Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Cat potential owner saying hello

5 posters

Go down

New Cat potential owner saying hello Empty New Cat potential owner saying hello

Post  Guest Tue Sep 08 2009, 19:53

Hi all,
Found the site after unfortunately sitting on a W reg Cat whilst looking for a new bike for my brother, wow, what a comfy sensible bike. I loved it. I currently have a 3 year old Honda CBF600N (my first bike) but wanted something else, i had not even thought of getting anything older (until the trip to the dealers of course). Would i notice a big difference in power etc if i did get say a 2003 mint CAT ? My brother by the way thought i was mad and he went looking at the latest play things over in the new section...... he does how ever never ride the bloody things (only in sunny weather of course), whereas i ride to work every day all year round Very Happy . Is he right, have i lost my mind looking at a bike that he says is '' past it's prime and for old blokes '' ! His words by the way not mine.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

New Cat potential owner saying hello Empty Re: New Cat potential owner saying hello

Post  MevsyD Tue Sep 08 2009, 20:20

Hey Hudson, welcome to the site.

True what you say about the 'cat, it is a good sensible bike but it does have a lot more to offer than that, and for a 600 of that age it really is plenty powerful too. Many people say it is the best 'first big bike' but in reality it is a quick capable sports tourer. It started life on the track, that tells you that the power is there, and if you go to a dealer and get a test ride I am sure that it will put a smile on when you give it a handful. Goes without saying look for the usual things you would look at for a bike that age but if you are looking at a mint 2003 you will be ok.

I rode mine pretty much everyday for work for 18 months with few problems and even when in inclement weather the fairing gives decent protection. Add that to when you go for a weekend scratch with your pals the engine will more than cope and keep pace with the other 600s. Plus big miles are easier too as are carrying someone on the back.

Might be right for you using it everyday but not right for your bro on a weekend pose, what you will find if you get one is that they get plenty attention as a lot of people have had one and most of those still have great affection for them.

Take one on a test ride, take it up into the 7500rpm range and have a play up to the redline in first and second and third, then tell us what you think....
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : Stone. Sell it..Love it...
Humour : Dry /sarcstic..
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

New Cat potential owner saying hello Empty Re: New Cat potential owner saying hello

Post  0ldcat Wed Sep 09 2009, 15:17

Hi Hudson welcome to yamaha-thundercats.

Everything Mevsy said plus you'll have noticed that even for a 13 year old design of machine she still looks the part and on ride-outs still turns heads.

Don't listen to the fashion restricted thinkers putting down something they know very little about.

There have been tests in various bike mags that all say the Cat is a well under rated bike and infact put up against the earlier R6's that were supposed to replace it . . . it came out on top on comfort, top speed & econemy.

You'll search a long time to find the same amount of bike for the money. It stands to reason if you can find a minter the better it'll be.

Cheers clink
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Wed Sep 09 2009, 17:53

Hi Hudson,

Welcome to the madhouse Laughing

Nothing wrong with the older models Wink - the thundercat is a fab bike.... hope you're tempted!

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Sep 09 2009, 17:59

Here Here Fi !!

Love my 'Cat, its an 'R' reg and he serves me well. Parts are still easy to find and relatively cheap too.

Hope you go for it!!

Ellie xxx girlpower
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 11 2009, 19:08

Thanks for all the replies, i will be out looking this weekend, my first bike was so easy to buy, but my 2nd ...... Shocked
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Fri Sep 11 2009, 19:21

Thundercat is a brilliant all round bike. 150mph, handles well in the real world and comfortable. I toured Europe on mine in 2007 in company of 2xR1, Fireblade, 2x Millie and ZX9R without problems.

Had mine 9 years and it has just developed it's first problem...the rear brake switch has packed in...big deal.

Great bike, great value, great fun!

By the way the red, white and black ones are the fastest, most comfy, handle best and do more to the gallon! Wink
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 11 2009, 20:34

Wild-Kat-Wolf wrote:
Nothing wrong with the older models Wink

Fi girl_witch

She should know rofl sorry Fi but you walked into that one (is now a good time to ask if i can still have a bed sunday week!)

Hi Hudson,

Welcome, All i can do is echo everything anyone else has said - in fact someone at work was asking me about them today as he's tempted in readiness for getting rid of his baby 125 lol - i've told him i'll take it in for him to sit on Wink try it ..... you'll like it!

Suzie haloangel
Anonymous

Back to top Go down