Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tyres!!!! Fitted some Maxxis Supermaxx Sports...pics!!

+6
0ldcat
MevsyD
stretchie_
druidsam
greencat
Radar
10 posters

Go down

New Tyres!!!! Fitted some Maxxis Supermaxx Sports...pics!! Empty New Tyres!!!! Fitted some Maxxis Supermaxx Sports...pics!!

Post  Radar Sun Jun 28 2009, 17:06

I have finally got around to replacing the tyres on my trusty T cat. The Bridgestones were completely shagged, and the original chain and sprockets were also past their best after only 11 years ~ disgraceful!!

I have decided to go for a pair a Maxxis Supermaxx sports: it will be interesting to see how they suit the Thundercat and my riding style.

Dynamec on the outskirts of Worcester offered a good price and a ride in ride-out service so Saturday morning I popped up and treated the Thundercat.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The cat looking a little naked without it's wheels!

My old front drive sprocket after 11 years and 26000km didn't look too bad

Unlike this shocking example the Dynamec team had removed from a Honda Hornet a few weeks before:

Hornet sprocket, so bad they kept it for posterity. How did that bike even move??

The Dynamec boys hard at work...

All done...

Quite sporty, be interesting to see how they cope the odd time I ride in the wet...

New DID Chain&Sprockets...

The lads at Dynamec were friendly and the service was execellent.
The tryres cost £172 including fitting and the C&S was £99 fitted

Now lets see if the tyres are any good!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

New Tyres!!!! Fitted some Maxxis Supermaxx Sports...pics!! Empty Re: New Tyres!!!! Fitted some Maxxis Supermaxx Sports...pics!!

Post  greencat Sun Jun 28 2009, 23:12

Excellent write up. great

I think you'll notice a difference. Let us know how you get on.
Remember to keep an eye on that chain over the next few weeks and adjust it as necessary.

Safe riding.

Chris
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

New Tyres!!!! Fitted some Maxxis Supermaxx Sports...pics!! Empty Re: New Tyres!!!! Fitted some Maxxis Supermaxx Sports...pics!!

Post  Radar Mon Jun 29 2009, 23:36

Well despite boiling hot temperatures I got to ride the T cat in the wet on the new tyres today. There was a huge thunderstorm...The tyres coped really well and the bike very secure and planted. Pleasantly surprised. Not pushing it at all yet, still less than 50 miles on them
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  druidsam Tue Jul 14 2009, 13:16

any update on the new tyres yet? i've just ordered a pair of these and would greatly appreciate and info you have on them

...........sam
druidsam
druidsam
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 54
Hobbies : hillwalking,fishing

http://www.bikerforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue Jul 14 2009, 16:37

That's is a NICE looking cat
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Thu Jul 16 2009, 21:12

Thought long and hard about tyres but looking at Radars 'cat I had no hard choice to make. It looks great so I copied!... Rode the 50 odd miles to start scrubbing and instantly I can tell I am going to get on with them, they feel focused and stable and can't see that changing when I start to put them under a bit of stress. Nice one Radar, to be honest I was looking at Metzeler Sportec M1 or Pirelli Diablos so you have saved me a few quid!

MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : Stone. Sell it..Love it...
Humour : Dry /sarcstic..
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Thu Jul 16 2009, 21:15

Oh, and got them from Woosters in Leeds. £169 the pair fitted in a ride in ride out service.. Very impressed..
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Jul 16 2009, 21:19

Nice looking growed up Cat MevsyD
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Thu Jul 16 2009, 21:28

Lol! I love the way that the 'cat handles and all the traits it has. I used a pals RSV Mille for a weekend and had many goes on a few other litre bikes but to be honest I had to shoot for a bigger version of the one I fell in love with. Down side was that I spent a few quid getting the cat tip top and tuned (dyno at 98bhp) and had no dramas, bought the 'ace and the ex up was seized, tyres were crap as it had stood so I had to do it all again. Now all done it dynos at 142bhp but with the tyres and the service I have more invested in it than it is probably worth so looks like as the old one I'll be keeping it for a while! Looking forward to flicking it around Lincs on the TOL though and the lad I sold my 'cat to will be persuaded to come too...
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Thu Jul 16 2009, 22:54

A combination of a very busy time at work, lousy weather and family committments mean I still only done about a 100 miles or so. But the early signs are promising!

The Ace looks very tasty btw. My brother-in-law used to have one and loved it so much he kept in his living room.

I will be interested to her how you get on with the Maxxis tyres too, keep us posted...

In the meantime a pic of bro in laws Ace in the house to keep you all entertained...

Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Jul 16 2009, 23:19

Ace! Laughing
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Thu Jul 16 2009, 23:59

Fantastic!! Now why can't I get away with that!! My Ace has to stay in the garage..... I'm going to have to be tougher and insist that it comes into the house at night eh?

Hey MevsyD, great to hear you're loving the Ace.... maybe I should bring mine to TOL instead of the 'Cat great

Radar, am loving the wheels on your brother's Ace.... hmmm I feel a wheel paint job coming on!

Fi
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Fri Jul 17 2009, 10:48

Not sure I could trick ride up the stairs so I'll have to stick with the garage... Brilliant though I don't think I'll be trying it somehow, great wheels though..

Fi, the Ace is exactly that, so glad I didn't go for the mille. Will be on it for the TOL but still thinking I won't be heading that pack after seeing the vids of Rosco and co on the track...!
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Jul 17 2009, 11:24

MevsyD wrote:Will be on it for the TOL but still thinking I won't be heading that pack after seeing the vids of Rosco and co on the track...!

I'm an angel on the road..........Chris wouldn't let anyone else lead anyway salute even if you're on a 🐱 .....He's a Nin Suspect ja don't you know.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Fri Jul 17 2009, 13:38

MevsyD wrote:Will be on it for the TOL but still thinking I won't be heading that pack .....
Wadday mean? 'THAT pack'!
I'll have you know some of my best friends will be on the rideout.

Makes it sound like we're a bunch of speed crazed lunatics that dress up in unspeakable outfits (fancy dress they claim Shocked), ride around far flung parts of the British Isles scaring the wildlife and natives alike, video ourselves (shocking!), pop wheelies and stuff bikes into hedges!

Ohhh! Embarassed ........................... I see what you mean! slap'ed

Right then. See you at the ToL Very Happy
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!

Back to top Go down

Post  druidsam Sat Jul 25 2009, 09:24

the fast one are still doing these tyres at £95 a pair, mine were delivered in three days though i havent fitted them yet.

.........................Sam
druidsam
druidsam
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 54
Hobbies : hillwalking,fishing

http://www.bikerforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sat Jul 25 2009, 16:25

Hi Sam

I might give these a go next year as they less than half the price of the Michellin Pilot Road 2's I have on.........Saying that I cannot fault them one bit. Very confident tyres.

Keep us up to date.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Wed Jul 29 2009, 16:33

Supermaxx gone on the 'cat too, and whilst inside getting the back wheel I cam out to find the worlds crappest bike thief!

Hope they stick to the road as well as they stick to the wall....

MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Thu Jul 30 2009, 13:52

I've just fitted a pair of the MAXXIS SuperMaxx MR6029 at £95 onto the better halfs 'cat & first impressions are really good tbh despite going easy through the scrubbing in stage, No doubt she will be along soon after a Welsh blast (hopefully) this weekend to let you know what she thinks naughty
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Aug 10 2009, 22:38

Well.....................Ive done over 500 miles around Shropshire and Wales this week and they're bloody great. They're black, round, got a very pretty pattern and have no chicken strips Shocked Ooooo yes, NO chicken strips, all my own work, nobody else can take credit for them, whatever they may post on here............

Sadly my rear shock is fooked and so is my battery I have discovered today.....But thanks to a very kind young man and a trip to DK motorcycles, I now have a new shock which will (hopefully) be fitted this week and a battery ordered tomorow.........(and then the small problem of getting my bike back from Shropshire!!!!).........

So may not make Sundays ride, but will be rareing to go by TOL...........

deal

Ellie xxx girlpower
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Aug 10 2009, 22:47

Radar, am loving the wheels on your brother's Ace.... hmmm I feel a wheel paint job coming on!

Me too Fi........'NIIIIICK..........(flutters eyelids in a hopeful sort of way........)'

Ellie xxx girlpower
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 12 2009, 07:30

ellie wrote:

Me too Fi........'NIIIIICK..........(flutters eyelids in a hopeful sort of way........)'

Ellie xxx girlpower

Fi - is that what you meant for Ezzy? I'm thinking i'm going to have to go see the man at Gosberton i like them!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Wed Aug 12 2009, 19:08

Yep - I have something similar on Schnarff as he has polished rims with gold inners (as opposed to the ones on Radar's brother's 'Ace).

Shiny, shiny!! Definately think they'd improve the standard polished ones on my 'Ace if I got them like the one in the pic!!

Go on... you know you want to!! Twisted Evil

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 12 2009, 21:13

roll on the o/t!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Sep 10 2011, 14:53

Well time for another tyre update.

After about 3,000 miles the rear Maxxis is shot, but the front still going strong.

I am now pondering what to fit next, but |I will probably leave until next year as I have laid out for new tyres on my FZ1 and am somewhat lacking in funds!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down