Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

every cloud has a silver lining

4 posters

Go down

every cloud has a silver lining Empty every cloud has a silver lining

Post  bignige Mon Apr 26 2010, 20:56

As some of you may know I knackered the clutch in the old CBR on the IAM mallory skills day wall the thursday before wee mac & it's not going to be cheap to repair it.
I took it in to the dealer Saturday but the loan bike a VFR800 wasn't available due to the last customer returning it with a badly blowing exhaust.
So I now have his Demo VFR1200 until my bike is repaired.
I gues I'll just have to make do................................. naughty
bignige
bignige
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 112
Hobbies : Pies, Beer n Bikes
Humour : The Beatings will continue until Morale improves !
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

every cloud has a silver lining Empty Re: every cloud has a silver lining

Post  Guest Mon Apr 26 2010, 21:30

I'm experiencing deja vue pmsl
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Apr 26 2010, 21:39

Oh dear.....hope you're coping Smile
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Mon Apr 26 2010, 22:50

bignige wrote:So I now have his Demo VFR1200 until my bike is repaired.
I'd rellish a report on that loan bike please Nige. I'm sniffing and trying to sweet talk my way around SWMBO.
Maths are been done and a test ride of our own is on the cards when Bea is back up to riding again. But an interim Very Happy or grumpy from you IYHO would be good.

Cheers
Tel

PS: Hope the Biffa repair doesn't turn out to be too extortionate $$$$$.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 27 2010, 11:52

That's a shame a bout the VFR , it's a ha pmsl rd life !
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  bignige Tue Apr 27 2010, 15:45

0ldcat wrote:
bignige wrote:So I now have his Demo VFR1200 until my bike is repaired.
I'd rellish a report on that loan bike please Nige. I'm sniffing and trying to sweet talk my way around SWMBO.
Maths are been done and a test ride of our own is on the cards when Bea is back up to riding again. But an interim Very Happy or grumpy from you IYHO would be good.

Cheers
Tel

PS: Hope the Biffa repair doesn't turn out to be too extortionate $$$$$.

Hi Tel, Its the old fireblade thats got clutch issues, 13 years old & 40,000 miles it took exception to being ridden flat out witha pie monster on board, funny that Shocked

Happy to give my impressions when I've gathered my thoughts.
Going out for a ride toinight with acouple of mates & going to hopefully get a bit deeper that just how much shove its has, Overtaking has never been so easy - the top gear roll on is awsome. affraid
bignige
bignige
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bignige Wed May 12 2010, 22:19

Well Tel after a week with it here my thoughts.

Initially you seem to sit on rather than in it & the pegs seemed high for a sports tourer.
The first is soon forgotten the second is the first place where discomfort creeps in.
The screen & fairing are superb & the seat is fine, although there’s sod all room under it. Controls are all spot on & perfectly weighted it is a shade heavier than a CBF which is heavy enough but like most bike’s not an issue when moving.

When riding everything is so well made & precise that it’s so easy. Suspension manage’s to be firm yet plush. The low down & midrange are just awesome & it’s so smooth through the shaft drive that any potential overtake is dispatched effortlessly regardless of what gear your in & there is it’s greatest attribute & biggest drawback.
Its so easy to progress & makes so little fuss that you need to keep one eye on the digital display because it gives you no sensation of the actual speed you are travelling at. This is made worse by the almost vibe free engine & the quiet exhaust (god it’s smooth & powerful – did I mention that already ?)
Brakes are epic, handling is best suited to fast A roads rather than back road scratching, but for some reason you seem to be able to get on the power really early & with so much shove your never left behind.

If you want a very quick effortless bike to devour continents with – ideal.
If you are going to ride it here you’ll need heaps of restraint or if you use the power & it’s ability in the UK, you best like prison food.

Pillion loved the ride quality & turbulence free position, didn’t enjoy position of the rear pegs & having to hold on that tight.

Fuel – I got 36 mpg which puts it bone dry at 150 miles so your going to start looking for a garage at 120 ish if you get spirited ?

Would I buy one ?

Sorry No - It’s so well made & brilliant at what it’s designed to do but there’s no spirit or soul or whatever makes you love a bike & once you’re over the Epic power, what will be left ? OK quality, I’m sure it will last well & hold it’s value - but is that enough for £12,000 & That’s without panniers or heated grips.
So to put that into perspective thats £8,000 + my CBF !!! and its not that good even if I had the cash to buy one.

But it was hugely enjoyable while it lasted. Very Happy
bignige
bignige
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu May 13 2010, 09:18

Thanks Nige, good write-up.

Similar observations were made by someone else I know who has ridden one.

Fuel span is a big problem and he also had an issue with no center stand.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 13 2010, 16:23

Yeah, good write up.

I have a friend who works for a Honda dealership and he has taken the VFR out a few times.

He reckons it's a great bike. I know MCN didn't exactly go overboard about it but, like my friend said, that's just one persons opinion. He really rates it.

Best bet Tel, take it for a test ride. I know Bea will tell you what she thinks from a pillion perspective. Don't really know why I'm telling you this, cos I know that's what you will do anyway.

Let us know how you get on.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue May 18 2010, 12:54

Thanks Nige,

Yeah, good write up. Always good to get a heads up from another rider.

Tony , yup tis exactly what we'll be doing. And as you know, like frank & lynn , my pillion no likey . . . . no bikey !

Only thing is the test ride will have to wait untill bea is over her op, and the test ride is/will be only for a day (they promised). As nige points out . . . . is that enough to get over the wow it's awesome feeling . . . where as he had the benefit of a weeks "test" ride.

but there’s no spirit or soul or whatever makes you love a bike & once you’re over the Epic power, what will be left ?
Well it's a Honda. Many would say that about most of their models, in fact MCN often do, and did so about the Biffer.

Twelve grand plus is an awfull lot for a bike though (before optional extras), so lots of thinking and personal soul searching will be going on before any decission is made.
If and it is a big IF we go with this it'll be a head choice and not a heart thing.
After all we're talking small family car prices here so justification needs to be right up there before Oooooh nice bikey.

Cheers
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down