away to be able to enjoy the evening entertainment in and around Douglas, and it was a long (although very enjoyable Twisted Evil ride to the viewing spots each day )
If you want to chat about anything, or fancy meeting up over there for a clink , give us a shout . Cant say im the most experienced TT goer ever (yet) lol but its always nice to know someone who has been before to shallow the learning curve a bit old lmao
Trev.
sgtbash
sgtbash
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 10
Hobbies : facilitator of electrical current/ Biking, Karting
Humour : None to speak of, so don't upset me. lol.
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down