Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Filtering

+6
greencat
SteveCat
bobh
mikeyzf600
Robcat
nicko600
10 posters

Go down

Filtering Empty Filtering

Post  nicko600 Mon Nov 11 2013, 19:54

Evening All. My commute home involves several long stretches of filtering through stop start traffic on a town dual carriage way. I take my time riding between the two lanes of traffic but now that it is dark and everyone has their lights on you blend in far more and are less likely to be seen by cars changing lanes.  

I have started using full beam but was looking at the cyclists and most of them have flashing lights which seem to stand out quite well.  One of these would be easy to mount on the bike and could be switched on when filtering.  Has anyone tried this before and does anyone know the law on this (I suspect it will be illegal but would be interested to find out).
nicko600
nicko600
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

Filtering Empty Re: Filtering

Post  Robcat Mon Nov 11 2013, 21:02

For the filtering speed of a motorbike compared to a push bike, I don't think cars would still notice you. I have a high-density discharge light on my weapon to make my headlight brighter, which helps with being seen better plus, it lights the road up more-so.

I filter too but have more trouble now that its dark early morning and early evening, to pick out all the wing-mirrors of the different van types. Makes for interesting brake tests!
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 518
Hobbies : Xbox and crashing planes
Humour : Very Wet!!!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Thu Nov 14 2013, 21:13

Some people use the "pass" switch on the left hand handle bar which will flash the headlight. This will give you a similar effect to the cyclists and will probably be more noticeable than just having your full beam on.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Thu Nov 14 2013, 22:48

A big blue flashing light on a pole might help. And maybe a siren.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Nov 15 2013, 09:46

Pity it isn't legal.

I'm not so sure people would even see that, the number of times I've seen Police or ambulances trying to get through and 'cars' are oblivious they are behind them.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Fri Nov 15 2013, 10:51

Here in Belgium all the motorcyclists put their hazard warning lights on when filtering, but you have to have that facility on your bike scratch and I think the Highway Code says they shouldn't be used when moving (or did I just make that up? study ). You can still be a hazard when you're moving - right? (I'm not mentioning any names Shocked)

Of course you are quite at liberty to flash your headlights to indicate 'I'm here!', unfortunatley most people think, selfishly, that means 'Please pull out!' which leads to dangerous confusion. What to do? It's great that you can filter on a bike, but do take care it's ultimately in your best interests to only proceed if you think it's safe. great
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Nov 15 2013, 11:34

greencat wrote: (or did I just make that up? study ).
I've always known it to be whilst stationary or moving very slowly - however I'm sure that's a rule from another part of the world.

This last weekend's M25 ride brought up some questions - when can flashing ambers be used - the Question was put to a senior Met Police officer. He said when stationary or when riding no faster than 25 mph - the moving part may be discretionary so your mileage may vary as they say. However one of our leaders needed to stop and reconnect his comms cable, pulls over in a safe area on an off ramp and puts his hazards on - barely done that and the Police came and told him to turn them off and instructed to move - so guess it's a grey area.

Sorry taken off topic somewhat. If I had hazard lights, I may be inclined to use them when filtering in the low sun conditions.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Fri Nov 15 2013, 12:07

I think you just need to stay on your toes and use caution as usual. :/

If everyone started using full beams it's bound to start pissing car drivers off and a lot more of them would close the gaps rather than put up with getting blinded from their wing mirrors.
Poorly adjusted headlights are already bad enough. Smile

...I wonder if wiring up a flasher unit to the horn so that it 'beeps' constantly would be legal, given it's primary use is to warn of danger....which would be the case if you're filtering.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Fri Nov 15 2013, 13:00

Wooster wrote:...I wonder if wiring up a flasher unit to the horn so that it 'beeps' constantly would be legal, given it's primary use is to warn of danger....which would be the case if you're filtering.
haha just picturing this now! You could even attach a speaker on your bike so it plays a message... sorta like when big trucks are reversing Smile
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  nicko600 Fri Nov 15 2013, 20:11

Nice idea with the horn that would get people's attention.

The most annoying thing is that there is a lovely clear bus lane that runs along side most of the section of road in question which I am not allowed to use. The police have started enforcing the law recently with some camera device so I suspect a hefty fine would be coming your way if caught.
nicko600
nicko600
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Fri Nov 15 2013, 22:22

How about a set of ice-cream van chimes?  That might at least get some attention, and they are presumably legal!

Or (taking a tip from Apocalypse Now) "The Ride of the Valkyries" played at full volume.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Nov 15 2013, 22:30

No matter what you have or do you'll still get folks that don't see or hear you.....or choose not to...or even worse deliberately make it awkward for you.

I've seen plenty of vehicles not move out the way for blues and twos with lights and sirens blazing.

I like to get in a low (high rev gear) - giving you a bit of engine braking if you need it and adds to the noise.

Not very economical though.

Whatever you do you still need to be as ready as you can for anything to happen.

Ride safe.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Fri Nov 15 2013, 23:00

That's what I do, loads of noise at low speed with the headlight on.
Bit messy in winter though, with windows up & fogged, heater fans at full bung and the radio blaring...damn miserable tbh.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Mon Nov 18 2013, 21:50

I'm in the same boat but i take it slowly watch the cars front, both sides and behind, while keeping in that low gear. 20 mph max in stationary / slow traffic.

Bit better with the bus lanes here, there all open to buses, taxis, cyclists and ourselves. Thats until some twonk pulls into the lane to undercut the other car drivers!
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down