Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going to look a Cat tomorrow

+5
Rosco
ellie
0ldcat
Snowcat
Grizzly299
9 posters

Go down

Going to look a Cat tomorrow Empty Going to look a Cat tomorrow

Post  Grizzly299 Tue Feb 19 2013, 18:20

Hi everyone, I am going to look at a thundercat tomorrow. 13k miles £1650.

What I need to know is what to look for, is there anything that thundercats are prone to that I need to look for. I know how to spot a crashed/dropped bike etc.

As far as I know the bike has had a full stainless system(reasonable as i've read the original systems have a habbit of rotting) fitted and braided hoses, crash bungs etc.

So is there anything thundercat specific that I need to look for and how can I test for it?

Cheers.
Grizzly299
Grizzly299

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-02-19

Back to top Go down

Going to look a Cat tomorrow Empty Re: Going to look a Cat tomorrow

Post  Snowcat Tue Feb 19 2013, 23:59

Hi Grizzly and firstly welcome to the forum, have a good look round there's loads of interesting things to read up on regarding your prospective new ride.

Secondly GREAT choice of bike, now I don't know if you're a new rider or not but these machines are pretty much bullet proof engine wise and to be homest theres not a lot to check for apart from the normal suspects like looking if its been in an accident, obviously, have a good bounce upon the back end and a look around the rear shock and set up in general, these can be quite problematic, you'll find most cat owners on here have swapped out the standard as it ain't got a great reputation, make sure the suspension linkage is free and well greased as this is usually a neglected area which has caused a few people (myself included) some grief.

Apart from that the usual running checks as you would any othe bike, forks check operation and for leaks, head bearings for play, if its got a stainless exhaust fitted you've dodged the infamous yammy Tcat chocolate headers. Also check all lights and electrics to make sure they are in order.

The only other thing worth checking is the (commonly read about but actually very rare with only 2 reported cases across the whole of the forum in 10 years) 1nd gear issue. An urban myth but still worth checking, on the test ride and in second gear give it the beans. If you nearly fly off the back seat and have to hold on no problem, if the bike jumps out of gear, you've found the 3rd case of the " second gear problem". Unless you like the challenge of a full gearbox strip down, hand the keys back and politely walk away.

That aside as long as the bike has been maintained there is very little to worry about.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Steve
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Wed Feb 20 2013, 10:38

Hello & Welcome Grizzly . . . and pretty much what he said let us know how you got on Thumb
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Feb 20 2013, 11:03

Hi Grizzly, welcome aboard, good luck with the purchase.

Make sure you check the paperwork (MOT cert for previous mileage etc) and HPI it, £1650's probably top book depending on age, condition etc, there are a few about still. Stainless steel down pipes are a massive bonus.

Good Luck chap.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Feb 20 2013, 12:33

Can't think of anything Thundercat specific that hasn't been mentioned already.

Hope it ticks all the boxes but if it doesn't then good luck in making the 'right' decision(s).

Let us know how you got on Smile

Cheers
Ross
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Bikerchris Wed Feb 20 2013, 13:41

yeh check all paperwork and MOT certificates and make sure you do HPI aswel as mentioned above. Great choice of bike thou Smile
Bikerchris
Bikerchris
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2013-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Wed Feb 20 2013, 15:07

Don't but a Thundercat there terrible bikes, just ask anyone on here!

On a more serious note just follow advise you already have read!

Good luck and post pics if you buy!
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Wed Feb 20 2013, 16:49

What they all said, largely bullet proof, mine has gone stright through every MOT since 2001 when it was 3 without so much as an advisory
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Grizzly299 Wed Feb 27 2013, 06:58

The one up there that I posted about was a cat c.Thanks for all the advice guys.Found another one similar price and mileage and put a deposit on it.But something is niggling at me and I want some advice and opinions before I go ahead with the purchase.The bike is hpi clear, chassis number and engine number match the hpi check. The mirror casings of the bike on both sides are scratched.Now not awfully but enough and there is a slight mismatch of colour between the front fairing and the side panels.How do mirror casings get scratched? And should I worry about the slight color mismatch.
Grizzly299
Grizzly299

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Feb 27 2013, 08:01

Mirrors could've been innocently caught on a gate or something putting the bike away, I know this because I did it myself!! Smile or combined with the slight colour mismatch on the fairing could be the result of a low speed off or dropped bike.

Again neither are serious but give the bike a good check over on that side, look at the foot peg, lever, bar end for signs of damage. Ask questions of the owner, if the the evidence is there question it, you're the buyer, be nosy, if they are evasive or unsure question this. If its serious enough to leave you in doubt walk away if you're not happy.

A lot of bikes of this age have some battle scars from an off or drop, it's easily done but not that serious as long you're happy with the bike before you part with your hard earned.

Good luck with your decision anyway
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Wed Feb 27 2013, 10:55

Paint slight mismatch could also be down to sun light. If one end sat in a shady spot , mines like that now , as it was garaged before , again mirrors mone are scrathed to hell due to the back gate not quite being wide enough
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down