Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CRAsh Detection And Response (CRADAR)

+9
Rosco
billyw
bobh
YZFJohn
Snowcat
0ldcat
ellie
MrNutt
biscut
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CRAsh Detection And Response (CRADAR) Empty CRAsh Detection And Response (CRADAR)

Post  biscut Tue Nov 06 2012, 20:52

What on earth is that ? I hear you say.

I came across this on another site and can't believe I've not heard of it before as its a great idea, Its not available for all smart phones yet and at the moment its for Andriod only but

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Have just downloaded the FREE, yes FREE app from the play store and it seems to work (dropped my phone onto the couch to test it)...have a look and see what you think...

Brilliant app if it works as well when out and about if you ask me ! could be a life saver me thinks
Could also be handy for TomCom if he continues to crash bikes ;-)

Last edited by 0ldcat on Sun Dec 02 2012, 00:02; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : added info)
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 217
Hobbies : IT Geek
Humour : dark and perverted
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

CRAsh Detection And Response (CRADAR) Empty Re: CRAsh Detection And Response (CRADAR)

Post  MrNutt Tue Nov 06 2012, 21:14

very clever looking app there, shame I am on an iphone
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

CRAsh Detection And Response (CRADAR) Empty Re: CRAsh Detection And Response (CRADAR)

Post  biscut Tue Nov 06 2012, 21:18

will keep an eye on it and when I hear of it being released on the iphone then will give peeps a shout
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Tue Nov 06 2012, 21:26

Not a good idea when I drop my handbag in the corner of the office and it sits there all morning. green smile

I suppose it would be useful for climbers/walkers/pot holers too?

Good idea for old people if they could understand how to use a mobile phone first!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Tue Nov 06 2012, 21:28

could always just turn it on when going for a ride out? make it part of the pre ride bike check etc
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Tue Nov 06 2012, 21:29

Good idea if you're on your own.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Nov 06 2012, 21:58

Nice find left thumb up

Infact this is a sticky me thinks Thumb
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Nov 07 2012, 07:23

Apparently the down side is you're only allowed one emergency contact so if that person doesn't answer their phone your back to square one.

Read the reviews from people that use it, they're not massively impressed. Sensitivity & GPS appears to be an issue.

'this app is fantastic! The only problem I have with this app is that I can only select one emergency contact. What happens if my emergency contact is unavailable? I will be dead in the middle of the road. There should be a sequence of contacts or all contact should be contacted at the same time. If space is a problem, make the contact list a max of 10 contacts. Otherwise I should be able to select as many contacts as I want to receive an emergency broadcast.'
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Wed Nov 07 2012, 09:11

sheesh, you just cant please some people can you LOL :-) surely having at least a chance of someone picking up is better than having nothing at all and less of a chance of someone laying in a ditch for x amount of days and not being found :-). I can understand that it wouldnt work very well if you were in outer mongolia and dont have a phone signal but even so...with any luck future versions would get better GPS and more features.

LOL @ Ellie handbag...ok ok, probably not good but at least it would test how much attention your emergency contact is paying to your texts etc LOL
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Wed Nov 07 2012, 11:09

I agree ,vinny, even with it's flaws, it's better than nothing, and you're certainly no worse off than if you had nothing or your emergency contact doesn't pick up the text message it sends. And as with most things, a search provided results that uncovered other "free" apps along simillar lines as this one so it's not Hobson's choice

On balance, I stickied this topic because no one else had (apart from ICE cards/tags), brought this sort of app (which I still think is a damned good idea) to our attention before.

Very Happy wink thumb up
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Nov 07 2012, 13:48

Sounds great, just wait for the iPhone version (which will no doubt cost us!!)
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Wed Nov 07 2012, 14:18

I'm sure if you search the app store you'll probably find one for the iphone. There's more than just this particular app wot does the same thing. wink thumb up
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Nov 07 2012, 14:47

Yeah there appears to be a similar one for iPhone called Accident alert. It can be configured to send a message to multiple recipients and also emits an alarm. Quick thinking Apple though it is a paid app but £1.99 is a very small price to pay if it works.

Trouble is as with a lot of apps on Apple they don't always work and unfortunately there are no reviews so I may have to just dip my toe and find out.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Nov 07 2012, 14:48

0ldcat wrote:I'm sure if you search the app store you'll probably find one for the iphone. There's more than just this particular app wot does the same thing. wink thumb up
"App store" Tel, how very techy of you Wink
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Wed Nov 07 2012, 15:15

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Me Techy ??? rofl
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Wed Nov 07 2012, 15:55

0ldcat wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Me Techy ??? rofl

Can't be a pic of you Tel it's got too much Hair! LMAO
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Nov 07 2012, 16:46

It's in essence a grand idea, just maybe needs tweaking.

Emergency services have a problem going through phones to find next of kin and phoning randomly as you have to be 100% sure you've got the right person to deliver bad news. I have known bikers carrying other people's wallets etc and the wrong person being informed and NOK aren't a priority when you have a poorly patient. Because believe it or not if a mistakes made, once people are better they're very quick to complain lol.

I once cut off the trousers of a bike that had arrested and cut through a £20 note accidentily, sure enough a little while later he put in a complaint, even though we'd saved his life.

Maybe this app would stop the dilemma, maybe it would phone the person the rider wants phoning, rather than the next of kin, As a medical professional tho, only NOK would be contacted not necessarily the 'significant other'.

I've also been stood next to a dead biker with his wife frantically trying to phone him and not being able to answer as I don't know for sure, she's the next of kin.

I am a lone worker also that visits people in their own home, maybe something like this could be developed to help lone workers too?
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Nov 07 2012, 16:50

And with all due respect......if I came off my bike and needed attention, it isn't Nick or my mother id want informing immediately, it would the emergency services! nurse
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Wed Nov 07 2012, 19:56

ellie wrote:

Good idea for old people if they could understand how to use a mobile phone first!

Oi, who are you calling old? old

But it's true, I've never seen the need for a smartphone, once I go out of the house I like to be alone, so I just have a basic mobile. Maybe something like this app might convert me, though - I do a fair bit of hiking and mountain biking, as well as trail riding, when I'm down in the Pyrenees, and a lot of the trails I use don't see another person from one week to the next. Only problem is - much of the time there isn't a signal!

What the hell, it's worth it for the scenery (taken about a month ago):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  billyw Wed Nov 07 2012, 21:01

Well jealous Bob
billyw
billyw
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1098
Hobbies : Teacher/ sports/ music
Humour : As often as possible
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Nov 07 2012, 22:06

Stunning.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Nov 07 2012, 23:21

Sounds like a potentially very useful app - shame it ain't on the Iphone yet as that is wot I have.

Well jealous of the pics Bob - So how do you organise your fuel stop Bob?
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

CRAsh Detection And Response (CRADAR) Empty definite potential...

Post  'Cat-Man-Do Thu Nov 08 2012, 00:01

Snowcat wrote:Trouble is as with a lot of apps on Apple they don't always work and unfortunately there are no reviews so I may have to just dip my toe and find out.

This app sounds like a great idea especially with improvements already mentioned

Although snowcat I wouldn't advise you try too hard to 'put it to the test'...bikes tend to function best with the rider ON them...or so I've heard [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
'Cat-Man-Do
'Cat-Man-Do
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Thu Nov 08 2012, 05:23

Tel,, is that a pic of me ???

mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Nov 08 2012, 07:55

'Cat-Man-Do wrote:
Snowcat wrote:Trouble is as with a lot of apps on Apple they don't always work and unfortunately there are no reviews so I may have to just dip my toe and find out.

This app sounds like a great idea especially with improvements already mentioned

Although snowcat I wouldn't advise you try too hard to 'put it to the test'...bikes tend to function best with the rider ON them...or so I've heard [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yeah I was thinking more about buying the app and then maybe dropping my phone, not throwing myself off the bike lol
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next