Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome newbies!

5 posters

Go down

Welcome newbies! Empty Welcome newbies!

Post  weasley Fri Jun 24 2011, 14:14

I have noticed that there has been a large influx of new members recently, many of whom are active and posting (rather than spambots or drive-by posters).  A quick look at the member list shows 180 new members since 1/1/2011, of whom 68 have posted more than 1 message.

It is great not only that people are interested in the Thundercat as a bike, but that you are finding your way to this forum and sticking around to get to know us.

What I have also noticed is that the ride-outs are generally populated by 'old-timers' (with a few exceptions) and whilst it is great to meet old friends and banter about times gone by, it is new members that bring fresh blood to the forum and the meets and help keep it all alive.

I just wanted to throw open the collective arms of the forum to welcome all the newcomers and invite you to take a look at the various rides to see which you might be able to join.  It could be a weekend away, just a day trip or just popping into the pub for a drink.

One of the common statements about this forum is that it is so sociable and friendly.  I can vouch for this, for I was once a newbie, back in the mists of time, and I was made to feel welcome by people who I now count amongst my friends.  One telling statistic is that many (or indeed most) of the long-standing members no longer ride Thundercats, but they still stick around here to enjoy the craic.  What the large influx of newbies has done is increase the Thundercat-riding percentage of the group again, which is only a good thing!

We're right in the middle of riding season now (for those seasonal riders amongst us!) and there are still plenty of opportunities to get involved.  So far this year, we have had:

• Wee Mac, 30 April - an annual season-opener in Scotland, led by Ross, the easiest man in the world to not unlike

• Harz, Germany, 3-4 June - the second year we have joined the large, annual German Thundercat group ride-out.  This year only 2 of us made it - next year, let's see some more!

• Bishop's Castle, 18 June - another annual fixture riding the roads of mid-Wales.  Started 3 years ago by robertcains and always well-organised

Still to come this year are:

• Big Mac, 23-24 July - a second chance to tour northern Scotland with Ross and his clan.  This year we are joined by our German friends.

• Taste of Lincolnshire (ToL), 3 Sept - in it's umpteenth year now, a real treat in the Wolds of Lincolnshire with a side of Yorkshire sometimes thrown in.  Chris (Greencat) herds this one admirably.

• Surf and Turf, 24 Sept - Chris (Eddie990)'s annual pilgrimage to North Yorkshire and the Lake District, this year under temporary new management as Chris undergoes priority reassignment therapy (marriage)

On top of this are informal and impromptu weekend meets, maybe a couple of hours and often including a pub, cafe or ice cream parlour.

You'll have noticed there is a very northern bias to the meets.  This is partly due to the population density of the group and also because that's where the good roads are.  We have met in the South before - the Southern Softies ride of a few years ago took in the Lambourn Downs and Oxon/Berks/Wilts borders and the Big Two (or was it Three?) was held in Exeter.  If you want to ride your roads though, step up and set something up!

And finally, there is talk of a 10 year celebration of the group this year.  This should be taken not as a chance for old crusties to sup ale and recount tales of £1/litre but to get a real cross-section of members, from old to new, to ensure we'll be celebrating in another 10 years.

Of course there's no pressure intended and none should be taken.  All members are welcome on the forum, whether simply to read and learn or to get involved and make new friends.  I just wanted to make absolutely sure that everyone knows they are welcome in all aspects of the forum and to remind us all of the chances to get involved and maybe earn yourself a numpty point or two.

Last edited by 0ldcat on Tue Jul 30 2013, 11:21; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : pinned)
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Welcome newbies! Empty Re: Welcome newbies!

Post  Wooster Fri Jun 24 2011, 14:21

Cheers, it's quite a classy place right enough. Cool

and also because that's where the good roads are

I'd dispute that. Wink
Anyone who has experienced the bone shaking, bike breaking wonders of the Muirkirkburgring might agree though. tongue
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Jun 24 2011, 22:18

This should be taken not as a chance for old crusties to sup ale and recount tales of £1/litre
I remember bitchin about it gonna be over £1 per gallon ! Shocked . . . . that was back in the 70s tho . . . but then I suppose I'm one of the old crusties green smile old

Nice synopsis of the year so far, and to come. I'd like to add my welcomes to all the recent new comers to the forum as well.
Please do feel welcome to take part in any of the organised meets and swell the ranks of the rides out or social gatherings.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Dai-San Fri Jun 24 2011, 23:06

As one of this forums noobies but an old skool Internet user (yes, I had a ZX80, and a TRS-80) I can honestly say that this is one of the most welcoming and friendly forums I have ever had the pleasure to frequent. This also extends to the great welcome me and Dave received at the recent BC3 ride out.

From the first hello when we arrived to the last stop off before we had to leave we didn't feel excluded even for a moment (which can unintentionally happen when a group of old timers meet on this type of event).

I would advise any new forum joiner to jump in feet first on the boards and try and get out to a ride out as soon as possible because there isn't a greater group of riders to learn your Cat's foibles with.
Dai-San
Dai-San
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 338
Hobbies : IT
Humour : I work in IT, am I allowed Humour?
Registration date : 2011-04-10

http://www.dai-san.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Jun 27 2011, 10:14

Wooster wrote:Anyone who has experienced the bone shaking, bike breaking wonders of the Muirkirkburgring might agree though. tongue

I know the Muirkirk to Strathaven road is a bike breaker ........ is that part of the circuit?
What is the entire circuit Wooster?
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Mon Jun 27 2011, 17:09

It's in with these runs I cobbled together a while back.
(Local(ish) for Sunday afternoon runs we used to do.)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down