Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Testing the Dark Side of Japan - MT-09 Tracer Review

+15
Snowcat
weasley
yamahamad
sir digby
BlueZed
Tee-Forty
FatCat
furball
MrNutt
0ldcat
Radar
mrfrance
Rosco
robertcains
SteveCat
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Testing the Dark Side of Japan - MT-09 Tracer Review Empty Testing the Dark Side of Japan - MT-09 Tracer Review

Post  SteveCat Mon Feb 09 2015, 16:49

I took a MT-09 Tracer out for a test ride, I don’t do test rides – the last one was 33 years ago, I’ve also not ridden anything more modern than a Thundercat so what I was about to experience could be more radical than someone coming off a recent model.

I was allowed 45 minutes, so planned the route as best I could to take in various types of roads, in-spite of being on the outer reaches of London it is still very built up so having a good run in the countryside was out of the question. When I removed the cover off the Thundercat earlier in the day, I could hear the ice cracking and confirmation it was cold was displayed on the Scottoiler , a mere -1C; so the roads weren’t going to be their best.

Paperwork formalities done, the Red Tracer was wheeled outside and started – a rudimentary demo of the controls, here’s the starter, the hazards, the engine modes, oh and a button to change the dash display, enjoy, and off the salesman  went leaving me to the bike. The starter isn’t what we are used to, starting and stopping the engine is done on what we know as the kill switch, push the button where we’d expect the starter to be and the hazards come on!

First order of business was to adjust the mirrors, quite a bit of fiddling later and I gave up, I could kinda see behind me but wasn’t ideal – I wasn’t going to burn my time sitting on the forecourt. Decided to start off in B mode, the most docile of the 3 modes – a healthy clunk into first and ready to go. It felt really weird, being upright and higher but only took a  minute or two  to get used to though. First left turn, wow! The bike is well balanced and turns so easily you just don’t feel the weight of the bike at all. I am now aware of the narrower tank and my legs are not as far apart, being taller in the saddle the foot pegs are further away making it more comfortable. I find myself at a rather nasty and busy skew junction and discover my visibility  was far better. I’ve never been able to move my head to the extreme left or right, my lid hits against the shoulder protector – being upright I had full movement.
Some may find the bike too high for them, my tester was on the highest setting and I liked it - it will go lower and there is also a lower seat and a lowering kit, seems like plenty of room for adjustment to suit all heights.

Rode through a high street, low speed machine control is mind blowing. I was reticent at first to filter but there was nothing to worry about, it was so easy. Then wanted to see what the torque was like so changed up, oops can’t get passed 3rd, tried a few times and into 4th we go. Not sure but I think the bike has only done 40 miles, probably explained the problem. Pootling in 4th and I can hear a funny noise from the engine as if it was cutting out, but didn’t affect the ride – trust me to have found the fuelling problem; this happens when the system changes from closed to open (whatever that means). It is particularly bad on the MT-09’s but Yamaha have done some major changes on the Tracer and felt very few people would notice. It didn’t affect the riding of the bike, so it’s just one of those quirks.

Had a go at changing mode to Standard, this is the default each time the bike is started, rode a bit and thought, you know what I can’t tell the difference – a glance at the display confirms I hadn’t made the change slap'ed . Did get into Standard and you can feel the power build up much quicker, now I’m into the twisties speed limit is 40 but the road is quite technical, so 40’s fine. What I hadn’t banked on was I was getting around them at the speed limit! On one bend though I felt a slide, not bad and had corrected itself before I could sh*t myself. The tyres are new, they are Dunlop’s, think Smart Max – I’m a tyre snob and wouldn’t choose them given a chance, but they seemed OK. Might have been the tyre telling me to behave or could have been some black ice in which case no tyre would have done any better.
Speaking of behaving, this bike is very naughty and teases you ride – if you not careful it could help you to lose your license.
I’m now at my turn for home, the ride back is to be along dual carriageway. So for this I select A mode, what some may call hooligan mode. I am sat between two cars heading into a roundabout with two forks within 50 yards. Drivers notoriously get into the wrong lane, so getting away from them was fairly important. It then dawns on me I have all of this to contend with and the bike is set to ballistic. Grab too much and I had visions of the thing wheeling into the island, too little and the cars would have closed my gap. Perfect, smooth pull off, fast enough to clear the obstacles, get out the roundabout and give it welly – wanted to see if the front end was going to jump at me. If it did then it would have been a fail for me, I like to keep both wheels on the road.
Within what seemed like 2~3 seconds after me cranking the throttle, the engine noise starts again – oops you numpty you just redlined it Exclamation - Gawd was that quick What a Face !! It can do hooligan and it is equally happy doing docile.

The demo model was tricked out with a lot of accessories – the most expensive being an Akrapovic exhaust. I didn’t like it, it makes too much noise – there will be many who will love it, but not for me thanks. It also had the touring screen on it, didn’t care much for that either, it whistled at fairly low speed – might be OK for touring though. Speaking of touring, it is billed as a touring bike, but the legal beagles at Yamaha have made sure that the genuine luggage can be either the side panniers or a top box, but not both. The concern is too much weight on the back and the bike might wheelie too much – so two up touring would require a support vehicle to comply, big fail on that one. I see Givi are already getting their rails ready which will allow both hard side and top boxes.
Yamaha are offering the side brackets free, but have just found out it is conditional that you buy the cases - bit sneaky!

Mine will be ready 1 March great
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Testing the Dark Side of Japan - MT-09 Tracer Review Empty Re: Testing the Dark Side of Japan - MT-09 Tracer Review

Post  robertcains Mon Feb 09 2015, 18:00

Nice one Steve!
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Testing the Dark Side of Japan - MT-09 Tracer Review Empty Re: Testing the Dark Side of Japan - MT-09 Tracer Review

Post  Rosco Mon Feb 09 2015, 18:00

Can't wait to see the pics of the new one Steve Smile
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Mon Feb 09 2015, 18:01

A new bike ay Steve?! Will be strange not seeing you on a cat... Will stranger seeing you wheeling Smile
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Mon Feb 09 2015, 20:04

Good write up, interesting insight...I am trying one myself on Friday afternoon. I suspect it may be a little tall for me. My dealer has given me the bike for 2.5 hours and I can get to good roads almost straight away luckily.

Good luck with the new machine, look forward to seeing it come summer

Did you p/ex the cat?

Will you be SteveTrace or Mr.Tracey now?? (International Rescue!!!)

Last edited by Radar on Fri Feb 13 2015, 21:59; edited 1 time in total
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Mon Feb 09 2015, 20:49

Nice Steve, . . . The "Gentleman's" way to Fly Wink great
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Tue Feb 10 2015, 15:39

great review steve, I quite like the look of these, as i've got a yammy dealer down the road from me maybe I should get some test rides booked in myself
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  furball Tue Feb 10 2015, 16:34

Nice one Steve, i think these bikes are gonna be pretty popular, look forward to seeing it....

Davie...
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please

Back to top Go down

Post  FatCat Tue Feb 10 2015, 22:20

Congrats Steve - nice review too. Pretty much in line with some of the ones I've seen on the tube.

Have fun when she arrives Wink

Ian
FatCat
FatCat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2014-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee-Forty Wed Feb 11 2015, 01:42

I'll get my cheque book out when or if they ever put this concept version into production.

Testing the Dark Side of Japan - MT-09 Tracer Review Yamaha10
Tee-Forty
Tee-Forty
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2013-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Wed Feb 11 2015, 09:51

Great news Steve!

I've had my MT-09 for almost a year now and can't wait for that blimmin snow to melt here. Can't wait to get out on it again!

Anyway... planning any trips to the continent with the new machine? Wink
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 317
Hobbies : Space cadet
Humour : NEIN!
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Feb 11 2015, 17:38

Thanks everyone, will be at WeeMac for you all to have a peek etc, orderly queue please, I'll have Pam sell the tickets Laughing

No intentional wheelies Paul.

The bike is rather tall Tony, get them to put the seat on its' lowest setting, I hope the weather plays ball the forecast didn't look too clever this morning. Yes I have p/ex'd the 'cat, as much as I'm all for getting the most money for it I decided against selling it out of hand knowing the carbs have a problem - let the dealer sort it out and give a warranty.
Not thought of a site name change, some good suggestions there Wink

Snow Thomas, what snow? Only had 1 day of it in the tropics of South London - teach you for living so close to the Alps Wink (not jealous at all). Be good to compare the MT-09's

Yes, a trip to find the perfect paella and cheapest wine happening this year.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  sir digby Wed Feb 11 2015, 19:21

Nice machine that steve well done my mate went from sports to a tdm and he loves it .
Cheers Mark
sir digby
sir digby
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 361
Hobbies : roofer/titting about
Humour : if iam put on life support machine turn it off and on again see if that works
Registration date : 2011-04-19

http://yorkhomeimprovements.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Fri Feb 13 2015, 22:01

SteveCat wrote:Thanks everyone, will be at WeeMac for you all to have a peek etc, orderly queue please, I'll have Pam sell the tickets Laughing

No intentional wheelies Paul.

The bike is rather tall Tony, get them to put the seat on its' lowest setting, I hope the weather plays ball the forecast didn't look too clever this morning. Yes I have p/ex'd the 'cat, as much as I'm all for getting the most money for it I decided against selling it out of hand knowing the carbs have a problem - let the dealer sort it out and give a warranty.
Not thought of a site name change, some good suggestions there Wink

Snow Thomas, what snow? Only had 1 day of it in the tropics of South London - teach you for living so close to the Alps Wink (not jealous at all). Be good to compare the MT-09's

Yes, a trip to find the perfect paella and cheapest wine happening this year.

The weather didn't play ball, having ride in a weeks time...hopefully better then. Fair decision on the Thundercat
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Sun Feb 15 2015, 10:36

Called in to my local yamaha dealer yesterday & had a good look at the bike in question, very nice indeed Steve.
Also a certain gsxr in the forth coming moto go colours caught my attention & can't stop thinking about it!

Paul
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Feb 21 2015, 00:36

My review of my 65 mile jaunt today...most impressed...you are going to love it Steve.

I rode the original MT-09 just after it was launched in 2013 and while I really enjoyed the bike, the day I rode it was cursed with lousy weather. I wasn't sure that I had got the correct impression of the bike. So when I was given the opportunity to try out the the Tracer variant of the MT-09 I leapt at the chance.

Testing the Dark Side of Japan - MT-09 Tracer Review IMAG1543_zpsf2a5dbdf
The MT-09 Tracer, slightly silly name, but a cracking bike

The Tracer boasts a raised riding position, a half fairing and such adventure bike features such as hand guards and luggage rails when compared to the standard model. It has a purposeful no nonsense stance...a bike to cover ground, go places and do it with a minimum of fuss...not for posing. The frame and engine are pure MT-09 and none the worse for that...in fact once I clambered aboard, the bike is tall for a stumpy like me (it can be specified with a lower seat and suspension that drops the height by a worthwhile 43mm), it is that superb engine that dominates proceedings. I am lucky enough to live in an area rich in superb biking roads and I was soon exploiting that lovely 115bhp triple. The bike is quick, properly quick and when the engine map is in the most sporting of three modes available the throttle response is instant, the revs climb quickly and the bike leaps forward with considerable verve. The engine note is a little muted but still has that distinctive underlying burble so typical of a triple to egg you on a little!

Testing the Dark Side of Japan - MT-09 Tracer Review IMAG1542_zpsb2e712a6
Yamaha say it isn't an adventure bike, but I think the styling definitely gives that impression. The ride however does have a much sportier edge that the GS's of this world. Not sure about the blue forks...

I rode the Tracer around one of my favourite loops, past Bewdley on A456 on through Far Forest before heading towards the lovely village of Cleobury Mortimer, so typically English it should be the location for a Richard Curtis film with Hugh Grant as leading man! The roads vary between big open A roads to tighter twisty and bumpy sections, some strewn with potholes and gravel from the pounding winter has dished out. The MT took the lot in its' stride, The firm suspension inspiring confidence and the Tracer was surprisingly effortless to ride briskly on biting cold day. Brakes are sharp and effective and with a slightly longer travel and softer feel than on many Yamaha bikes I have ridden over the years.

I rode on to climb gradually to Clee Hill on the A4117 where the views are stunning over Shropshire. Dropping back down I cut across on the superb B4364, a roller coaster of road that slices through some fabulous countryside, back towards Bridgnorth. Fast, bumpy and in places very twisty it was the ideal road to explore the abilities of the MT. The superb engine, firm suspension and responsive brakes work together well, and the bike has a balanced, well harmonised feel...I vastly prefer it to the softer, somewhat vague BMW GS for example. I would say the tracer sits in the gap between the more manic KTM 990 and the pure adventure bikes such as the GS. It would be interesting ride a Triumph XC800, as I bet the two bikes would be very closely matched. I battled through a rather severe hailstorm for 10 miles of so and the fairing, screens and hand guards did a grand job of keeping the worst of it off me.

Testing the Dark Side of Japan - MT-09 Tracer Review IMAG1544_zps590f6613
Large clocks a big improvement over the standard MT-09, although I would prefer an analogue rev counter to be honest. The indicator switch as a bit of a fiddle to use too

The last leg of the journey on the fast, sweeping and undulating A448 that hugs the valley of the River Severn towards Kidderminster was attacked with great aplomb, the bike is really at home in this environment. I had switched the engine to it's B setting by then using the neat bar mounted switch. Throttle response is a little less crisp, but still excellent.This is the default setting when you fire the bike up. To be honest I would leave there 90% of the time. There is a third setting for more trying conditions but I didn't bother with that.

Back at base and only bit that detracts from the bike for me..the seat height. I just don't feel confident getting on or off and I suspect that I might struggle in difficult spots to mount and dismount with ease. That lowering kit would be a must for me.

In summary the Tracer is quick, inspires confidence on the road and is economical too...I averaged 62mpg on my 65 mile ride, and at £8400 bloody good value...a cracking bike. I suspect that Yamaha will have a another big sales success on its' hands!

Thanks to Steve at Kidderminster Motorcycle Mart for letting me out on their demonstrator. I will buy something soon...

Testing the Dark Side of Japan - MT-09 Tracer Review IMAG1545_zps3b41fa8b
http://www.motorcyclemart.co.uk/

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/index.aspx

Standard MT-09 Review

http://bikemeet.net/index.php?topic=7509.0
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sat Feb 21 2015, 09:25

This month's 'Bike' mag has just dropped through the letterbox.  They have a group test of the Tracer vs the Z1000SX and the R1200GS.  I haven't read it yet, but looking at the final score, it looks like they love it.

Last edited by weasley on Sat Feb 21 2015, 12:13; edited 1 time in total
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sat Feb 21 2015, 10:32

I think this is a great looking and effective touring focused bike, I'm looking at these, along with a variety of others for touring in the future, maybe something with more of an off-road bias with easier riding position, the Tiger and GS also tick a lot of boxes but I think I've already chosen my next stable mate and it's none of these!!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sat Feb 21 2015, 12:14

My sights are set on a KTM 990 SMT... maybe one day.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes

Back to top Go down

Post  alleycat Mon Feb 23 2015, 16:19

Christ Steve it's hard enough keeping up with you on vintage machinery let alone a brand new bike flaming head
alleycat
alleycat
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 300
Hobbies : Carpenter / mechanics, guitar, mma
Registration date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Feb 23 2015, 17:00

I'm going to try and stick with the running in guidelines Alex, so maybe you have a fighting chance in the first 1 600 miles Wink

I'm not that bad am I? old
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Feb 23 2015, 19:08

SteveCat wrote:I'm going to try and stick with the running in guidelines Alex, so maybe you have a fighting chance in the first 1 600 miles Wink

I'm not that bad am I? old
I think you can hold your own Steve
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Mon Feb 23 2015, 22:08

Indeed he can!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  alleycat Tue Feb 24 2015, 16:07

Well I can just about keep up if I try hard enough (when ur two's up with luggage) ... might have to leave the old man at home though Laughing
alleycat
alleycat
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 300
Hobbies : Carpenter / mechanics, guitar, mma
Registration date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Feb 26 2015, 14:40

Oooh  So tempting girl tongue 3 Yamaha finance offer on a Tracer PCP I guess.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next