Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ok, so I turned up at the petrol station today...

+4
ScoldedCat
MrNutt
Radar
biscut
8 posters

Go down

Ok, so  I turned up at the petrol station today... Empty Ok, so I turned up at the petrol station today...

Post  biscut Sun Dec 30 2012, 18:39

...thinking it would be really easy to inflate the front tire much the same as I do on my car...however, no matter which way I tried to put the nozzle onto the valve then the discs kept getting in the way on both sides, am I just being thick or is there a knack to it ? Didnt want to bend the valve over too much just in case I did some damage to it...does/did anyone else have this problem or is it just me being enept ?

biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 217
Hobbies : IT Geek
Humour : dark and perverted
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Ok, so  I turned up at the petrol station today... Empty Re: Ok, so I turned up at the petrol station today...

Post  Radar Sun Dec 30 2012, 20:18

Go to local bike shop and buy a 90degree angle adaptor for the valve
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Ok, so  I turned up at the petrol station today... Empty Re: Ok, so I turned up at the petrol station today...

Post  MrNutt Sun Dec 30 2012, 22:04

it can be a right bugger to work it round the discs but it is doable, all about getting the right angle i find, but radar's idea is a pretty darngrootintootin one
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Dec 30 2012, 22:55

For example

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  ScoldedCat Mon Dec 31 2012, 00:15

That's exactly what I use (for when I'm not at home using a foot pump).
ScoldedCat
ScoldedCat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 195
Humour : This parrot is dead!
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Mon Dec 31 2012, 09:16

I put the valve at the bottom and feed the nozzle down from the top inbetween the wheel and disc, but just think there have been studies that say most petrol station pumps are not accurate and can be out anywhere upto 20 psi !!!!
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Mon Dec 31 2012, 09:48

thank you very much for the link Radar, have ordered a set. I sat there trying to feed the hose through every which way I could think of but after looking back and seeing three cars queued up waiting for air I gave up and went home LOL
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Mon Dec 31 2012, 09:51

HEHORE wrote:I put the valve at the bottom and feed the nozzle down from the top inbetween the wheel and disc, but just think there have been studies that say most petrol station pumps are not accurate and can be out anywhere upto 20 psi !!!!

Yeah, I think you are right on that one, certainly for one of the Tesco machines close to me, went round on the car topping up and thought all was ok until I got the car serviced and found that on the report then all the tires were under inflated by the same amount, only a small amount but shows there is a difference. Might be more sensible/accurate for me to get a foot pump me thinks.
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Mon Dec 31 2012, 09:54

ScoldedCat wrote:That's exactly what I use (for when I'm not at home using a foot pump).

yeah, think I will pop out later and just get a foot pump, has to be easier. At least it proves that I wasn't just being daft with the hose though, gave me some hope LOL. Is it the same on most bikes or is it just the T'cat that has this design "feature" ?
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Mon Dec 31 2012, 10:39

biscut wrote:
ScoldedCat wrote:That's exactly what I use (for when I'm not at home using a foot pump).

yeah, think I will pop out later and just get a foot pump, has to be easier. At least it proves that I wasn't just being daft with the hose though, gave me some hope LOL. Is it the same on most bikes or is it just the T'cat that has this design "feature" ?

Foot pump & Digital Pressure Gauge. I slip both in the role bag when away for weekends (well did before Black October). BooBoo
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Mon Dec 31 2012, 11:05

YZFJohn wrote:
biscut wrote:

Foot pump & Digital Pressure Gauge. I slip both in the role bag when away for weekends (well did before Black October). BooBoo

oooo good thought re digital pressure gauge, will grab one of them too :-)
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Dec 31 2012, 11:25

I have a digital gauge permanently under my seat. Whenever I top up I always check with it.

The old pumps at supermarkets/petrol stations etc used to be notoriously inaccurate but it was supposed to be that now we have to 'pay for air' they had to be regularly calibrated however this is not the case!!

When I recently had new tyres fitted I checked after they were inflated and they were 5lb out, the fitter assumed because he'd paid a lot for the gauge it would be accurate, always best to check.

You can buy a Motrax one for about a tenner (cheaper if you have an old George Whites nearby) with a carabiner end that you can clip to a strap under you seat or just keep it in your jacket pocket, simples!!

link
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Mon Dec 31 2012, 11:37

for that price and size then its worth having just because I think :-)
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  johnelcoat Mon Dec 31 2012, 11:57

Aldi had some digital gauges in the other day £4.99, must be worth a punt?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
johnelcoat
johnelcoat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 40
Hobbies : Mechanical Engineer
Humour : Slightly twisted with a hint of sarcasm
Registration date : 2012-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Mon Dec 31 2012, 13:01

says on the top of that "special buys 20th dec 2007" ? LOL will have a look for something later on when I finish work, ordered a foot pump online as the shops round here are manic again today.
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  johnelcoat Mon Dec 31 2012, 14:01

There was loads in our local aldi yesterday? green smile
johnelcoat
johnelcoat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 40
Hobbies : Mechanical Engineer
Humour : Slightly twisted with a hint of sarcasm
Registration date : 2012-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Mon Dec 31 2012, 14:28

pah, now you tell me ROFL pokefun
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down