Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

height

+4
ellie
andyb
Panzerbuilder
talbotsh
8 posters

Go down

height Empty height

Post  talbotsh Sun May 09 2010, 17:15

I've bought a thundercat but at 5ft 6ins it's too big. I've already had the suspension linkages altered. Any ideas?
talbotsh
talbotsh

Female Status :

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

height Empty Re: height

Post  Panzerbuilder Sun May 09 2010, 19:00

Try contacting Ezzy's mum. She (Suzie) has had her cat lowered and i'm sure she'll be the best to advise you on what was done to the bike. Shorter links and lowered the front forks as well.

You may be able to get some more by cutting away / lowering the seat.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Sun May 09 2010, 19:27

Sleep in a grow bag maybe?????? pmsl

I'm sure you could probably lower it some more ponder

Welcome to the forum though clink
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sun May 09 2010, 19:53

Welcome...I dont have a problem with being short, but I know someone who does fnarfnar ...... Robertcains has a gel seat, (and hes 5ft 6 too) but he rides mine with no issue.

There are a few members at 5ft 6 and below and really dont have an issue riding their bikes. I suppose the shorter you are, the lower your centre of balance and it would make it easier to drop etc.

Robertcains (Nick) had the same issues when he first had his 'cat, but as his confidence built, the less it was an issue, and Im sure others will tell you the same.

But on the other hand, it may make you more aero-dynamic on the bike!!

Enjoy the ride, and be safe.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 09 2010, 20:16

Hi ,

When you say you've had the linkages altered - not being technically minded - take it you've had a lowering kit? I'm 5'3 with a 29" inside leg and i had mine lowered as far as i could - it wasn't a question of lack of confidence it was fine whilst i was riding it but i found it a job to haul around sat on it and adverse camber was an issue so i decided to have it lowered. Not quite sure i understand the easier to drop line through being short - the only time i dropped mine was when it was on full lock and i grabbed the front brake but having had a bit of training in leaving the front brake well alone it cured the problem (touch wood Smile ).

I got the lowering kit and had it done properly and it lowered the bike by just over 2 inches, in fact i had it lowered as far as it would go and she's definately a baby now and i can now get both feet just about flat on the floor so i can only assume that you haven't had it lowered far enough. Did you get it done at a garage? Like i say, i only got mine done because i found it awkward to paddle around i had to get off everytime or be pulled around - it made no difference to my confidence in riding the bike unless you take into account the fact i now know i can put my feet flat whatever the camber.

Suzie
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sun May 09 2010, 21:46

Like I said, being tall and with a 32'' inside leg naughty I handle my bike easily and dont need any lowering etc, so If i do ever drop mine its coz Im a wally Laughing

But Im told good things come in small packages and its not size that matters :lol3:
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 09 2010, 22:51

Hi there, you are 5ft6" ? You lucky thing ! I'm 5'3 with an inside leg of minimum 29inch -probably . But can I ask you a couple of questions? Is it your first bike ? What inside leg are you ? How long have you had your bike ? I only ask because when I first got the Cat (my first big bike)I did find it a bit on the heavy side - but now I find it's actually fine . At best when I'm stationary on the bike I have just a little bit more than tip toes on the ground .When I fist got it I dropped it twice whilst stationary - but now I'm just a bit more aware of uneven surface and make sure I stop on the flatter bit of the road ahead. A lot of it is gaining experience and confidence and developing your own techniques to overcome any disadvatages of short legs etc, which will happen over time . I do know what you mean by it's a big bike - there seems to be a lot of it ! But it's a brilliant bike and once you get to know the bike you'll love it .Hope that helps .
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 10 2010, 07:45

I usually find its a bloke with a small part that says size doesn't matter pmsl (and let me tell you boys - don't believe it it's lies as far as that goes)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon May 10 2010, 20:15

Hi Talbotsh,

Keep racking up the miles as its without doubt all about confidence green smile I remember when I first got my GPZ500 & thought it was huge then the 'cat was another step again Shocked Ive had mine three years now & without doubt being short makes things a tad more difficult but I dont even think about it now so enjoy clink
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

height Empty good legs

Post  ballio Fri Jun 18 2010, 13:40

what would you thundercat veterans say is a good inside leg measurement to deal with a NON lowered Cat?

i often ride a er6-n and that is fine but i know that they are i think about 15mm lower than a cat.

where is the limit of leg length before it would be practical and more safe to lower?

Stevey B Very Happy
ballio
ballio
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Fri Jun 18 2010, 16:24

Im not a massive amount of help on this subject as i'm 6'2 with inside leg @ 34 " so never had same issues but 'my little friend' (nickname - sawn off) is about 5'6 and has been for a pootle on mine and said he felt fine with it, very similiar to his CBR600F he said felt little bigger but again he found the more he rode the less of an issue it became when he started, suppose it's like lots of things, mental issues often overwhelm, but hope you get sorted and enjoy the 'cat as much as possible!!
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 18 2010, 19:02

don't think it matters so long as the person riding it is happy they can be in control - lets face it it makes no difference the height when you are going along its when you stop - but what do i know anyway Cool
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 18 2010, 22:52

Like Suzie mentioned , when you are on the move height isn't an issue , it's when you stop that being short can be a problem- from not being able to stable the bike because you don't have much in the way of feet on the ground ! I'm 5"3 29in inside leg and when I'm on the Cat I'm on tip toes . I haven't had my bike lowererd but I have adopted certain stopping techniques , and am Just that extra bit careful when I stop .
Also JDM mentioned confidence , which is a big factor and this only comes with a lot of riding and getting to know your bike. Anyway good luck Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 19 2010, 20:59

espaceman3 wrote:I'm 5"3 29in inside leg Very Happy
ooh snap does that mean i can get a go on the max at TOL pmsl
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 19 2010, 23:01

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:
espaceman3 wrote:I'm 5"3 29in inside leg Very Happy
ooh snap does that mean i can get a go on the max at TOL pmsl

Of course you can !
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 20 2010, 09:34

ooh great - i'll have a photo of me on a bigger cruiser than a draaaaaaaaaagstar for me fb page Smile i'll start sewing studs on my waistcoat in preparation green smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 20 2010, 19:01

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:ooh great - i'll have a photo of me on a bigger cruiser than a draaaaaaaaaagstar for me fb page Smile i'll start sewing studs on my waistcoat in preparation green smile

Go on - you know you want to get intouch with your "DARK SIDE" Mwaaaaahhaaaaaa salute
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  ballio Fri Oct 08 2010, 12:03

something to add that i couldnt do a few months ago.

i have had my cat and first big bike for a few months now and i havnt dropped it or anything. I use it everyday in traffic, motorways, everything and now it starting to feel pretty small and comfortable. This is also happening when manouvering whilst off the bike.

I have just got to grips with the bikes weight and balance so if your a bit small dont worry.

im 5ft 9 and its all gravy now. just persist and use regularly and you shouldnt have any problems.

Ballio Very Happy
ballio
ballio
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Oct 10 2010, 20:42

talbotsh wrote:I've bought a thundercat but at 5ft 6ins it's too big. I've already had the suspension linkages altered. Any ideas?

Put on weight...it worked for me!! I am shorter than Robertcains (incredible but true) and ride my Thiundercat (and Fazer thousand) without any real problems
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Oct 11 2010, 07:02

I am shorter than Robertcains (incredible but true)

......and Im reminded daily that its about 'quality' not 'quantity'......... height 115772
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down