Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your thoughts: First pair of biker boots

+2
bobh
kenndo1
6 posters

Go down

Your thoughts: First pair of biker boots Empty Your thoughts: First pair of biker boots

Post  kenndo1 Tue Jan 21 2014, 18:51

Hi all,

Hope you are all well, the cat is of course holding up brilliantly and I am still chuffed with my decision to go for the good old cat even 2-3 years down the line  green smile 

I am just looking to finally buy some proper boots and trousers for myself. Now I use the bike nearly everyday to ride up to uni and to commute around town. Occasionally, perhaps each 3-4 weeks I do a 250 mile round trip to London. I do not push the bike very hard.

Been looking at either the TCX X Cube or the Alpinestar Fastback boots. As I use the bike each day, mostly for commuting it would be ideal to have a pair of boots that I can also walk about with and be comfortable in for the day.

Incase you are interested here a videos for the respective boots:

TXC:

Alpinestar:

What are your thoughts on these sort of boots given how I use the bike and which boot of the two do you think is best? I could get the TCX for around 100 quid whereas the Alpinestars would be around 25-30 cheaper.

Do not know particularly much about boots so any feedback would be great  Very Happy 

Thanks, Ollie
kenndo1
kenndo1
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 60
Hobbies : student, bikes, travelling....
Registration date : 2011-09-05

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts: First pair of biker boots Empty Re: Your thoughts: First pair of biker boots

Post  bobh Tue Jan 21 2014, 23:43

Personally I wouldn't use a shorter boot for any kind of long trip.

I can see where you're coming from, in wanting something that you can wear all day. But when you're riding the bike, particularly a sports bike like the 'Cat where your legs are bent quite tightly, it's inevitable that your trouser legs will ride up. So with short boots there'll be an exposed area just above your ankle. The only way I could see of filling this gap would be to wear some sort of hiking gaiter.

In the winter I use cheap Frank Thomas Aqua boots that are really just glorified wellies with a bit of reinforcement. They have two big advantages - a) being rubber, they are 100% waterproof, without any need to keep treating them, and b) they are, or were, cheap, about £40 tops, though I'm not sure if you can still get them or an equivalent. Mine have done 9 years and many 10's of thousands of miles. I did buy a second pair in a sale, expecting these to pack up sooner, but they are still going strong. They are comfortable to walk in (I don't make a habit of it, but I've done anything up to 6 miles without blisters) and being waterproof I've been able to wade through quite deep floods in them They aren't particularly cold, surprisingly, given a couple of pairs of decent socks underneath - for example I did nearly 100 miles in them in the chilly Cotswolds this afternoon with only one brief stop.

But, although they will tuck inside jeans so you can walk round without looking like Compo, they are still not the smartest footwear on the planet, particularly when covered in road muck. So they maybe wouldn't be right for you. However, what I think I'm coming round to, is that I don't think it's really possible to find a perfect one-boot solution. Personally I'd use longer boots on the bike and just sling a pair of shoes in the tank bag/rucksack to change into when you want to look "normal" - which will have the advantage of not being coated in the aforementioned road muck.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts: First pair of biker boots Empty Re: Your thoughts: First pair of biker boots

Post  fr3tless Wed Jan 22 2014, 09:43

I find that boots are the biggest problem, sitting all day in lectures, your feet tend to get a bit warm... I've got a pair of oxford boots, cost around £70 from what i remember, they're not too bad for walking around in the only issue is the leather is starting to get a bit supple.

These are the ones i've got: http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/On-Road-Gear-Motorcycle-Boots/9464-oxford-cheyenne-short-waterproof-motorcycle-boots.html
Might not look special, but if your wearing textiles, the go over the top anyway Smile
fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  kenndo1 Wed Jan 22 2014, 13:49

Thanks for the informative answers. Yes I probably would be wearing the boots/shoes most of the day. As I am a student I am on a limited budget do not have the luxury of being able to buy two separate type of boots ie. one for the city and one of motorway journeys. The vast majority of the time I use the bike in the city so thought I may have to compromise slightly for the long-distance commuting and rather buy a boot that I would wear on a daily basis without having to mess around with separate pairs of shoes etc. What do you think? I know if I got a full racing style boot I would be unlikely to wear it very often around town and seeing as I use the bike most of the time in the city it would seem to defeat the object!?

I had a look at the Dainese Nighthawk which seem to be along the lines of your FT Aqua boots bob and the above mentioned Oxford ones. Perhaps this would be a better compromise between protection and usability for walking etc. The Dianese are a bit pricey tbh so would probably look at something cheaper, both your examples dont look bad. My worry with the shoe-boot crossover option is that they may lack in the protection department whereas the more protective boots may not be ideal to be in for the whole day at uni. I will be popping about from uni into town and dont know if I would faff around with changing shoes around the whole time....
kenndo1
kenndo1
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Wed Jan 22 2014, 14:38

What do Bike Cops wear?

You'd think that whatever they use would be ideal for your purposes, since it's unlikely their boots will be off their feet all day.

-edit- Apparently a lot wear something by this company: http://www.altberg.co.uk/category/motorcycle-boots/ (not cheap though, but they'll probably last)
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Jan 22 2014, 15:41

I have Altbergs, as you say not cheap. Good for being in all day and hiking, but I wouldn't want to be in them all day in lectures and too many non bike related activities.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Wed Jan 22 2014, 16:25

Does the Uni have lockers available?
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  kenndo1 Sun Feb 02 2014, 14:14

Thanks for all your comments.

I have decided to go for boots that come up over the shin so that I have max protection.

Managed to pick up a pair of Spada ST1 boots of ebay for a bargain price but unfortunately they were slightly too small.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of the brand Red Coyote.

Came across a pair of decent looking boots that are not too expensive either but I really cannot find much or any information at all about the brand online. Bit reluctant to purchase something just based on the look of the product.

Here is the particular boot I am talking about:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-BOOTS-SIZE-9-43-RED-COYOTE-RACING-/111169125095?nma=true&si=KwB7TOJrCSyIDMqY4Sal0lUJf0g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Anyone heard of these before and have any idea whether this is decent gear?

Thanks as always,

Ollie
kenndo1
kenndo1
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Thu Feb 06 2014, 13:10

Just a thought.  My son has a pair of Lidl's short motorcycle boots which he says are perfect for festivals etc., so they must be OK for all-day wear and walking in.  They look like this:

Your thoughts: First pair of biker boots LidlShortBoots_zpsb045adf6

I think they only cost about £25.

This is a spare pair, only worn briefly, which I think I picked up cheap for when his current pair wear out, which they've shown no signs of so far, after 3-4 years.  These are size 44/9.5, if they are any use to you.

Lidl usually do motorcycle kit every six months or so.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  OhJay Fri Feb 07 2014, 08:50

Aldi's next motorcycle kit run starts 9th March apparently

http://ridermagazine.co.uk/rev-up-for-a-wheely-great-biker-bargain-at-aldi/
OhJay
OhJay
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2013-06-20

Back to top Go down