Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Handle bars

4 posters

Go down

Handle bars Empty Handle bars

Post  stephenbower42 Wed Jul 07 2010, 12:43

Has anybody ever tried moving the handle bar clip ons?
I want to drop my handle bars to below the yoke. It looks like there is plenty of room and the location thread on the top yoke is accessable from top and bottom so I think it might work.
If anyone has tried it I would like to know what the result was like.

I also removed the exhaust baffling at the weekend, I wanted a deeper grunt from the back but didn't want an aftermarket can as I think the originals look the bizz.
I bought a spare original can off ebay for £16... (bargain).
Managed to do it without a single mark on the outside of the can. It sounds very deep, got a great roar to her now, but definately lost a couple of horses so will now need rejetting.

Cheers
Steve
stephenbower42
stephenbower42
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Hobbies : Norton Motorcyles
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Handle bars Empty Re: Handle bars

Post  yamahamad Wed Jul 07 2010, 19:38

Not done it myself as i like the comfort too much but i have seen a few cats with it done. Looks pretty good.

yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Thu Jul 08 2010, 10:05

Going from memory here so forgive me if I'm wrong but I THINK the bars for the cat have a locating tab so they go in the right position so as not to foul the tank when on full lock, and with that in mind if you move them down under the yoke won't they foul the fairing that covers the air intake?

Would like to see it though, bit more sporty. Let us know how it goes on and with pics too

stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenbower42 Thu Jul 08 2010, 11:54

Yeah.... great
Whipped the bars out, clip on's off, top yoke off.
Clip ons back on first, then yoke on and tightened up, then clip on's tightened up.
Your right Stretchie they do have locating tabs but they are accessible from the underneath as well so I just had to change the bolts for some slightly longer ones, and I have also finished it off with a couple of painted black bolt heads in from the top to hide the holes.
It looks good (i think) and the riding position seems better for someone tall and with very long arms like me.
I will be doing about 70 miles on it after work tonight so I'll let you know what I think again after that.
Bars do not foul the tank or the air intake covers on full lock, but only clear by a couple of mm's.
I'll load a few pic's tomorrow as well.
:yzf:
stephenbower42
stephenbower42
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Thu Jul 08 2010, 13:33

stephenbower42 wrote:Your right Stretchie they do have locating tabs but they are accessible from the underneath as well so I just had to change the bolts for some slightly longer ones, and I have also finished it off with a couple of painted black bolt heads in from the top to hide the holes.

Coolio

stephenbower42 wrote:Bars do not foul the tank or the air intake covers on full lock, but only clear by a couple of mm's.
I'll load a few pic's tomorrow as well.
:yzf:

I take it you mean with a couple of mm's when you've got your gloved hands on them

Very Happy

Would hate you to kerb it or run into something doing an evasive amnouvre to have the bars thrown round and crush your likkle pinkies. If that were my my sex life would be ruined

; )

Looking forward to the pics
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenbower42 Thu Jul 08 2010, 14:06

Oh My god, I just took it for a ride (to go and get some bacon rolls) and I can not believe how different it feels. Much more sporty sitting up as I am 6'3" so at arms length I was bolt upright before. and gives you a lot more room to took right in on a main road blast.
but being used to the bike as it was, I now feel like I'm sitting with my head right on top of the front wheel...

I'm not a racer, but I don't like to feel like a ships sale either.
I think I am going to have to give it a couple of hundred miles to get used to it and then choose to keep them that way or return them to the top.
Only takes about 15 minutes if that to do though so I think everyone should try it.
ponder ponder ponder
stephenbower42
stephenbower42
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jul 08 2010, 20:18

stephenbower42 wrote: I'm not a racer, but I don't like to feel like a ships sale either.

Think I know what you mean here. I had never bothered about leaning forward until I did the Autobahn, air brake is applied when sitting up, useful when a 1.1l Opel Corsa pulls out in front of you.

stephenbower42 wrote:Only takes about 15 minutes if that to do though so I think everyone should try it.

Not for me thanks, I think my spine is much further from the petrol tank than most Shocked

You asked in another post about accessories you can add inexpensively ...

Whilst in this cafe style position, are you able to see in the mirrors any better? For the more elevated person, the mirrors don't do much - add to that those whose elbows are further apart than others also have problems.
If rear vision not a problem then no issue, otherwise there has been some discussion on mirrors.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenbower42 Fri Jul 09 2010, 07:18

Ye I had the problem of seeing mainly elbows in mirrors, and to be honnest the riding position does improve that quite a bit for me, although I have also changed the mirrors as the originals are the only bit on the bike I really didn't like.
stephenbower42
stephenbower42
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenbower42 Fri Jul 09 2010, 07:39

OK So I've done about 100 miles with the lower bars now and although it is very tight on full lock so pushing the bike around is sometime odd, I think I am getting used to it and may be keeping ity that way.
A before and after pic.

Original Position:
Handle bars Dscf3014

Lowered Bars:
Handle bars Dscf3015
Handle bars Dscf3016
stephenbower42
stephenbower42
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :