Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello there!

+5
andyb
Toni
yamahamad
SteveCat
RedArmy67
9 posters

Go down

Hello there! Empty Hello there!

Post  RedArmy67 Wed Sep 15 2010, 08:50

I've decided to bite the bullet (in more ways than one) and join the world of the Thundercat Very Happy I'm new to biking (again) having not ridden one since the early 80's - yes, i'm on old so and so. I'm currently working towards my full licence on the direct access scheme and will be doing my Module 1 when I get back from my hols in a couple of weeks and hopefully Mod 2 soon after that.
After much soul searching - and the advice of several mates - I've bought a 'cat too - a 97 with 20k on the clock in silver/yellow. It's sound and is currently having stainless downpipes fitted due to a little hole on the original pipes (which apparently is a common problem I'm told). It was also modified with some aftermarket stuff but I'm replacing these items with originals (can, lowering suspension, screen, too much carbon etc). It rides well and SWMBO can't wait to get on it also so it's a win win I reckon?
I'm hoping the experience and knowledge of the members on here will get me through the next few months and beyond - I'm looking forward to some interesting debates too.
Cheers
Mark
RedArmy67
RedArmy67
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 7
Hobbies : Public Sector
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Back to top Go down

Hello there! Empty Re: Hello there!

Post  SteveCat Wed Sep 15 2010, 10:02

Hi Mark and welcome. Think you have made a good choice there. My previous bike was early 80's technology, been a bit of change in time. Don't expect self canceling indicators though, but handling and power are vastly superior.
There are a number of 'mature' riders here, so you are in good company.

Debates, um interesting, plenty of banter. Good that your other half wants to get on the bike. All the best with your Mod 1 and 2.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Wed Sep 15 2010, 13:00

Hi & welcome mark great choice of bike, any queries or problems are usually resolved quickly with the wealth of knowledge between the members here. Good luck with the tests & have a nice holiday. Paul.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Toni Wed Sep 15 2010, 18:50

Welcome aboard Very Happy
Toni
Toni
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.thundercat-club.de

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 15 2010, 21:00

Welcome in

Suzie
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Wed Sep 15 2010, 21:08

Enjoy the forum and enjoy the cat great
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Wed Sep 15 2010, 21:24

Hi Mark and welcome. The cat is a lovely piece of kit and take it from me you'll notice the difference from the 80's bikes. I did. At least I'd passed my test so could just jump back on. great
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Hello there! Empty Re Hi there

Post  taximan Wed Sep 15 2010, 22:24

Being new myself, welcome. Best of luck with the tests. You wont regret buying a CAT.

As the others have said, you wont believe the difference over the 80's kit

Regards Taximan
taximan
taximan

Male Status :

Number of posts : 3
Hobbies : Taxi Driver/ My Cat!
Humour : Dry
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Sep 15 2010, 22:28

Hi Mark

Welcome on board.

Enjoy the hol and hope the test(s) go well for you.
Great to have SWMBO onboard although nice to have some private time too Wink

Original bits for cat are sound.....except suspension (never seems to last), headlight (poor spread)

Worthwhile add on are R&G's (saved my bike twice), aftermarket suspension (esp if your's is original and wallowing).
Also consider mirror extenders if you want to see more than your elbows.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Sep 16 2010, 07:31

Welcome aboard chap, best of luck with the DAS. If i can do it, anyone can!!

Great to have SWMBO onboard although nice to have some private time too Wink

Unless 'SWMBO' passes her test and gets her own bike Ross, then you get no private time Hello there! 509645
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  RedArmy67 Thu Sep 16 2010, 08:10

Thanks for the welcome guys (and gals Very Happy ) - it certainly feels friendly on here! SWMBO has been peering over my shoulder like a preying mantis passing comment on the posts and I'm still intact so all's sweet.

Ayup Rosco, interesting comments re suspension and bits; my mate (bike instructor/Traffic Cop etc) who's instructing me has ridden my cat and mentioned the poor view afforded by the mirrors and suggested extenders. He reckons the suspension's sound but the bike does need a new front disc (warped slightly) so they'll be changed as a pair. It also had carbon effect R&G's when I bought it (result) but hopefully I'll avoid testing them!

Would anyone have comment to make on which front discs and extenders to get? It seems there's loads to choose on't interweb thingy (should I post this on another section?)

Mark
RedArmy67
RedArmy67
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 7
Hobbies : Public Sector
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 16 2010, 08:14

RedArmy67 wrote:

Would anyone have comment to make on which front discs and extenders to get? It seems there's loads to choose on't interweb thingy (should I post this on another section?)

Mark

You could put it in the pit stop section - i'm afraid i just have a very good mechanic so i can't help you - i just turn up and say i think Ezzy's poorly and they take it from there!!

Suzie
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Sep 16 2010, 09:08

RedArmy67 wrote:

Mark,

Click here to see the mirror extender discussion.. The ones I have might be considered a bit pricey but they work.
I'd have the discs checked to see if they are a potential MOT fail; they float, so some movement is not an issue.

If you take a look in the Pit Stop and Hints and Tips sections there are various topics which may be of help/interest. Also look out for the , FAQ PDF booklet there is a mine of information in there.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum