Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cat update

3 posters

Go down

Cat update Empty Cat update

Post  covcat Thu Apr 12 2012, 14:37

Just an update as to where I am with the Cat.

After finding a exhaust stud boss missing I decided to try a fix. Going to loctite the stud into the last thread remaining in the head, and the put a little liquid metal around it, followed by a few washers.
Then if this fails, I will change the head.

Suspension is all off and sent to 'Rev's' in Birmingham, hoping to get this back next week. Front and back needed a rebuild.

So the bike is on its stand, no fairings, no tank, no suspension, no wheels.

I have some new SS downpipes for her. and a new rear brake disc.
But the bolt heads have rounded off on the disc, so need to drill them out for something!!!

Its not all plain sailing GRRRRRR...

but i really want her back on the road.

Catch you later

C
covcat
covcat
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-03-24

Back to top Go down

Cat update Empty Re: Cat update

Post  stretchie_ Fri Apr 13 2012, 11:15

covcat wrote:Just an update as to where I am with the Cat.

After finding a exhaust stud boss missing I decided to try a fix. Going to loctite the stud into the last thread remaining in the head, and the put a little liquid metal around it, followed by a few washers.

I'm not quite with you on this bit but if you mean you need an exhaust stud removing you could find a machinist near to you and get them to do it, I took my engine casing to a small engineering firm after snapping a bolt and he just whipped it right out and the cost? A fiver and a giggle with the fella about me being ham fisted, got to be cheaper than a new head.

Very Happy
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  past-it Fri Apr 13 2012, 11:38

Some of the best repairs are right bodge ups, best of luck, just remember to clean up the head before you apply the liquid metal and I hope it works.
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  covcat Fri Apr 13 2012, 15:19

stretchie_ wrote:
covcat wrote:Just an update as to where I am with the Cat.

I'm not quite with you on this bit but if you mean you need an exhaust stud removing you could find a machinist near to you and get them to do it, I took my engine casing to a small engineering firm after snapping a bolt and he just whipped it right out and the cost? A fiver and a giggle with the fella about me being ham fisted, got to be cheaper than a new head.

Very Happy

No i mean the 'lug' or threaded bit of metal the stud screws into has sheared off.
covcat
covcat
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-03-24

Back to top Go down