Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Glouc and Wiltshire Rideout **See new thread with date**

+2
bobh
stretchie_
6 posters

Go down

South Glouc and Wiltshire Rideout **See new thread with date** Empty South Glouc and Wiltshire Rideout **See new thread with date**

Post  stretchie_ Fri May 03 2013, 15:11

** EDIT ** Breaks added and route split in to parts ** EDIT **

Biggest problem is sorting a date, I tried a Welsh one last year but my timing, as always, was crap and too close to Bishops castle.

I don't want to do it the first week in Jun as it's too close to BC again or after BC as I have another big weekend later in Jun (and between me and you I'm going to ring some hotels to see if I can get in for Bishops Castle green smile ), cannot do weekend of 11/12 May or 18/19 May so I was thinking either Sat 25 May or some Saturday from 6th Jul onwards. What do you guys think?

The ride is as below, based on 10:00 start but could always push back to later but I think 10:00 is a decent start time to allow for stops.

Starting from Morrisons in Chippenham (3 miles south and only two turns from M4 junction 17) it's about 143 miles all round

Leg 1 - 33 miles about 1hr

- Start at Chippenham Morrisons
- Up Castle Coombe road and go north on A46
- Take a right before Lasborough to go down Bowldown Road and past the polo club? then north up the A433 and through Tetbury
- Carry on up A433 and pull in to AV8, the cafe ar Costwold Airport

Leg 2 - 31 miles about 1hr

- Leave the airport and head north on towards Cirencester, turn right to head south on A429 towards Malmesbury
- Before malmesbury, take left at roundabout to go east on B4040, past Minety and south onto B4696 until it ends
- Left onto B4042, skirt around the north of Wooton Basset on A3102
- Around the motorway roundabout (Jct 16) and head south on B4005 then quickly left onto B4005 (Wharf Road) into Wroughton and pull into the White hart pub

Leg 3 - 42 miles about 1hr 10mins

- Leave White hart pub and head south on A4361 down and through Avebury (past the Red Lion) and on towards the Beckhampton roundabout
- Right onto A4 towards Calne
- Into Calne and take left onto A3102 (Silver Street) all the way to the end and take left onto A342 (Devizes road) all the way into Devizes
- Left at the brewery to go around Devizes and out on the A342 and past the Fox and Hounds right through to Charlton / Rushall
- Left (Still on A342) through Upavon and still on A342 through Everleigh and south on A338 into Tidworth
- Into big Tesco at Tidworth for rest

Leg 4 - 35 miles about 1hr 10 mins

- Leave Tesco and go back the same way into Devizes as we came but we leave Devizes going west on A361, which turns into A365 to Melksham
- Carry on Around Melksham on the ringroad and north on A350 back to the Cepen Park pub on the other side of the road from the start point for a cheeky glass of coke and cuddle goodbye

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]/

Last edited by stretchie_ on Tue May 07 2013, 14:59; edited 2 times in total
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

South Glouc and Wiltshire Rideout **See new thread with date** Empty Re: South Glouc and Wiltshire Rideout **See new thread with date**

Post  bobh Fri May 03 2013, 20:34

Looks like a cracking route - I know some of those roads and the temptation will be strong! If only Salisbury Plain were 10 times the size.....

I'm OK for any of those dates at the moment - keep us posted.

Bob
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

South Glouc and Wiltshire Rideout **See new thread with date** Empty Re: South Glouc and Wiltshire Rideout **See new thread with date**

Post  stevemcc Fri May 03 2013, 20:53

These are alot of my local rideout roads, plus a few old commuting routes I used to take for various jobs.
I'm deffo up for it if I'm not working. Keep us informed of the date you decide.
stevemcc
stevemcc
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 192
Hobbies : Aviation Engineer
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri May 03 2013, 22:12

Cool, but was hoping that you, the public, would let me know what you'd prefer date wise so it's open to more people. I'm determined to get my fat ass out on my bike this year. Should be calling around hotels tomorrow to see if I can find a room for Bishops Castle
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri May 03 2013, 22:50

stretchie_ wrote: Cool, but was hoping that you, the public, would let me know what you'd prefer date wise so it's open to more people. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Is it your intention to turn this into a "Something for the Weekend" Stretchmeister ???
stretchie_ Also wrote: Should be calling around hotels tomorrow to see if I can find a room for Bishops Castle
You'll be lucky Shocked . . . If you draw a blank, accomm wise, it may be worth a quick PM to SteveCat to see if there's space in the eco cabin matey Wink Thumb
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Fri May 03 2013, 23:10

the claremont and old time might still have rooms going at BC
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri May 03 2013, 23:14

No plans to make this a weekend job, I do have that Wales rideout though, starts from Hay on Wye and is about 170 miles. That's worth camping for, especially if the weather is good.

Good thinking on the BC front. The missus would be coming and we are off on the annual SV weekend two weekends after and don't want to camp for both
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri May 03 2013, 23:29

stretchie_ wrote:No plans to make this a weekend job, I do have that Wales rideout though, starts from Hay on Wye and is about 170 miles. That's worth camping for, especially if the weather is good.
Don't wanna rain on ya parade or nowt; but BC already does Wales; we're (the royal one), kinda looking for a Southern England weekender . . . Central to Southwestern type thing-a-ma-bob; or even Issle 'o' Widget Smile

But fair play, . . . that run out, no matter what or when, looks damn fine green smile
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue May 07 2013, 11:01

Good point oldcat, but I'd be camping anyway, it's a fair old treck to the start point for me Smile

As far as BC is concerned not sure if going now, it's a mates 30th and his mum and dad have arranged something but they are not sure if it will be tBC weekend or the weekend after. ARSE
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue May 07 2013, 14:55

OK then got my crap in gear, I went to one of the stops (Cotswolds Airport) to check it out and it would be a massive shame not to have that as the lunch stop so I have completley changed the route to fit in around this.

Please don't reply to this thread, see new thread
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
For new route details and a date Smile

MODS please could you lock this thread so as to avoid any confusion, many thanks

I still have the original route so if anyone would like to do that another time then give us a shout
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue May 07 2013, 15:58

stretchie_ wrote:
MODS please could you lock this thread so as to avoid any confusion, many thanks

Done.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down