Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Givi monorail and plate fitting HELP !!!!

+2
SteveCat
trafman
6 posters

Go down

Givi monorail and plate fitting HELP !!!! Empty Givi monorail and plate fitting HELP !!!!

Post  trafman Sat Jul 04 2009, 22:48

Hi Folks

Wondering if anyone has fitted a Givi monorail and monokey plate to their TCat. Just got hold of a set from Givi and the instructions are minimal to say the least. most is fairly obvious but there a few U bolt fitting which I dont have a clue where they are meant to fit. If anyone has done this job and can help re the fitting of the U bolts then i would appreciate the advice.
Cheers

trafman
trafman
trafman
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 27
Hobbies : magic, Metal detecting and Scuba diving
Humour : Its the best medicine
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Givi monorail and plate fitting HELP !!!! Empty Re: Givi monorail and plate fitting HELP !!!!

Post  SteveCat Mon Jul 06 2009, 19:44

That had me wondering a bit too.

U bolts go around the frame towards the back of the seat and hold the rear Givi bracket. Best described in a pic. Hope this is clearer than the Givi 'instructions'. I can email you the un-cropped version of this pic and another one I took, showing more of the Givi Rack and the bike.

Does your Monokey rack (plate) have 4 rubber 'feet' on it, or do you have to add these? I can't remember when I did mine. You need them to stop the top box from bouncing around.

-Steve

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Givi monorail and plate fitting HELP !!!! Empty Re: Givi monorail and plate fitting HELP !!!!

Post  Rosco Mon Jul 06 2009, 20:02

Seem to remember the knack in fitting was not do do anything up too tight to start with.

Make sure you do the bolts (under the black cover at the bottom of Steve's picture) tight enough once everything is in the right place as I managed to lose a couple of mine.

Steve's is right about the rubber feet.
I eventually found mine and fitted them to the plate after having my top box rattling around for two years!!!!

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Givi monorail and plate fitting HELP !!!! Empty Givi monorail and plate fitting HELP !!!!

Post  trafman Mon Jul 06 2009, 23:04

Stevecat and Rosco

many thanks guys a pic paints a thousand words and all is clear now. I would still appreciate the uncropped pics and any more showing how and where it all fits together so feel free to send me any to my e mail [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

many thanks guys

trafman alias Martin
trafman
trafman
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  trafman Wed Jul 15 2009, 22:58

Many thanks to Steve and Rosco

The fitting went a treat thanks to the pics and advice. Its so nice to set out for work without a rucksack strapped to my back. Dont get to use the Cat every day but there is a fair bit more I can now use the bike for even if its just nipping out for a small few items at the shops. the main thing is i am now set for my little tour of Belgium next month yipeeeeeee

cheers

trafman
trafman
trafman
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jul 16 2009, 12:04

trafman wrote: Its so nice to set out for work without a rucksack strapped to my back.

Not to mention the safety aspect of not having a bag on your back (Not that we want to think about mishaps).

I don't know how I managed before the Givi. I have put the 'roof' rack on top of the box which gives even more flexibility.
Also put in a tail light and an interior box light, both a complete waste of time - OK I suppose if they work, but mine hardly do.

Glad you managed the installation OK.

Enjoy your trip to Belgium.

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Thu Jul 16 2009, 13:15

SteveCat wrote:
Not to mention the safety aspect of not having a bag on your back (Not that we want to think about mishaps).

Indeed - I used to work with someone who is confined to a wheel chair, caused by a bike crash whilst wearing a rucksack. I never do it - I usually luggage-net it to the pillion seat.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Jul 16 2009, 22:31

Yep.....you'll enjoy the storage (and being able to leave your lid in there when you stop is nice too)

Enjoy your holiday!!!!

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 17 2009, 00:52

Does everyone seem to prefer the Givi-type setup on the back instead of a Bagster-type tank cover and bag? I realise Givi is popular with tourers and the scooter squad, but wasn't sure about sports bikes, etc.

I've got the cover that permanently protects the tank and their Alpha bag, which clips on and off easily, though I've been considering adding a Givi-type setup as well for touring.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  trafman Fri Jul 17 2009, 02:33

Jumile

Having fitted the Givi I am well impressed, its very secure and as stated its nice to be able to put you lid, gloves etc in there when you stop and saves you lugging them around. just ordered the back rest so going to be a lot more comfortable/secure for the odd pillion passenger. As the top box takes just one second to detach the bike returns to pre top box style in a blink and the actual rack is very tidy and does not detract from the look of the bike. Nice one Mr Givi.

trafman
trafman
trafman
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Jul 17 2009, 11:17

Hi Trafman

I see you've already ordered the backrest.........TBH I didn't know they even did them

My passengers have always enjoyed the back-rest of just the top box itself. (with the exception of our Danish friend Rik who could have been doing with it when he nearly fell of the back Shocked and I had his ankles at my oaksters shit happens)

Fingers crossed it suits you and your occasional pillion.....might be worth a read here though [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] before you open your new item.

Jumile ...... When I bought my rack and top-box the cheapest was [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ...... don't know if that is still the case now though.

You'll find a few pics of the Givi on Stevecat's bike and mine on my flickr page [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think mine is a E45 or is that my cream.....Steve's is a newer top-box but not sure the model number.
You can fit two lids (side on) in mine.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 17 2009, 12:30

Rosco wrote:When I bought my rack and top-box the cheapest was [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ...... don't know if that is still the case now though.
Thanks for that. Seems they have a dedicated site for it now: Givi Motorcycle Luggage.

Rosco wrote:You'll find a few pics of the Givi on Stevecat's bike and mine on my flickr page [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Over 1,200 photos there, so thank the FSM for your use of tags. Smile Found these: pic1, pic2, pic3, pic4, pic5.

Can definitely appreciate the benefit of being able to lock helmet, gloves, etc, in a hard case and leaving it with the bike. Seeing a Givi setup practically used on a Thundercat is making my wallet twitch. Wink
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Jul 17 2009, 13:05

Jumile wrote:Does everyone seem to prefer the Givi-type setup on the back instead of a Bagster-type tank cover and bag? I realise Givi is popular with tourers and the scooter squad, but wasn't sure about sports bikes, etc.

I have both. The Alpha bag is great - amazing what I can get into it, but don't get on with it as well as the Givi.
In part because I have a Zumo Sat Nav and the Alpha bag keeps blocking the view of the bottom part of the display. It's not the bags' fault, it keeps getting pushed by my less than perfect bod (read I'm a fat git!) naughty
I am not aware of the box on the back (except if I have loaded it and have stuff strapped to the top rack).

At my stage in life, I am more interested in practicalities than aesthetics. Mind you, I think the Givi looks quite good on a 'Cat, might look a bit odd on some out and out Sports bikes though.

There's a lot to be said for not having to cart you helmet or tank bag around with you.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 17 2009, 13:11

Sounds reasonable to me, SteveCat. I suffer from the same... dimensional issues, though I'm yet to fit a satnav to the bike (been looking at ways to mount my non-waterproof TomTom XL Europe to it).

Looks like it's possible to get the full rack and plate kit and an E45 case for ~£200, fitting it myself. Not bad.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Jul 17 2009, 14:33

Jumile wrote: .... though I'm yet to fit a satnav to the bike (been looking at ways to mount my non-waterproof TomTom XL Europe to it).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] A waterproof SatNav holder for bikes (Motorcycle and pedal) .

Jumile wrote:
Looks like it's possible to get the full rack and plate kit and an E45 case for ~£200, fitting it myself. Not bad.
That's not a bad price for the Givi. I held back due to the price, but bit the bullet after my tail-pack ended up wedged in my back wheel (luckily I was only doing 20 mph).EmbarassedEvil or Very Mad
As I said earlier in this thread, I look back and wonder how I managed without it.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Jul 17 2009, 14:39

Here's a good 'un of the Givi load capacity from Rossco's album too Very Happy

Loaded Givi

No room for a helmet there then What a Face
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 17 2009, 14:45

SteveCat wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] A waterproof SatNav holder for bikes (Motorcycle and pedal) .
Nice one! Thanks for that - I'll look into it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Jul 17 2009, 16:41

0ldcat wrote:No room for a helmet there then What a Face

From what I can remember it didn't take us too long to make room..........also it surely depends how big your helmet is :rite:
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Jul 17 2009, 17:21

trafman wrote: just ordered the back rest so going to be a lot more comfortable/secure
Interesting to hear how you find that. I thought about it, but didn't go for it because you cannot then store the box on its 'back'. At the time I lived in an extremely cramped room and the only place for the top box was outside, on its back, next to the bike. Even without it Pam (my Pillion), feels reassured the box is there - to the point when we do go out without the Givi, she feels a bit uncomfortable.

trafman wrote:.. the odd pillion passenger.
Not sure my pillion would like to be called that naughty Laughing
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat Jul 18 2009, 09:51

Steve,

If you (or anyone else for that matter) want a Givi back rest I have one that's practicly brand new. My pillion doesn't like the back rest being there.

Luckily I clocked the look on her face when I married the back rest up to the box, so first used velcro to stick it in place and try out. Fortunately this means I never did drill my box lid to fit it permenantly.

So I have a used only once (genuine) Givi back rest up for grabs.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Jul 20 2009, 10:38

Tel,

Thought it good idea and follow your point on checking with the 'pillion'. Just as well because I'd have had the same response. Unbeknown to me there isn't a lot of space between the Givi and the 'amour' in her jacket, so would land up having the opposite effect and being uncomfortable.

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Toxic Tom Sun Jul 26 2009, 23:16

I cant think of why anyone would want to spoil the lovely looks of the cat with a top box.

I use my bike for work & find a tankbag works just fine.

I had a top box on my bandit but thought that was ugly. Top box's belong on tourers & no matter what people say, th tcat is not a tourer.

Just my 2pence.
Toxic Tom
Toxic Tom
3Bronze
3Bronze

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-04-26

Back to top Go down