Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nearly complete 99 'T' cat breaking for parts

+7
stretchie_
SteveCat
ow3n
Rosco
frosty
bm1957
woodstopher
11 posters

Go down

nearly complete 99 'T' cat breaking for parts Empty nearly complete 99 'T' cat breaking for parts

Post  woodstopher Mon Oct 25 2010, 20:56

Have a complete 99 thundercat broken for parts . Has been down the road hard, so the fairing is scuffed and cracked but should be repairable, the L/H case on the engine has a scuff, the usual for a low side. Have kept a couple of minor parts for my other 'cat but everything else is up for grabs. The Forks and rear shock are not included, reconditioning/upgrading them for use on the other. Engine has only 6k on it and was serviced the day before the accident (typical). Anyone need anything, message me with what your after. Not going to ask the world for anything, the missus isn't happy with the engine under the stairs so parts have to shift, and I got lucky with the new cat!!! Rear tyre (continental road attack) has less than 500 miles on it and is barely worn in the center (the writing in the middle of the tire has started to fade. about 0.5mm)
woodstopher
woodstopher

Male Status :

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-10-24

Back to top Go down

nearly complete 99 'T' cat breaking for parts Empty Re: nearly complete 99 'T' cat breaking for parts

Post  bm1957 Thu Nov 11 2010, 06:49

woodstopher wrote:Have a complete 99 thundercat broken for parts . Has been down the road hard, so the fairing is scuffed and cracked but should be repairable, the L/H case on the engine has a scuff, the usual for a low side. Have kept a couple of minor parts for my other 'cat but everything else is up for grabs. The Forks and rear shock are not included, reconditioning/upgrading them for use on the other. Engine has only 6k on it and was serviced the day before the accident (typical). Anyone need anything, message me with what your after. Not going to ask the world for anything, the missus isn't happy with the engine under the stairs so parts have to shift, and I got lucky with the new cat!!! Rear tyre (continental road attack) has less than 500 miles on it and is barely worn in the center (the writing in the middle of the tire has started to fade. about 0.5mm)
Hi.
Do you still have the sidestand? How much?
If you've got it, how much for the cut-off microswitch too?
Thanks
Ben
bm1957
bm1957
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

nearly complete 99 'T' cat breaking for parts Empty Re: nearly complete 99 'T' cat breaking for parts

Post  woodstopher Thu Nov 11 2010, 17:01

Hi Ben, Have both, will work out postage and packing costs and you can have it for that.

Chris
woodstopher
woodstopher

Male Status :

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  frosty Mon Dec 27 2010, 15:57

wouldnt have a seat cowl would you
Thamks Dave
frosty
frosty
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 29
Hobbies : hgv mechanic ,
Humour : peter kay
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Dec 29 2010, 01:04

Hi Chris

Sorry to hear of the lowside and damage to the bike. What happened?
Hope there was no damage to you.
I did less than 50 yds on a new rear tyre (0.00005mm wear possibly) into a lowside so you won't out embarrass me wall I hope.

Hope you get some sales to the needy on here.

Cheers
Rosco

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ow3n Fri Jan 21 2011, 12:00

How much would you want for the engine and box please? I'm finding a lot of false neutrals, how was yours riding?

Last edited by ow3n on Fri Jan 21 2011, 15:22; edited 1 time in total
ow3n
ow3n
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Jan 21 2011, 12:29

ow3n wrote: I'm finding a lot of false neutrals

apologies for the topic deviation - have you changed your oil regularly and checked chain tension? My false neutrals went away after an oil change.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri Jan 21 2011, 13:03

What kind of oil you using?
Are you going to be doing a rebuild? If so, then something to think about might be a factory pro shift kit, alot of people swear by Factory Pro shift kits. A new detent arm with bearings in it and a stronger spring, and depending on your bike a new shift star. I don't think the one on the Thundercat comes off the end of the selector drum, I can't remember.

This kind of thing.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also, where in Bristol are you? Where do you go for a rideout?

Will be getting mine out again soon if you fancy meeting up for a blat somewhere.
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  ow3n Fri Jan 21 2011, 13:46

Hey, thanks for the replies chaps. I don't know what oil is in there, I got a change right after I bought the bike. Or at least I asked for one, but the garage seemed a bit crap so who knows what went on...

TBH I'm not alllll that keen to drop a lot of money into the bike, I plan to sell it and get something a bit newer/faster some time soon. I suppose a new engine is probably on the serious side for a bike I plan to PX.

I'm just south of dursley, so I usually head over the cotswolds to oxfordshire-ish or to east wales.

Out of intrest, how was your blackbird? Do you have an opinion of it versus a comparable age/miles hayabusa?
stretchie_ wrote:What kind of oil you using?
Are you going to be doing a rebuild? If so, then something to think about might be a factory pro shift kit, alot of people swear by Factory Pro shift kits. A new detent arm with bearings in it and a stronger spring, and depending on your bike a new shift star. I don't think the one on the Thundercat comes off the end of the selector drum, I can't remember.

This kind of thing.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also, where in Bristol are you? Where do you go for a rideout?

Will be getting mine out again soon if you fancy meeting up for a blat somewhere.
ow3n
ow3n
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri Jan 21 2011, 14:33

Oh cool so you're either off to Foxy's Diner (or whatever it's called now), Fish Hill or Abergavenney normally??

I've got a few good rides around Brecons area if you fancy it sometime, got an all dayer or just a blat for a burger to Abergavveny and back can be good via Usk.

I've always just used Halfords oils in my 1.5l petrol Honda, 2.5 Diesel Discovery or my bikes and not had any problems so far, but was reading about oils recently and found out about JASO MA2 spec oil. Designed for wet clutches and to aid with grip for the clutch plates to promote good clutch engagement. So might try that next time, if you look around you can get it for £75 for 20 litres but it depends how much oil you go through really.

I'd do the cat up and keep it if I were you mate, it's the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat that makes it go faster, not just the engine.

My mates got a tatty old SV650 and he runs rings around everybody. It's bloody frustrating but good to watch.

As for the BlackBird mate I LOVE it. I've currently got:

- 2001 Fireblade 929. A mint bike less than 30k on the clock, just had a problem with the charging system but that's a common Honda problem so need to look into that and fix.
This bike ticks EVERY box for me, great for scratching, great two's up, great on short journeys, great on long journeys. It doesn't make you want to hoon everywhere but it will easily if you want to. My missus says it's the most comfortable bike she has ever been pillion on and she has done lot's of mileage on the back of several bikes, even more comfortable than the BlackBird she says. AND it's got LOADS of room under the seat for an alarm, chain, disklock, drink, sarnies and a packet of crisps.

- 1998 Blackbird. Tatty as hell, I bought it 2.5 years ago for £1,500 with full hard pannier set and it's currently got about 55k I think on it. Look them up these still go for between £2,000 - £3,000 now for a similar spec so that shows how tatty it is..... but it's still going Very Happy . Get one, get one now.
Can't fault it, mine is a typical Sally Gunnel, not much to look at but a great runner. It can cruise nicely, VERY comfortable for me, especially with the corbin seat.
It'll hustle like a mutha too, totally different kind of power than the Blade. Put the throttle on and it'll shift, not as instant as the Blade, but keep the throttle wide open and at 7k revs it'll kick you in the arse and go in to warp speed.
You've got to put more thought into cornering though, it's got a long wheelbase and won't just tip it like the Blade will.
Campared to a busa? I've never ridden a Busa but in my narrow minded and uneducated view Busa's are for people on Visor down and who read Max Power and are the bike version of a Porshe. You've got to admire the engineering but there ugly as hell not my cup of tea I'm afraid, good engine for car projects though.

- 2001 Thundercat. My first bike and I'm going to keep it until I'm old and leave it to a grandson if I have one when I go. End of. I just love it.

Out of those I'm going to sell the Blade to fund some new tools, ride the BlackBird while I fix the Cat, then when the cat is together, I'll ride that while I strip and pretty up the BalckBird.
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Tue Jan 25 2011, 07:59

Chris,

I've lost the mounting bolts and nuts for the rear half of the front mudguard. (They also clamp the brake hoses) I've managed to bodge it but would you be willing to part with these? I'll pay the postage.

Cheers Rich.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  ow3n Tue Jan 25 2011, 09:27

stretchie_ wrote:Campared to a busa? I've never ridden a Busa but in my narrow minded and uneducated view Busa's are for people on Visor down and who read Max Power and are the bike version of a Porshe. You've got to admire the engineering but there ugly as hell not my cup of tea I'm afraid, good engine for car projects though.
This argument doesn't work on me, I also want a porsche. Wink
ow3n
ow3n
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue Jan 25 2011, 10:27

ow3n wrote:This argument doesn't work on me, I also want a porsche. Wink

There's just no hope for some people pmsl
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

nearly complete 99 'T' cat breaking for parts Empty Visor Down gone

Post  zedhead Tue Jan 25 2011, 11:51

Is it true that Visor Down has shut shop? Pity, I thought it was a good mag, but nothing like the epoch-making Performance Bikes circa the early to mid-1990s. Fast Bikes was a hoot too, but looked like it had been put together by a herd of rutting elk. Now they advocated 'hooning'.
zedhead
zedhead
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-01-21

Back to top Go down

nearly complete 99 'T' cat breaking for parts Empty

Post  Jefft Mon Feb 21 2011, 00:07

I managed to low side mine as well, but part way through getting it going again.

I only need the the right wing mirror and the casing that sticks out on the right hand side throught the fairing, (I think its a started motor cover maybe). How much would you like for them if you still have them? thanks
Jefft
Jefft
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Feb 21 2011, 07:26

Hi Chris,

Would you happen to have the original rear hugger?

Could you PM me please?

Cheers

Ellie girl_crazy
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down