Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noob

+4
yamahamad
Rosco
SteveCat
8 posters

Go down

Noob Empty Noob

Post  1888 Wed Jun 12 2019, 20:41

Pick up a Cat on Sunday. Not got a clue of year nor mileage. Just know it needs a battery to run as it was on the road a few month back. Few things for MOT then its back on the road after a three year break. First large yamaha as well as my last was a DT125LC back in 83 Very Happy

Hi
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2019-06-12

Back to top Go down

Noob Empty Re: Noob

Post  SteveCat Wed Jun 12 2019, 21:28

Hi, welcome. Hope it's just a battery.
They are great bikes. Take it easy, even though the 'Cat is advancing in years it still kicks a punch.

I remember the DT, great 2-stroke, by '83 I had migrated to 4-strokes and had a Yammy 650 turbo.

Hope the weather plays ball for you and you can get a few miles in.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Jun 12 2019, 22:39

Hi and welcome.

Good luck with the new bike.
Plenty of knowledge on here (in the advanced search) and failing that there are a few thundercat boffins kicking about too if you have any questions.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  1888 Thu Jun 13 2019, 00:11

Cheers guys. This is an early model in a horrid and now flat shade of red. Cant decide if i just Mat Black it. Streetfighter or try and find new plastics at a later date. It will just be going in the shed for a few weeks as in the middle of trying to make an old LDV Convoy into a camper. I do know it wants fork seals, front tyre, C&C and brake pads. All i can do myself what saves a bob.
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  1888 Sun Jun 16 2019, 15:38

So. I have a cat Very Happy

Noob 3

Now it look not toooooo bad from there but........

I knew it needed a chain and sprocket kit but never expected anyone to leave it to get this bad

Noob 03

Look at the adjuster

Noob 04

Front tyre may explain why he wend down on a roundabout Shocked

Noob 05

Back

Noob 06

Disks are not to bad, ever slight lip so they are on next years shopping list

Noob 08

Back is surface rust but... Is that caliper hanger buggered? Just noticed the lack of metal holding it to the spindle

Noob 10

Rear shock. Ill see how that is after a clean

Noob 11

Bodywork

Noob 12
Noob 13
Noob 15
Noob 16
Noob 17
Noob 18

Now is this cam chain and is there any known issues with adjusters being crap? Bike is around 36k so thinking just a stuck adjuster

Best start earning some money to throw at this. Lucky it was cheap
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Mon Jun 17 2019, 10:01

That sounds a bit rough, poor thing has been very neglected by the look of it. Hope you can get it running & looking good mate.

Paul
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  past-it Mon Jun 17 2019, 13:33

Doesn't sound like cam chain, more like possible down pipes blowing and a misfire. Check your carbs, might just be dirt in them. As for the caliper carrier, not that good a photo but it looks ok. Just check it when the rear wheels out, if you can get the spindle out of course,
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Jun 18 2019, 20:21

Poor bike!!
It doesn't sound like the cam tensioner to me. As far as I know they didn't suffer tensioner problems like the later bikes do ( my Tracer had a failing tensioner).
My second 'cat sounded a bit like that, maybe not as bad initially. In my case it was a loose spark plug, it did sound like an exhaust gasket.

However mine was never a happy bike and in-spite of my local spanner saying he'd cleaned and adjusted the carbs, even a second opinion said the same and the Yamaha dealer refusing to look at it, oddly when I chopped it in at the Yamaha dealer - they fixed it. It was the carbs, a previous owner had twisted every screw they could find on the carbs.

I take it that it's been standing for quite a while, so the carbs would need a good cleaning, the calipers will also need a service.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  1888 Wed Jun 19 2019, 08:11

Not done a thing with it yet but yes it was standing doing nothing outside but saying that it was just around 3-4 month. This is just pure neglect with the last owner. I do remember him getting the bike and it was never going to win any beauty prizes it was a complete bike with no great cosmetic issues apart from normal Wear and tear. It also never made that noise. When it was parked up at home also with previous owner it was on grass what will not help when damp.

So. Money in bank today and order up front tyre, C&C, fork seals and exhaust gaskets. If i find time ill get that done first and away for an MOT. Oh, just remembered. Resistors as back indicators are LED so fast flashing. Once that is done ill strip out the plastics and see what i can fix and replace. Radiator out and re painted. What is the best pain for that. BBQ or any better? Not fussed about a gloss finish. Tub of break and clutch cleaner also as that makes a great general cleaner for the engine parts.

Quite looking forward to getting stuck into this one now left thumb up
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  davenuk Wed Jun 19 2019, 10:33

jaysus 1888, mine is in way better mechanical condition than that, you could of had it for the same money (new suspension too)

bring it to pembrey!

ill take a look what bit's i've got laying around, i've got discs, nearly new fork springs, a rear caliper seal kit, shiz like that.

noggin is meant to be taking it but it hasnt gone yet.

davenuk
davenuk
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 30
Hobbies : ps3/4 - djn1976
Registration date : 2014-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post  1888 Wed Jun 19 2019, 16:58

davenuk wrote:jaysus 1888, mine is in way better mechanical condition than that, you could of had it for the same money (new suspension too)

bring it to pembrey!

ill take a look what bit's i've got laying around, i've got discs, nearly new fork springs, a rear caliper seal kit, shiz like that.

noggin is meant to be taking it but it hasnt gone yet.

Having a bike for spares would be great but no doubt you are the other end of the county. Has Noggin not go enough project on the go? Two bikes and a loft bed Very Happy Cant do Pembrey as i am in the Peak District for a meet if LDV owners having a piss up in a field. Sad i know but i am Admin of the group so need to attend Very Happy Plus im not a fan of trackdays and, Weeksey would probably do my nut in after half an hour. One thing that is working well on this bike is the brakes but i do have a little groove in my front disks. How is yours, any plastics?
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  past-it Wed Jun 19 2019, 23:49

As it's been dropped hard, it might be a idea to remove the handlebar grips to check if the bars are bent or cracked. Had a bit of a shock when I checked mine.
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Jun 23 2019, 01:26

Welcome to the forum. Thundercat is a great bike, but yours does need some love

I have a soft spot for the LDV Convoy, I used to work for the companies that supplied the back axle (15HA single rear wheel - rare & 16HA for the twin rear wheel), and the handbrake and clutch cables. GKN for the axle and Acco (later DURA) for the cables. I helped develop the clutch cable for my sins on the earlier 400 and it was carried over to the Convoy. I even went to the launch of the Convoy in mid 1990s and have the model van they gave out on the day. I wound doing three cable for it in the end I think, for different engines and gearbox combinations I think. Slow, tough old buses that liked to rust!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  1888 Sun Jun 23 2019, 09:10

So you are responsible Very Happy There is still a lot of them around. They seem to have a bit f a cult fallowing now and they are ideal for turning into campers. Summer months you can pay a couple of grand for a good late model. TBH they rust no more than the average Transit or Sprinter from the same era. I have the 2.4 Duratorq what i managed 90 out it one day, not nice due to the vintage steering system but aye. Great old vans. This is my old bus on day one or a trip to Italy. This is a stop over in France

Noob 20170922-163547
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Jun 23 2019, 19:33

Looks like an Post Office High Roof...Worcestershire reg...my neck of the woods
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  1888 Sun Jun 23 2019, 20:14

Radar wrote:Looks like an Post Office High Roof...Worcestershire reg...my neck of the woods

Nah. Post office had them all factory painted red did they not. This was White out the factory. I did buy it close to you though it was a kids outdoor adventure group bus from Derby.
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Jun 23 2019, 20:50

1888 wrote:
Radar wrote:Looks like an Post Office High Roof...Worcestershire reg...my neck of the woods

Nah. Post office had them all factory painted red did they not. This was White out the factory. I did buy it close to you though it was a kids outdoor adventure group bus from Derby.

They did indeed. Used to see loads at the factory when I visited. The PO boys used to give them a hell of a battering
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Thu Jul 04 2019, 00:00

Russian LDV Convoy AKA British Leyland Sherpa?

I've driven a few vans in my time and the Sherpa ranked number two on my least safe feeling vehicle (all vehicles) driven scale. Very Happy
Number 1 was an old Ford Transit armoured van, previously used in Northern Ireland, where almost all the armour was behind the cab (about 5 tonnes of it...thickest in Europe for it's size apparently), meaning the cab was effectively the crumple zone, and the Sherpa felt the same way, only without the armour. Very Happy

Don't crash. Very Happy

Bike is looking a bit neglected (left in the rain) unfortunately, rear sprocket is shocking (front probably as bad).
It's so hooked the chain is starting to ride over it and the chain is so stretched that the tensioners can't handle it even after being wound out to the max.
Easy way to check the handlebars is to go full lock both ways, there should be a gap between the bar ends and the tank (so you don't get a hand trapped if you drop it).
Discs will probably clean up with use though.

How cheap was it?
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Tue Jul 09 2019, 20:33

Wooster wrote:Russian LDV Convoy AKA British Leyland Sherpa?

I've driven a few vans in my time and the Sherpa ranked number two on my least safe feeling vehicle (all vehicles) driven scale. Very Happy
Number 1 was an old Ford Transit armoured van, previously used in Northern Ireland, where almost all the armour was behind the cab (about 5 tonnes of it...thickest in Europe for it's size apparently), meaning the cab was effectively the crumple zone, and the Sherpa felt the same way, only without the armour.  Very Happy

Don't crash.  Very Happy

We used to throw the old things about with aplomb, fun in a weird way!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down