Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worrying intermittent noise

5 posters

Go down

Worrying intermittent noise Empty Worrying intermittent noise

Post  Scottishfreestyle Tue Sep 22 2009, 22:08

Several weeks ago after nice long run, experienced a scraping noise from what appears to be lower engine ponder this could be felt through both pegs, sound quickly went, this was travelling at a slow pace. Following week, neutral light stops working and this noise intermittently comes back, again slow speeds, checked chain (which did need adjusting), after another wee jont, this noise again emits from lower engine area. Is not affected by pulling clutch in and have had bike sitting for a period just running and light reving with no hint of any noise, so appears to be while in motion. Now this week went to start her up and it wouldn't, just got dash lights wall thinking the stand cut off had jammed again (previous problem, have bypassed this relay now), pulled clutch lever in and bike starts !! Let clutch out and bike remains on...... Pal reckons something wrong with Clutch release bearings or pressure plate or perhaps chain is gubbed ??? (Did manage to miss 5th gear change before this noise started which was both embarrasing and excrutiating for a grinding second!) Embarassed

Anyone perhaps offer suggestion of what this noise could be??

:yzf:
Scottishfreestyle
Scottishfreestyle

Male Status :

Number of posts : 3
Hobbies : Kickboxing Instructor / Biking on our fantastic Highland roads
Humour : Believing my speedo read 160mph once!!
Registration date : 2009-09-22

http://www.scottishkickboxing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Worrying intermittent noise Empty Re: Worrying intermittent noise

Post  0ldcat Wed Sep 23 2009, 11:06

I had something simillar once but it didn't have the not starting symptom you have.

Turned out I had incorrectly adjusted the chain and not aligned the wheels properly wall . Cost me a new chain and sprocket set that did Mad . Learned me lesson there I did Neutral

Since you mentioned chain adjustment I thought maybe ??? Otherwise not being of the mechanicly minded club I have no other ideas Rolling Eyes
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  furball Wed Sep 23 2009, 13:40

I would pop the front sprocket cover off and see if the nut holding the sprocket on is still there .. if thats missing this could be you'r problem

Also what side of the engine is the noise comming from??

Davie
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Wed Sep 23 2009, 16:26

Funnily enough I was discussing this with Ellie earlier & mentioned that it could possibly be the front sprocket has come loose? Its a bit of a common problem apparently even though the locking washer should prevent it happening.
If it has come loose the chain may have fouled the clutch pushrod mechanism? Worth a look ponder ponder
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Worrying intermittent noise Empty Noise

Post  Scottishfreestyle Wed Sep 23 2009, 17:55

Checking with some pals tonight. Comes from left lower side (sprocket area!), you know thought might be that type of thing 1st time I heard it....will keep you updated. Cheers guys...... clink
Scottishfreestyle
Scottishfreestyle

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Worrying intermittent noise Empty Noise

Post  Scottishfreestyle Thu Sep 24 2009, 16:58

wall One pal reckons, rear sprocket gubbed, but chain okay. Didn't get to take sprocket cover off, adjusted chain again, short run and noise appeared again. This is not a constant sound, but while making, is horrible. Pal's confused as to why now having to depress clutch lever to start engine. Mystery. Also while down prodding around near front sprocket/chain, felt heat coming off Flywheel casing, it was boiling hot! Yet other side could be touched! Is this normal ??? Question ponder
Will try to get sprocket cover off and then also Left side casing....what a pisser........
Scottishfreestyle
Scottishfreestyle

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Fri Sep 25 2009, 19:38

Right it indicates its around the front sproket area,,and these have given trouble,the sprocket can come loose etc and sheer the threads off, it would explain the noise as its slightly out of line,or the chain has a tight spot or 2 in it (that was my problem) need to check the slack on the whole of the chain to be sure. , but my loose chain knocked my neutral light out as well
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down