Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 day scotland trip

+4
Dirt Bike Dave
Wooster
frazmcfraggle
MrNutt
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

4 day scotland trip - Page 2 Empty 4 day scotland trip

Post  MrNutt Wed May 16 2012, 17:55

First topic message reminder :

hullo,

me and a friend are planning a 4/5 day trip to Scotland at some point this summer, hoping to get towards glen coe and the cairngorms, also hoping to get on the railway at fort william for an afternoon.
anyone got any great road recommendations for around these areas, places that are a must and any nice but cheapish accomadation?

not particularly knowledgeable of the areas at all so any info or advice is welcome Very Happy

Many thanks

Dave
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

4 day scotland trip - Page 2 Empty Re: 4 day scotland trip

Post  Wooster Mon May 21 2012, 17:09

It's a cracking wee road, and if you take the 20 minute walk up to the glen at the top of the gorge you won't regret it. Wink

Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  MiMa Thu Jun 21 2012, 23:20

If you are in the Borders, the area is lovely. I love St Mary's Cafe by St Mary's Loch. Not par from Peebles. I normally head in from Innerleithan or a Walkerburn.
Follow the west coast if poss. Amazing roads that way. We did a bike tour a few years back and went in my classic mini last month.
We got a B&B for 2 nights for 2 of us which should have been £139 per night for £58 using late rooms.com . I booked on the day we left, and then asked if we could have a rooom for the same rate if we were still in the area after the mini run.
We then did Loch Loman, Glen Co to Fort William and then stopped at the YH at Oban. We followed the coastal road towards Castletown, then headed back through the Borders to a chinese that does an all day buffet but it was shut on a Monday! Doh. Don't plan too much much. Have an idea where you want to go but allow for tiredness or if you see somewhere you'd rather stop and have some chill time. If you spend the few days pushing to get to a certain place EVERY day, it becomes very tiring and loses the fun of the trip.
We did france last year. it was Maria's 1st real ride on her GPZ and she'd never done over 130 miles in a day. We clocked over 700 in 2 days and it was really pushing her to her limits. I was tired too. we found a nice B&B for the night which ended up 5 nights as it was in a nice area, cheap, and quite luxurious. we then were convenient for ride outs to lovely places knocking up between 80 and 200 miles a day but without masses of luggage.
YHA membership is well worth ahving. About £20 a year.
It means you can prebook at the hostels and its cheaper. you dont need to be a member.
Some hostels have private rooms now.
ENJOY. Hopefully we may get a chance to follow in oyur footsteps later this year.
MiMa
MiMa
3Bronze
3Bronze

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Fri Jun 22 2012, 00:05

hi mima (interesting screen name there, is it short for something?)

Thanks for the info and advise , its much appreciated! great

Looks like the trip may have to be canned for the moment, with work commitments and the possibility of a new job, still hoping to get up north soon though, been waiting years to do a trip up there

Thanks
Dave
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  MiMa Fri Jun 22 2012, 10:29

Hi Dave.
We were M&M but for some reason, we were blocked out and new passwords were not wrking. Mick & Maria!
MiMa
MiMa
3Bronze
3Bronze

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Thu Jun 28 2012, 10:30

Re: the Chinese Restaurant being closed.

I think Monday is their traditional day of rest.
..It's caught me out a few times. Smile
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Thu Jun 28 2012, 13:37