Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Go down

.... Empty ....

Post  Guest Fri Jul 11 2014, 20:49

Last edited by Sam00 on Wed Jul 16 2014, 21:41; edited 2 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

.... Empty Re: ....

Post  0ldcat Fri Jul 11 2014, 21:11

Sam00 wrote:Starts on the button. The only downside is that she jumps out of second gear when ridden really hard. All other gears are fine. It's a very common problem which it has had since I first got her and has never bothered me as unless you're trying to test out the 0-60 acceleration it won't make a difference. Any Thundercat around the 30,000 mile mark will get this trouble soon. If you're any good with gearboxes it would be a cheap fix.

Now that’s out of the way, onto to the good bits. The bike had £600 spent on servicing in March and April so there should be nothing to worry about. I have made sure the oil is changed every 3000 miles also.
The second gear fault with your machine sadly is the thing that will make buyers walk away from this bike.

It is neither a common fault (at any mileage), nor is it a cheap fix. It requires an engine out of frame and complete engine strip and rebuild.

This is a dedicated Yamaha Thundercat forum. Did you really think we would not know this ?
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  sir digby Fri Jul 11 2014, 21:20

And thanks for joining us just to sell your bike where have you been
sir digby
sir digby
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 361
Hobbies : roofer/titting about
Humour : if iam put on life support machine turn it off and on again see if that works
Registration date : 2011-04-19

http://yorkhomeimprovements.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 11 2014, 21:50

0ldcat wrote:The second gear fault with your machine sadly is the thing that will make buyers walk away from this bike.

It is neither a common fault (at any mileage), nor is it a cheap fix. It requires an engine out of frame and complete engine strip and rebuild.

This is a dedicated Yamaha Thundercat forum. Did you really think we would not know this ?

I was told that this problem was common after doing a google search and seeing masses of posts about it and the typically weak 2nd gear. Had a quote to get the works done and it came to roughly £400, a price most of the forums I checked came to, most of it being down to the sheer amount of labour required. Apologies for any offence caused!

I'm interested to know, what value would you put this bike as? I've seen similar bog standard thundercats with the 2nd gear issue for a bit under £1000. I was planning on getting the 2nd gear sorted over christmas but a need for a car has forced me to sell.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Jul 11 2014, 22:17

sam00 wrote:I'm interested to know, what value would you put this bike

You've kind of answered your own question.
If you're asking a potential buyer to take on a £400 repair bill, and very many hours of labour stripping repairing and re building, they're not going to pay a grand to boot on the price of the bike. Not forgetting that while the bike is in that state of strip, a few other "potential" fault & repairs may also need attention.

I applaud your honesty in declaring the gearbox fault, but fear you're going to have to come to terms with offers way south of a grand.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 11 2014, 22:30

0ldcat wrote:
sam00 wrote:I'm interested to know, what value would you put this bike

You've kind of answered your own question.
If you're asking a potential buyer to take on a £400 repair bill, and very many hours of labour stripping repairing and re building, they're not going to pay a grand to boot on the price of the bike. Not forgetting that while the bike is in that state of strip, a few other "potential" fault & repairs may also need attention.

I applaud your honesty in declaring the gearbox fault, but fear you're going to have to come to terms with offers way south of a grand.

Balls. Think it's time to stick her on ebay and hope for the best. I paid £1500 for the bike with the issue not being disclosed, and was hoping that the extras on the bike would help it retain a bit of its value still.

Thanks for the help mate, much apprecited
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Jul 11 2014, 22:42

Sorry buddy, but no amount of extras will alter what needs to be done to the bike.

Good luck on the Bay of Fleas selling her. Try not and do to another what has been done to you. A savvy Cat buyer will know the test for the gearbox fault anyway.

Cheers
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Roll The Bones Sat Jul 12 2014, 14:08

Good luck with the sale but isn't this on Gumtree?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/yamaha-thundercat-600-loads-of-extras/1072382393
Roll The Bones
Roll The Bones
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 12 2014, 15:20

Roll The Bones wrote:Good luck with the sale but isn't this on Gumtree?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/yamaha-thundercat-600-loads-of-extras/1072382393

It is at the moment, as well as another few listing sites. Want to give it one more week before it goes onto ebay due to the fees they charge. Private sale is much prefered over having stick her on ebay.

Gives me a bit longer to enjoy riding her too!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Roll The Bones Sat Jul 12 2014, 15:36

Say it's listed else where and have the right to remove it. The seller of mine removed after I bought it.
At least it can't be posted otherwise they would take their cut of that as well. Shame about 2nd gear but obviously those that have the problem comment (fingers crossed).
Roll The Bones
Roll The Bones
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Tue Jul 15 2014, 08:34

I also have the 2nd gear issue but at 70000 miles, all it shows is the gearbox has been abused and people have been ramming it into second,  I would like to now is the £400 quite a self fix or garage as the cheapest I can find is 850 in a garage, also thought I would let you know I paid 1000 for my cat with 30000 on the clock , fully working with all the extras you have listed except the bagster including recent full serviced
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum