Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bootses

+3
Snowcat
0ldcat
MrNutt
7 posters

Go down

Bootses Empty Bootses

Post  MrNutt Sun Mar 03 2013, 16:50

I have decided to start looking at some new boots as my current pairs insides are going a bit taz making them hard to get on or off and a bit leaky to, been looking at some alpine stars boots, S-MX's, nearly bought the water proof version of these before I got my current boots, found them really comft but a tad out my price range.

just seeing of anyone has some boots they've always used and might be worth me going to have a looksee at

ta muchly

dave
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Bootses Empty Re: Bootses

Post  0ldcat Sun Mar 03 2013, 17:30

Hi,

I've always gone for the sidi black rain . . . never let me down accept in monsoon conditions and comfy when off the bike walking around at a show or some such.
But at £179 + these days a bit pricey pale

How about a set of these puppies ? Click Here
Or perhaps if fashion isn't yer thang, rather price . . .
What about these kiddo's link

Both are Gore Tex so waterproofing ~ in this country a must sadly ~ should be good.

Food for thought wink thumb up

Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Sun Mar 03 2013, 17:43

thanks for the links tel Thumb
those sidi's look pretty tasty, I am happy to pay out for good boots, same approach as I would with a lid, ideally i'd like some daytonas but they are muchos expensive!
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sun Mar 03 2013, 18:45

On our recent Wales trip I noticed two of the lads had some swanky looking footwear...... Second hand para boots. They got them at the army navy shop, they were black, warm, waterproof and in very good nick at a cost of £37!! Apparently a new pair cost a fortune but these have the advantage of being broken in.

Plus they're usually well looked after as otherwise said squaddie would have to run 100 miles or get the sh*t kicked out of him (or whatever happens in the army if you're boots aren't sparkling!! Wink

They will be on my shopping list, especially for rallies as it means not having to pack an extra pair of shoes for off bike
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Mar 03 2013, 21:48

I use Weise kit, I paid £49 7 years ago for.They are knackered now, but they still only cost about the same
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Sun Mar 03 2013, 22:38

Ive just purchased a pair of SMX5s for the summer, not waterproof but really comfy and you dont look like a penguin when walking in them, no breaking in required either.

I also have a pair of military Pro Boots for the winter, Leather outer with Gortex and Thinsulate lining. Great boots worn them in temps of -30 with no issues. They take a bit of breaking in but worth it, just dont wear them in the summer or you will cook your feet.
Just found some on Fleabay for £30
EBAY LINKY
stevemcc
stevemcc
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 192
Hobbies : Aviation Engineer
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Sun Mar 03 2013, 22:42

thats a good idea steve, splitting the seasons those army grade boots are quality looking bits of kit, I found those SMX's really comfy and am tempted by a pair, might head over to my closest HG and try some boots on this week if I get time

thanks for all the input chaps
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Sun Mar 03 2013, 23:53

I wear cheap Frank Thomas Aqua boots in the winter - they are just wellies with a bit of a shin pad in them, but are totally waterproof (being rubber - I've waded through floods in them and my feet have stayed dry) and are surprisingly comfy to walk in. Surprisingly warm with two pairs of socks, as well.

I'm still using the ones I bought in 2004, so they must have doen 30-40,000 miles. I did pick up a second pair as reserve in a sale a couple of years later, not expecting them to last long. But now I think they'll probably see me out!

And they don't creak like my Oxtar summer boots.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  kenndo1 Thu May 23 2013, 19:58

Also looking to pick up some proper boots too. The army boots sounds like a great, all round and cheap option but i was just wondering how much protectiont they actually offer compared to conventional bike boots. Any ideas?
kenndo1
kenndo1
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 60
Hobbies : student, bikes, travelling....
Registration date : 2011-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu May 23 2013, 21:01

See bobs post above mate. And if the effluent hits the fan . . . I'd suggest yer feet are not priority #1 in the protection stakes.

Army boots are very good at what they are designed to do . . . they do take some breaking in . . . and you must remember there are several types of "army" boots out there these days.

The man at Q&M specials, are what they are, and if you polish them with loads a cherry blossom, then dubbin (I know the dubbin takes the shine off), they'll as bob says practically "see you out", while being reasonably water resistant. The soles are very resilient, but you will need crampons for ice, snow and oils (not because they rot but because they loose adhesion).

They'll do sod all to protect your shins in a crash and likewise for side impact crush injuries to yer foot . . . , but then the same is true of a roadside IED (Improvised Explosive Device), as well as anti personnel or land mines . . .
So in general the idea is to avoid that sort of thing in the first place . . . wink thumb up
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu May 23 2013, 21:27

Just bought some of the military boots, they're used so (in theory) someone has already done the hard miles breaking them in, as said in a previous post friends of mine have sworn by em for years and who am I to argue Smile

Still will be replacing the other boots probably after the smer season, hopefully grab myself a bargain, looking at the Alpinestars or SMX's
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum