Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What years are thundercats available from in UK?

3 posters

Go down

What years are thundercats available from in UK? Empty What years are thundercats available from in UK?

Post  beavy69 Thu Aug 05 2010, 17:09

Don't have a Cat yet and trying to find the best year to buy on my expected (when saved up) budget of £1200 - £1800

MCN say they're made from 1996 to 2003 but have an advert for a 2008 model: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wikipedia (not ideal I know) say from 1994-2007. Also some say 92bhp and others 100bhp, whether they're rounding it up I don't know. Any reccomendations as to the best model to look for, don't care about the colour as I wanna make it all black in the end anyway.

Tim.
beavy69
beavy69
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6
Humour : Don't have a bike yet and there's no dorset flag available so thats the avatar sorted.
Registration date : 2010-08-03

Back to top Go down

What years are thundercats available from in UK? Empty Re: What years are thundercats available from in UK?

Post  Guest Thu Aug 05 2010, 17:14

I wouldn't actually know whether there was a 'best' year to go for its really a case of, i would imagine, keeping your eyes open and when you see one available (there are usually a few around) see what they're like - i'd have thought you should be able to pick up a decent one in your price range - ebay always have them so even if you didn't want to buy off there you'd probably get a fair idea. The guys will be able to tell you what to look out for/not to touch - no doubt they'll be along soon Smile

Suzie haloangel
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

What years are thundercats available from in UK? Empty Re: What years are thundercats available from in UK?

Post  SteveCat Thu Aug 05 2010, 18:19

The units sold in Europe directly by Yamaha ended in 2003, however the US market continued until 2007. Some of those made it over here. The 2008 in the ad must have been when it was registered rather than the year of manufacture.

All the models are pretty much the same, some wiring changes from 97 to 98. The rest is the paint work, the name gave way to the logo in the later models.

Best would be one that is in good condition, mileage shouldn't be an issue they can rack up high miles and with little problem. However that boils down to how its been looked after. Mine is about to turn 100 000 km's and hasn't suffered some of the problems that younger, lower mileage 'Cats have.

If you do look at an US import check if its from California (code on chassis under the seat), they had some hefty restrictions on the carbs to meet the emission regulations there. The previous owner should have had it all removed, but something to look out for.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Thu Aug 05 2010, 21:08

Just get the best you can for the £s. Private will be cheaper but with no or little comeback.

I bought mine from ebay. 2001 (Y) with 18K miles on the clock. Next to no rust as it was only ridden in the dry!

I have now had 3000 exceptional miles on it and i'll be adding another 1000 ish when I travel up north for big mac.

Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  beavy69 Fri Aug 06 2010, 18:25

Thanks a lot for the advice that clears things up.
beavy69
beavy69
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6
Humour : Don't have a bike yet and there's no dorset flag available so thats the avatar sorted.
Registration date : 2010-08-03

Back to top Go down