Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yamaha FZ1S. First 1K miles, a few early impressions

4 posters

Go down

Yamaha FZ1S. First 1K miles, a few early impressions Empty Yamaha FZ1S. First 1K miles, a few early impressions

Post  Radar Thu Nov 26 2009, 21:00

Do you remember that bit in the iconic film ‘The Blues Brothers’ when Elwood turns up in the new Blues mobile; an ex police cruiser, much to the disgust of his partner? He leapt to the beaten up cars defence stating coolly

"It's got a cop motor, 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks, it's a model made before catalytic convertors so it'll run good on regular gas."

Yamaha FZ1S. First 1K miles, a few early impressions Bluesbrothers

He then nailed the throttle, smoking the tyres and leapt across river. My recently acquired FZ1S somehow reminds me of that ex-cop cruiser: Unassuming looks but

“it’s got R1 shocks, R1 brakes and a R1 motor” to paraphrase old Elwood

So what we have here is the proverbial ‘wolf in sheep’s’ clothing’, the ultimate sober suited assassin who looks like the nice bloke next door, but the attaché case he carries doesn’t contain his butties, but rather a dis-assembled snipers rifle and sights…in the 800 miles I have covered on the Fazer so far this is the image that is coming through strongly. With barely 1,000 miles on the bike in total I am yet to really to open the throttle right up, but I am looking forward to letting loose all 132bhp available. Some 40-50bhp shy of the frontline sports bikes but still plenty for me. Potent and arrogant are the best two words to describe the performance so far. The upright and relatively high riding position gives a feel somewhere between a Supermoto and a Range Rover Sport! I doubt however that the top-end will have the ultimate rush of a R1 or GSXR1000 etc. but wonder if the Fazer engine and gearing is generally more realistic and possibly even quicker in the give and take riding at sane (ish) speeds on bumpy, pot holed British roads.

Yamaha FZ1S. First 1K miles, a few early impressions P8224802

Mention of the gearing brings me to the Fazers’ Achilles heal…the clunky gearbox. Sadly this is a bit of Yamaha characteristic and is particularly noticeable as 1st gear is engaged and when you shift from 1st to 2nd. Suzuki for example always seem to manage to design and build smooth changing boxes even on their most powerful bikes, so why Yamaha fail so consistently on this point eludes me. If it is follows my experience with other Yamahas I have owned it will ease as the miles rise.

Yamaha FZ1S. First 1K miles, a few early impressions DSC00519a

A stiff, R1 based frame and brakes back up that potent engine 100%, and the Fazer is great fun to ride; really chuckable and the confidence inspiring. I felt really home straight away and can’t wait for next summer so I can explore the talents of this fantastic bike more in full…watch this space…
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Yamaha FZ1S. First 1K miles, a few early impressions Empty Re: Yamaha FZ1S. First 1K miles, a few early impressions

Post  yamahamad Thu Nov 26 2009, 21:22

Looks really nice. Ride safe & enjoy.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Yamaha FZ1S. First 1K miles, a few early impressions Empty Re: Yamaha FZ1S. First 1K miles, a few early impressions

Post  Radar Thu Nov 26 2009, 21:38

Cheers

I still have my trusty T Cat too
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Thu Nov 26 2009, 21:40

Good decision i will get another bike eventually but keep the cat too.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Thu Nov 26 2009, 22:15

Ooooh oooh! It's a Victor!!

Nice bike btw. Laughing
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Toni Thu Nov 26 2009, 22:47

Congratulations to your bike and always a safe ride Exclamation Very Happy

Radar wrote:I still have my trusty T Cat too

great
Toni
Toni
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.thundercat-club.de