Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dashboard led bulbs

5 posters

Go down

dashboard led bulbs Empty dashboard led bulbs

Post  Guest Mon Mar 23 2009, 15:10

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about improving the cat's dashboard lighting, by changing the original dash bulbs to LED ones. What I can't find is a reference, and I've been looking over the Internet the last week.

Any of you have done it or knows the references to look for?

In the same way, how the hell can I change the headlight position bulb? I can find a fast way to do it, unless dismantling the entire front fairing????

Vssss
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

dashboard led bulbs Empty Re: dashboard led bulbs

Post  robertcains Mon Mar 23 2009, 21:17

I've changed every bulb in my bike except for the front sidelight bulb which is indeed a fairing off jobby. I upgraded the wattage on my dash bulbs with good results, they are brighter than the headlights now which doesn't take much doing lol
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 24 2009, 11:19

robertcains wrote:I've changed every bulb in my bike except for the front sidelight bulb which is indeed a fairing off jobby. I upgraded the wattage on my dash bulbs with good results, they are brighter than the headlights now which doesn't take much doing lol

You know any reference? T5? 286? any other?

I'm not sure what's more correct: if use led bulbs or another ones with more watts... What do you recommend me?

Regards
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Tue Mar 24 2009, 13:18

IIRC the instrument panel bulbs are 1.7w & I think I replaced them with 3w bulbs.
The headlight was also upgarded to a 100/80 but the results weren't brilliant to be honest
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiz Tue Mar 24 2009, 18:49

robertcains wrote:I've changed every bulb in my bike except for the front sidelight bulb which is indeed a fairing off jobby.

I had to do mine last year, and as you say its a serious pain.

I think the dash bulbs in the cat are 501's, personally if i was changing them i'd go with led's, you can go brighter without any increase in heat ( although if others have upgraded the bulb wattage without a problem ), they last longer than ordinary bulbs and if you want you can change colour.
Wiz
3Bronze
3Bronze

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Mar 24 2009, 21:12

Alberto,

Think this is what you are looking for (click here). A few members got together last year and bought some, pretty impressive, have different colours. Maybe PM Rosco and ask for details.

The headlight is something else to get in and out. I followed the Haynes manual, but gave up on it when I realised I would have to take the bike apart first!
Got in from the right hand side, took off the panel covering the frame. See you have changed the bulb before so know about the rubber boot and no doubt the clip (that was my biggest problem). You won't be one of these haloangel when doing it though!!

Good luck!!

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Mar 24 2009, 22:50

Hi Alberto

Steve is spot on with his post.

I bought some for me and Wild Kat Wolf in Feb last year from the ultraleds.co.uk website.

Products
------------------------------------------------------
14 x U5016RW (501) Red 6 Super Bright Leds Wide Angle () = £34.86
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: £34.86
Standard Delivery (): £2.00
Discount Coupons:thundercat: £3.69
VAT 17.5%: £4.94
Total: £33.17

The discount code may still be active and is worth a try (think he said it would work for a year though)...not sure about international delivery though.

The RED ones look quite good IMO but you can't go wrong with standard white

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Wed Mar 25 2009, 12:48

Hi Alberto

I can vouch for the LEDs that Rosco purchased great - I have them in both my Ace and my Cat and they're much better than the standard bulbs. The red ones are really nice but I've only got them in the Ace cos it's red and silver. Went for standard white on the Cat and they're fab!

Fi girlpower
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down