Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biking in France - earplugs question?

3 posters

Go down

Biking in France - earplugs question? Empty Biking in France - earplugs question?

Post  MichaelS Fri Apr 26 2019, 18:44

I hope that I'm in the right category here.

I want to ask if anyone knows about the use of earplugs in France?
I've had a read up online and my understanding is that speaker type earplugs for music and satnavs are banned but I can't find anything about foam earplugs, which, in my opinion are essential to avoid tinnitus and even deafness.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I'm riding my Thundercat from Lancashire to Portugal next week to emmigrate. (Both me and the cat that is.)

Thanks in advance.
MichaelS
MichaelS
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 20
Hobbies : Riding and shooting (mainly arrows)
Registration date : 2018-08-01

Back to top Go down

Biking in France - earplugs question? Empty Re: Biking in France - earplugs question?

Post  SteveCat Mon Apr 29 2019, 09:47

Hi Michael,

I've not heard of that rule/law in France. Not to sound nasty, but it wouldn't surprise me, they seem to have a law about not being able to do anything 'standard' on a bike.

It is illegal to get speed camera notifications, I don't think anyone 'sells' that information anymore. I cannot see a difference between moulded earplugs with speakers and a Bluetooth device with in helmet spakers. I cannot see how they can ban foam earplugs. I am not aware the use of a navigator to give directions is not allowed. Possibly don't listen to music when in France, just in case!

To add to your list, they now insist on a Euro standard certfied gloves - which I doubt very few people have.

I think like the gloves, the earplugs are only something they'll add onto the list for something else they have stopped you for.

All the best for your emmigration trip and life there. Please post back when you have settled and found some good routes, there's a few of us whom are interested in visiting the country in the years to come.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Biking in France - earplugs question? Empty Re: Biking in France - earplugs question?

Post  MichaelS Mon Apr 29 2019, 10:01

Thanks for the reply Steve,

I'm going to wear the foam earplugs anyway, 1700 miles of motorway and dual carraigeway will give me tinnitus. Makes sense not to be listening to music though, seems a bit daft to me.

I know about the radar detector thing, but I'm old fashioned, have maps and I'm writing out the route now. I'l try to get some photos of the trip.

Would be interesting to have a Thundercat meet in the Algarve. Smile

Cheers

Michael

SteveCat wrote:Hi Michael,

I've not heard of that rule/law in France. Not to sound nasty, but it wouldn't surprise me, they seem to have a law about not being able to do anything 'standard' on a bike.

It is illegal to get speed camera notifications, I don't think anyone 'sells' that information anymore. I cannot see a difference between moulded earplugs with speakers and a Bluetooth device with in helmet spakers. I cannot see how they can ban foam earplugs.  I am not aware the use of a navigator to give directions is not allowed. Possibly don't listen to music when in France, just in case!

To add to your list, they now insist on a Euro standard certfied gloves - which I doubt very few people have.

I think like the gloves, the earplugs are only something they'll add onto the list for something else they have stopped you for.

All the best for your emmigration trip and life there. Please post back when you have settled and found some good routes, there's a few of us whom are interested in visiting the country in the years to come.
MichaelS
MichaelS
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Mon Apr 29 2019, 13:30

My understanding is that the law bans the use of anything that emits a sound directly into the ear, so earphones, headset etc (although supposedly waiving this for integrated helmet systems). I'm no French lawyer but I assume that inert foam earplugs are OK. There's no way I would ride without them.

There is also the whole reflective-stickers-on-helmets things, with some seemingly official sources saying that foreigners have to comply and others stating that compliance is only required for newly-purchased helmets bought in France. I have yet to see a final and definitive position on this.

Don't forget your hi-vis vest too.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Mon Apr 29 2019, 13:41

I've got everything possible just in case. And I'm going to put some reflective tape on my helmet as it seems a good idea anyway, particularly as mine's black.
Definitely agree on the earplugs, on the occasions I forget to put them in it gets a bit crackly after a while.
MichaelS
MichaelS
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down