Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small but effective!!

+6
SteveCat
dudeofrude
bat-kam
terry lees
Rosco
ryan.moyles
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Small but effective!! Empty Small but effective!!

Post  ryan.moyles Thu May 14 2015, 11:18

As my relationship with the Thundercat is still a relatively new thing I've been looking for ways to improve the way it looks. These can be obvious changes like a new paint job or different coloured visor/screen, etc. What I am interested in is those little changes that are nice and subtle and people don't really notice straight away. For me things like my new mirrors that vastly improve my vision, the new stickers which are all black and the yellow rim tape (which I thought I'd hate) really enhance my enjoyment of the already beautiful Cat.

What I really want to know though is what are your favourite subtle modifications that just make you grin every time you look at your Thundercat.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ryan.moyles
ryan.moyles
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2015-04-05

Back to top Go down

Small but effective!! Empty Re: Small but effective!!

Post  Rosco Thu May 14 2015, 14:03

How about sticking mesh behind there's small gaps in the rear and above the HA in Yamaha on your lower fairing.
You could even paint the mesh before applying.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Thu May 14 2015, 14:17

Just send him a couple of pics of your shining example Rosco. It might give him a few ideas, uhgm
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  bat-kam Thu May 14 2015, 15:32

I have had my Cat for just over a month now. It is the same colour as yours. Due to rust on the rear swing arm I had to clean it an paint. I painted it mat black and put big YAMAHA gloss stickers on both sides.

When I know how to upload photos I will do that.
I also put carbon loon vinyl on the bottom part of the main frame, just by the your legs.

Did you connect those LED indicators with restrictors to stop them flashing to quick or is there a indicator relay switch that can be installed?

Kam
bat-kam
bat-kam
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post  dudeofrude Thu May 14 2015, 16:27

I've done a fair few minor mods to mine. Mirrors, bar ends, braided hoses (back makes a huge difference compared to the hideous spring covered original), stickers on the rear hugger and chainguard, black screen, adjustable levers. But my favourite by far is the exhaust, not exactly a subtle change the but one that takes the cat from looking a bit frumpy and outdated to sporty and aggressive
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 426
Hobbies : Gym, Tattoos, Ps4
Humour : Sick, Sarcastic
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.abstract-tattoos.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu May 14 2015, 16:50

bat-kam wrote:

Hopefully [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] will help.

In your message box:

SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ryan.moyles Thu May 14 2015, 17:41

Rosco wrote:How about sticking mesh behind there's small gaps in the rear and above the HA in Yamaha on your lower fairing.
You could even paint the mesh before applying.

I like the mesh idea. I've already meshing in the V/Y piece behind the front wheel and it looks tidy. I was thinking of doing the big hole where the crash bungs go but I'm not sure if it'd be too much.
ryan.moyles
ryan.moyles
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ryan.moyles Thu May 14 2015, 18:18

bat-kam wrote:I have had my Cat for just over a month now. It is the same colour as yours. Due to rust on the rear swing arm I had to clean it an paint. I painted it mat black and put big YAMAHA gloss stickers on both sides.

I also put carbon loon vinyl on the bottom part of the main frame, just by the your legs.

Did you connect those LED indicators with restrictors to stop them flashing to quick or is there a indicator relay switch that can be installed?

Kam

Have a look here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I didn't use any resistors but you'll need a relay. And as you can see I had to fit the diode to the clocks so that they'd work with the dash indicator light.
ryan.moyles
ryan.moyles
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bat-kam Thu May 14 2015, 18:36

bat-kam
bat-kam
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  dudeofrude Thu May 14 2015, 19:15

Bat-kam you have the exact same tear in your seat that I do Haha
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 426
Hobbies : Gym, Tattoos, Ps4
Humour : Sick, Sarcastic
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.abstract-tattoos.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ryan.moyles Thu May 14 2015, 19:42

dudeofrude wrote:Bat-kam you have the exact same tear in your seat that I do Haha

Me too, great design clearly!

Also I like that black swing arm. I'm thinking of painting the wheels yellow so that'd be a nice contrast.
ryan.moyles
ryan.moyles
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  The White One Thu May 14 2015, 19:57

Ive done the mesh thing all over, two on each tail side piece, three on each side panel and the V piece behind the front wheel. I think it looks a lot better than without. Ive sprayed mine gold and i think it looks great. My rebuild is halfway there although had to put it all back together halfway through as needed the bike and powdercoating was going to take three weeks. All sprayed and finished except side panels. Post up when its all done. Mods? Where to begin? Painted screen, yellow dash lights, yellow running light, HID kit, new black bolt set, gold engine case bolts, engine cases powdercoated black and yamaha gold, gold grips/bar ends, mesh in all gaps, gold braded brake lines, exhaust, fork lowers powder coated black, fork stanctions coloured gold, red rim tape, black and gold wheels, frame and swingarm powdercoated black, yoke powdercoated black, spare yoke nut cut down and coloured gold, R6 shock conversion, led intergrated mirrors (got rid of front panel ones) and led rear indicators. Tink thats it but have probably forgotton something.
The White One
The White One
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 467
Hobbies : Riding, Fixing, Riding Fixing
Humour : Dry, witty, Known as the child.
Registration date : 2014-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ryan.moyles Thu May 14 2015, 20:22

The White One wrote:Ive done the mesh thing all over, two on each tail side piece, three on each side panel and the V piece behind the front wheel. I think it looks a lot better than without. Ive sprayed mine gold and i think it looks great. My rebuild is halfway there although had to put it all back together halfway through as needed the bike and powdercoating was going to take three weeks. All sprayed and finished except side panels. Post up when its all done. Mods? Where to begin? Painted screen, yellow dash lights, yellow running light, HID kit, new black bolt set, gold engine case bolts, engine cases powdercoated black and yamaha gold, gold grips/bar ends, mesh in all gaps, gold braded brake lines, exhaust, fork lowers powder coated black, fork stanctions coloured gold, red rim tape, black and gold wheels, frame and swingarm powdercoated black, yoke powdercoated black, spare yoke nut cut down and coloured gold, R6 shock conversion, led intergrated mirrors (got rid of front panel ones) and led rear indicators. Tink thats it but have probably forgotton something.

I'd love a picture of the upper fairing hole that you've meshed and where did you get the mesh from? I can only find mesh with really big gaps and I want quite small gaps. I want colour coded crash bungs and colour coded grips too but not sure where to get them from. Yellow dash lights! I need those, can only find red, green, blue or white :(. If only I had a load of spare cash but I'm in the middle of buying a house haha.

To be honest before I spend a handful of cash I need to give it a proper service. I bought it in October and it has no service history! It's been fine since then with daily driving (except a snapped clutch cable on the way to my first MOT! Doh).
ryan.moyles
ryan.moyles
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  The White One Thu May 14 2015, 20:49

The mesh is modelling mesh but can't remember if it's course or medium. Had to cut, shape and spray myself have quite a bit left over, can send you enough to do whole bike or just sides if you like how it looks?. The dash lights are led ones off eBay. Tap in yellow led dash lights should bring up a picture of a car showing them as side lights. Believe they were quite cheap. I'll take a pic of mine on and post it as well as the yellow running light.
The White One
The White One
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ryan.moyles Thu May 14 2015, 21:08

The White One wrote:The mesh is modelling mesh but can't remember if it's course or medium. Had to cut, shape and spray myself have quite a bit left over, can send you enough to do whole bike or just sides if you like how it looks?.  The dash lights are led ones off eBay. Tap in yellow led dash lights should bring up a picture of a car showing them as side lights. Believe they were quite cheap. I'll take a pic of mine on and post it as well as the yellow running light.

I can't wait for these pictures, bet it looks great. Well apparently I've not been searching very hard wall although it is helpful when someone else has already done the job. Thanks.

Like these?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ryan.moyles
ryan.moyles
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  The White One Thu May 14 2015, 21:43

I had those in red and didn't put out a very good light, maybe it was just the red as that is not a very bright colour but these ebayG_Link   are the ones I bought. They appear out of stock but if you save it in your watch list then click see similar should find some for you.
The White One
The White One
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  The White One Thu May 14 2015, 22:58

Grill in one of the holes on left hand tail section. Light not great so will take photo of side tomorrow but gives an idea of size of mesh holes. Ye4s I know you can see dirt but it was raining on way to work tonight lol.

Dash lights, think they look a little yellow/amber but they look good lol

Finally the running light, the little bulb in the headlight.
The White One
The White One
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ryan.moyles Fri May 15 2015, 08:34

Ooo that mesh looks way better than I thought it would. I'll definitely be doing that. I like the lights too, I think we'll struggle to find actual yellow, but that looks good anyway considering the standard lights are total gash.

Oh yeah also what did you use to hold the mesh on, I tried with a fibreglass kit but it was a disaster!
ryan.moyles
ryan.moyles
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri May 15 2015, 09:24

The White One wrote:Grill in one of the holes on left hand tail section. Light not great so will take photo of side tomorrow but gives an idea of size of mesh holes. Ye4s I know you can see dirt but it was raining on way to work tonight lol

All this talk of looking nicer and you still have the tax disc holder in place?! Shocked  Mine was in the bin on the day the law changed! green smile
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri May 15 2015, 11:44

I'm loving my new mirrors; they offer a slightly better rear view but make me more visible from the front.

I also wasn't sure about wheel tape, but think it suits the colours and age of my bike

Also loving my rear light

weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bat-kam Fri May 15 2015, 12:38

weasley - where did you get that rear light? I am sure that it's LED, right? Is it the one with indicators? I would prefer one without.

Kami
bat-kam
bat-kam
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri May 15 2015, 12:48

I did a write-up on it here but damned if I can find it now!  It is LED, only a tail/stop light - no indicators.

I bought it on eBay from a German company.  If I could find the write-up it'd be in there, but it was back in 2011 so I can't remember the details.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri May 15 2015, 12:55

Here you go... click me

This isn't the supplier I used, but I did order it via ebay.de and it arrived no problem.  I could only find the ones with indicators in the UK, but I saw these lights when I went to the German Thundercat meet a few years back and asked where they had got them from.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  The White One Fri May 15 2015, 15:00

Weasley you weasel lol how much for your plate? Those are my exact initials.

Last edited by The White One on Fri May 15 2015, 19:07; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cant spell enitials lol)
The White One
The White One
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  The White One Fri May 15 2015, 15:05

weasley wrote:
The White One wrote:Grill in one of the holes on left hand tail section. Light not great so will take photo of side tomorrow but gives an idea of size of mesh holes. Ye4s I know you can see dirt but it was raining on way to work tonight lol

All this talk of looking nicer and you still have the tax disc holder in place?! Shocked  Mine was in the bin on the day the law changed! green smile

That is so I don't forget when it runs out lol. Don't know what I'll do next year lol.

I used a two part putty called Milliput, it fun cause it's like playdoe and not as messy as all that resin.

Got pics of side grill but will have to wait to upload till I'm at work tonight

Last edited by The White One on Fri May 15 2015, 15:11; edited 1 time in total
The White One
The White One
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next