Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travel Breakdown

+4
Eddie990
Rosco
SteveCat
Dogsbody
8 posters

Go down

Travel Breakdown Empty Travel Breakdown

Post  Dogsbody Mon Jul 18 2016, 16:59

Any recommendations for European motorcycle breakdown cover. Having a bit of trouble with quotes, and the Thundercat being over 15 years old.
Dogsbody
Dogsbody
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 111
Hobbies : Guitar/Bikes
Humour : Swiss Toni
Registration date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

Travel Breakdown Empty Re: Travel Breakdown

Post  SteveCat Mon Jul 18 2016, 19:10

You tried your insurance company to add it to your policy? I'm sure you have, some will cover part of the umbrella cover others won't. I didn't have an issue with Carole Nash with the Thundercat, but then I'm not sure I tried after the 15 year 'cut-off'.

0ldcat can offer more info, the German equivalent of the AA/RAC have been known to cover UK bikes. Maybe Euro insurers could be an option.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Jul 18 2016, 22:20

Carole Nash were happy to keep covering mine at it "was" 18 years old.
When I added another 17 year old bike and it was fine too.

I've been with them for quite a few years though.
Not sure if that had any bearing on it.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Tue Jul 19 2016, 08:07

Carole Nash. We've had a couple occasions where we've needed recovery of both bike and rider back to the UK. Each time has been pretty much hassle free with these guys, worth the little extra that the insurance costs.
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Jul 19 2016, 10:49

SteveCat wrote: . . . 0ldcat can offer more info, the German equivalent of the AA/RAC have been known to cover UK bikes. Maybe Euro insurers could be an option.
I'm affraid I can throw no more light on this topic than has already been proffered.
ADAC (German equivalent of RAC/AA/Green Flag et al), no longer do policies for ex-pats or non Germany residents. ie A German residential address is required for membership (and bank account).

I would however shamelessly endorse all recommendations to Carole Nash made by others above. Yes they are somewhat more pricey than others, but imho they are ,if not the best, then certainly right up there mixing it with the crème de la crème. You gets what you pays for.
That said, you must do your research and make the best judgement call with all the information you have to hand wink thumb up
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Tue Jul 19 2016, 11:25

Carole Nash story [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bike crash in Picos de Europa, Northern Spain. Bad enough that it could be ridden back to the campsite but no further. Rider battered and bruised with suspected broken ribs.

Call Carole Nash. Recovery vehicle sent to collect bike, taxi to airport arrived in morning, flight and hire car all booked. Rider and bike returned to UK without quibble.

Carole Nash story [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bike crash near Girona, Catalonia. Bike perfectly rideable but I suffered a badly broken collarbone and was taken to nearest hospital.

Call Carole Nash, give consent to them dealing with other riders while I head off in the ambulance. Recovery vehicle sent, bike collected and returned to UK. Taxi arrived in the morning to Barcelona, flight to Newcastle, taxi awaiting arrival to Middlesbrough hospital, taxi back home. Only slight pain in the backside was getting a 'fit to fly' certificate from a UK doctor but this was sorted with me liaising between Carole Nash and my travel insurance company.

I've heard several similar tales from other riders. I know who I'll be insuring with in the future, better to spend the extra and go with someone proven I reckon.
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  furball Tue Jul 19 2016, 19:50

I cant see past Carol Nash, they sorted me and my bike out after the accident in the picos, everything was swift and hastle free..

Davie...
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please

Back to top Go down

Post  Dogsbody Thu Jul 21 2016, 15:48

Thanks Chaps for all advice. Steve was right, my best quote was off my own insurance and have gone with that. However, next year I think I will go with Carole Nash. I have heard they do a rider policy, as well as the good reports here.
I can't make the Oxen run due to it being so close to my Euro trip. Am now looking at The Taste of Lincs run. Hope I can make that one. Cheers
Dogsbody
Dogsbody
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 111
Hobbies : Guitar/Bikes
Humour : Swiss Toni
Registration date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Thu Jul 21 2016, 16:03

Just be very careful, a few years ago I insured with Swinton, when I received the policy and read the small print, they only covered the bike for repatriation in the event of an accident but not the rider. I challenged them on this point and got my money back.
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Thu Jul 21 2016, 19:29

I've blacklisted Swinton.
I have never used an insurance company who have incessantly spammed me so much on all media available to them.

I still get mail from them after ten years, and the only reason the cold calling (landline and mobile) and emails have stopped, is because I've put blocks and filters in place to stop them.
They could offer me a years insurance for £1 and I still wouldn't use them.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jul 21 2016, 21:55

Thanks for the reminder Terry, I've been through my fine print and got lost, couldn't find what would happen. I then stumbled on something not good, my CN policy expires Sunday Night and then Bennetts take over, no breakdown cover within the first 24 hours of cover, nice one, hope nothing happens on my trip back from BigMac.
I didn't want to change insurers but after an initial 'decent' deal from Carole Nash the renewal was £900, got them down to £750, this time they won't budge below £850  Shocked
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Thu Jul 21 2016, 22:23

Bloody Hell Steve, that's a bit steep, I suppose its loaded cos ya live in the smoke.
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Thu Jul 21 2016, 22:33

Holy shit! Shocked

I find £150 a bit steep for fully comp.
Wooster