Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Riding Position / Fairing Effectiveness

+2
0ldcat
thunder242
6 posters

Go down

Riding Position / Fairing Effectiveness Empty Riding Position / Fairing Effectiveness

Post  thunder242 Sun May 02 2010, 22:59

Hi - great to have found this forum.

Not had a chance to test ride a Thundercat (yzf600r) yet - which would answer my question straight away - but wondered if I could get some feedback on the riding position and the effectiveness of it's fairing.

I have read about it a bit online and read the comment in the "tech specs" section - most reviews say that it's pretty good for comfort, some describe the wind protection as "perfect".

Thought I may be able to cut through the marketing hype by asking you guys.

I must say though - this bike looks the nuts and the second hand prices seem good - I'm actively seeking one out!

Cheers.
thunder242
thunder242
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Riding Position / Fairing Effectiveness Empty Re: Riding Position / Fairing Effectiveness

Post  0ldcat Sun May 02 2010, 23:18

Hi thunder.

Welcome to the group.

Most of the hype you read is true. RiDE magazine did a good write up last month on the cat.

You'll not go far wrong with a good cat. Very under-rated bike it is.

cheers clink
0c
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Riding Position / Fairing Effectiveness Empty Re: Riding Position / Fairing Effectiveness

Post  weasley Sun May 02 2010, 23:28

It is pretty effective. It comes from the days when fairings were fairings, not the skimpy things you get today. I fitted a double-bubble screen to mine to improve the protection even more but as standard it is pretty good. So good in fact that sometimes it gets a little warm in the 'bubble' as the engine and exhaust heat comes up and isn't blown away.

The riding position is really more sports-tourer than supersports. Although it does have clip-ons it is still relatively easy on the wrists and legs, as the pegs aren't too high or rear-set. My ageing bones do tend to ache a little after a long trip, but that is my lack of riding fitness more than anything.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Mon May 03 2010, 02:42

You won't go far wrong in getting a cat Very Happy

Riding positon i find is extremely comfortable and my bike is only used for a very short commute (4 mile round trip) and the weekend blasts around lincolnshire naughty

Enjoy the forum clink
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 03 2010, 14:47

I'm 5'11'' and 12stone and I find the cat has an excellent riding position with good wind protection. My only complaint is a numb bum on any longish ride. My shoulders ache for a bit when I dismount too but thats more to do with me and lack of a woman to provide a decent massage.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Mon May 03 2010, 15:29

Don't know what your comparing comfort to but i'm 6'1" & 14st (i know turning into a porker, giving up fags and taking up beer, kebabs and chocolate as diversionary tactics is a bitch) but must admit i have not had any problems, find it very comfortable and no ache after days out, and my pal who has GSXr 600 has tried getting me to swap when out.

Sure you will find it suitable! great
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  thunder242 Tue May 04 2010, 16:27

Thanks for that folks - cheers!

I'm up for getting one - anyone know of one going? Looking for a red / black one in the £1,200 to £1,500 bracket. Good machines considered regardless of colour!
thunder242
thunder242
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Tue May 04 2010, 17:53

Search bike trader Very Happy
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Tue May 04 2010, 19:30

I got my black and silver y plate off ebay. 18k and very good condition.

Just a bit more than your budget at 1800.

I'm well happy with mine! great
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 05 2010, 08:12

thunder242 wrote:Thanks for that folks - cheers!

I'm up for getting one - anyone know of one going? Looking for a red / black one in the £1,200 to £1,500 bracket. Good machines considered regardless of colour!

Don't know if Jonny on here still has his bike - he was looking to sell - think he listed it in the classifieds bit on here that as a red/black one - there was a guy at work selling his for about 1200 and it looked in fantastic condition and just had new tyres on too if memory serves me correctly - not sure how far you want to travel or if its still up but if you want me to find out let me know.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  thunder242 Wed May 05 2010, 10:58

Hi Ezzy's Mum! Thanks for the post - that would be great if you could point me in the direction of those people and their bikes. I'm planning quite a bit of distance on it around Europe this summmer. Watching bike auto trader, pistonheads - couple other sites - got some time to find the right bike - but will do it if the right one comes along.

Cheers

Last edited by thunder242 on Sun May 16 2010, 12:30; edited 1 time in total
thunder242
thunder242
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 05 2010, 12:42

I'm back at work tomorrow i'll see if the guy has sold his yet and if not get any relevant details for you
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Wed May 05 2010, 22:36

There's a 1-page article in this month's Bike magazine about the Thundercat - it is pretty positive and covers some of the things you should look for, as well as pretty much confirming the comfort of it.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 05 2010, 22:39

Hello and Welcome , I use my Cat during the winter for a nearly 80miles round trip , the fairing offers brilliant protection against the rain and wind , the only really exposed parts are your hands , I would suggest getting some heated grips . The seat is very comfortable and you can move around to adjust or change your position if you start to get aches after being in the same position for too long . The pegs are nicley placed - not to high . Good luck on your search.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down