Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Honda XL100

3 posters

Go down

Honda XL100 Empty Honda XL100

Post  Guest Thu Sep 10 2009, 20:03

I've just been and bought another bike. That's 3 I have now. Before anyone says anything, I know, I should get the Blade fixed first. That will be done in the next couple of weeks.

I was helping my Dad, last week, pick up a bike he bought in Dawlish, a Triumph T100S, 500cc, 1966, when I noticed this Honda XL100S in the garage. To cut a long story short, I ended up buying it for £100. It runs ok, just need to sort out the wiring, get a few little bits for it and get it registered with DVLA. It hasn't been run for about 5 years and was used a a field bike before that for several years. It still has all the lights and indicators etc so it is easy enough to get it ready for the road.

The plan is to use it for commuting to work and a bit of green laning. I can't post a picture of it because this site won't take pictures saved on Windows, so I've posted a link to a picture of a similar XL100S.

Honda XL100S

I'm now selling my Honda CB750 which I was restoring. It's on eBay at the moment with the bidding due to finish on Saturday night. There has been quite a bit of interest so I'm quite hopeful of a. getting my money back or even b. making a little bit on it.

That will pay for the Blade to be fixed and also for getting the XL100S running on the road.

Fun times eh?

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Honda XL100 Empty Re: Honda XL100

Post  tcatcarson Thu Sep 10 2009, 22:09

Looks like a LOT of fun Tony, well worth a £100 punt!

Lee
tcatcarson
tcatcarson
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 216
Hobbies : Teacher, cyclist, runner, photographer, father.
Humour : Just desserts, quick thinking
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://www.blipfoto.com/leecarson

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 11 2009, 08:06

LOL dunno why but i'm not sure i can picture you on that for some reason - bit different to a blade clappy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri Sep 11 2009, 09:11

topcatbones wrote:I'm now selling my Honda CB750 which I was restoring.

Coincidentally I have one of these in my garage right now. A friend is storing it there while he moves house - a US-market one, not sure of the year. I'm not a classic or "big old bike" afficianado, but I do like it. GLWTS!
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 11 2009, 19:37

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:LOL dunno why but i'm not sure i can picture you on that for some reason - bit different to a blade clappy

Umm, thanks Suzie, I think. Not quite sure how to take that comment. lol
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 20 2009, 10:46

Well, the CB750 is gone now, courtesy of eBay. Didn't do too bad on it. Got the funds now to do stuff to the XL100.

So much for my earlier comment about sorting the wiring and putting it on the road. I've stripped it down so that only the engine remains in the frame and I'm cleaning up/replacing loads of stuff. The rear wheel and spokes in particular had quite a bit of rust on them, which fortunately turned out to be surface rust. That's all been rubbed down and treated, off to spray the wheels shortly, along with a few other bits. I was toying with the idea of getting the frame powder coated cos it is a bit tatty but decided against it because I'm going to be using the bike during the winter and hopefully doing some green laning so it wouldn't be long before it's messed up again. I have had the clutch out because it was seized solid due to not being used for 5 years or so. That has now been free'd up, cleaned and put back together again. My uncle has done a little weld on the kick start to fix where it has worn away over the years..

A new rear tyre has been purchased, £30 for the tyre, inner tube and rim tape, not bad. Battery has been bought, got it really cheap, courtesy of the company I work for. Oil seals, sprockets and chain are on the way. I'm still trying to find a cheap coil.

The biggest problem I've had so far is sourcing a Right Hand Side Panel. Apparently, they are very rare. Honda have stopped making them and I can't find anyone in the aftermarket who make them. I've found one on eBay, in the States but it's £30 and not in particularly good condition. Paul - If the one you have in your garage is a 79 model can you accidently lose the panel and send it to me? Wink I would be ever so grateful.

Anyway, I should be starting to put her back together today. I'll take some more pictures and try and host them on whatever site I need to in order to put them on here.

It's good fun, I'm quite enjoying working on this bike. Probably cos everything is easy to get too.

You want to try it some time, I'm not the most mechanically minded of people but it can be done.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 21 2009, 22:55

Right. Lets try some pictures then.

Honda XL100 Th_HondaXL100S011-1

This one is the complete bike just after I picked it up. That's my Mum in the background. lol

Honda XL100 Th_HondaXL100S012

This is bike stripped down as far as I am going to take it. For now.

I've got loads more if you want to look here.

More to follow as I put her back together.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 17 2009, 22:28

Well, it's now just about completed. So, I've gone from this

Honda XL100 HondaXL100S011-1

to this

Honda XL100 HondaXL100S013

and now to this

Honda XL100 Autumn015

There are still a couple of little things to be looked at. I'm having difficulty in locating a Right Hand side cover, as can be seen by the make shift cover on this picture

Honda XL100 Autumn017

The cylinder head needs to be cleaned up a bit, but I'm working on that. I am also sorting out the Carbs as there seems to be some muck stuck in them. The bike doesn't run too badly though. I've been around the block a few times on it, but I really need to go on a longer run to really see what the engine is like.

I've got to wait to do that though. The bike isn't registered with DVLA, so I have to go through the process of getting an age related certificate from the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club, then get the bike MOT'd before I can go to DVLA and get the bike registered and issued with a number plate. Hopefully, it won't be too long.

Must admit to being quite pleased so far.

I'll keep you posted.

Tony

Last edited by topcatbones on Sat Oct 17 2009, 22:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorted out the pictures)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 31 2009, 22:11

All seems to be going well.

I've applied to the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club for the age related certificate. Just waiting to hear back from them.

The bike passed the MOT today, which I'm really chuffed about. Just got to wait for the age certificate and I can get the bike registered with DVLA and get a number plate.

I'll be glad to get it on the road because I need to take it on a run to see if the engine is ok. I discovered an oil leak around the final drive area which has now been cured with a new oil seal. The engine does appear to "rattle" a little though and it may need a re-bore, hence the need to take it on a run so I can check it out.

I've had to replace the kick start as well, I broke the last one starting the bike. Oops.

If the bike does need a re-bore I am very lucky because it will only cost me the price of a piston and the rings. Perks of working in the motor trade I suppose.

Still, shouldn't be long now till it's on the road.

Guess I'll have to look for something else to work on then.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 06 2009, 20:08

Well, that took a while. I now, finally, have the Age Related Certificate from the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club.

I'm just sorting out the insurance (best quote from Swinton - £71 TPFT with £30 cash back after 3 months, pretty good eh?) then it's off to DVLA on Friday to get it registered and a plate number. Should be out for it's first (legal) road trip next weekend.

Can't wait.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Mon Dec 07 2009, 11:31

Making good progress the bike looks real nice.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 14 2009, 10:47

After a slight hiccup with the Insurance (i.e. ended up paying more than quoted, not too much more though) I got to DVLA last Friday to register the bike and get a number plate for the bike.

I was expecting to pay £55 to register the bike and £15 to tax it for the year. However, when DVLA put the frame number into their system they discovered the original registration number. That was good news because it meant less money for me to fork out. In the end it cost £25 to get the bike re-registered and £15 for the tax.

So, got myself a number plate made up (thanks to work) and took the bike for it's first proper run in well over 5 years. Had my Dad following me on his Matchless just in case. Got 5 miles out of Exeter and stopped to check everything was ok. Sadly, discovered a rather major oil leak so turned around and headed home. By the time I got back it was really pumping it out. The good news is though, it would appear to be an oil seal which is in behind the Points and should be fairly easy to change. Got the seal on order, £3.

The bike appeared to run quite well. It's not the quickest, but what would you expect with a 1973 125cc engine. It didn't like hills too much and did slow down a bit (could be the weight I'm carrying at the moment) but I did see 50mph at one point. I think I will have the bike re-bored early in the New Year, it might give it a bit more go.

All in all though, I'm quite happy with the way things are going. As a commuting/having a bit of fun bike it should fit the bill.

I'm planning on taking it on the annual Classic Bike run on Boxing Day. This goes from the Quay area of Exeter, meeting up around 10am and leaving around 10.30am, heading to Exmouth, stopping on the Sea Front for a cuppa then everyone heads off their own way home. Just got to get the oil seal changed first.

More to follow.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 20 2009, 22:16

The oil seal has duly arrived and been fitted.

Took it for a run this morning (with a hangover after last nites works xmas party). Deep joy, the oil seal has cured the problem and it doesn't appear to be leaking at all.

So, it looks like I'm going to make the Classic Bike run to Exmouth on Boxing Day.

I'm still going to get the bike re-bored early next year but my work on the bike is just about done. Now to enjoy it.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 29 2009, 22:06

Well, the Boxing Day run has been and gone. The bike ran ok but there is a bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust so.......

I've taken the decision to take the engine out, strip it down and see what needs to be done.

More than likely it will be just a re-bore, obviously I'll be checking the big ends etc while it's out but hopefully it's just the re-bore.

Work starts on New Years Day, hangover permitting. With a bit of luck it won't take too long.

I'll try and take some really really interesting photo's of the engine stripped down. I bet you can't wait. lol

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 19 2010, 20:05

The story continues.

Stripped the engine down on New Years Day (hangover wasn't too bad). Turns out the engine does not need a re-bore. Yippee. Bad news though is that the camshaft needs replacing (Boo). I have since discovered that this was a common fault on Honda engines of old. I also need a new timing chain tensioner.

All bits have been ordered and should be here this week. Next weekend will be spent putting the bike back together (hopefully). It can't be quick enough for me though, my car is on it's last legs and will probably have to be scrapped soon so the bike will be my main form of transport.

I'll post up some picture of the stripped engine shortly.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Tue Jan 19 2010, 20:19

Nice work looking forward to the pics. I need to get a restoration project for next winter there is nothing left to do on the cat & i am bored. Wish i had a fun project to to ease my mororbike related needs wall
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 13 2010, 16:28

Bit of an update.

Unfortunately I seized the engine on the little XL100. My own stupid fault, in less than two weeks it used up all the oil and I hadn't checked it. There was not oil leak and it wasn't smoking excessively so I didn't check. Stupid mistake.

So, I learnt my lesson, especially after having to push it for a few miles to get it home.

Anyway, luckily, being in the motor trade I have managed to get the engine re-bored. I get the barrel back tomorrow so I should be back on the road within the week. Hopefully all will be ok. If you look at earlier threads I was going to get the bike re-bored anyway, so it's just brought it forward.

Oh yeah, as I've already said on previous thread, I broke my arm as well. That's getting a lot better know though. 3 weeks gone and I'm getting lot of the movement back. Still painful at times though.

More updates to follow.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down