Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lowered my cat

Go down

lowered my cat Empty lowered my cat

Post  Guest Sun Apr 01 2012, 19:42

lower the back end approx 25mm (seat height approx 15mm).
tried to lower the front with 20mm spacer but that didn't work,
cables etc was fowling the top fairing..mot failer for sure.
so I will trim it down to 15mm and see if that will work.
if not I'll just put it back to where it was and leave the rear end as is.
what I mean by lowering the front end is dropping the forks and put a 20mm spacer and put the bar's back on in hope that it will raise me up a bit.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

lowered my cat Empty Re: lowered my cat

Post  hutch2064 Sun Apr 01 2012, 20:00

ditto just dropped mine 25mm at rear but let me get this...front forks you slacken bolts on yokes, and push the forks up through the yokes, which means when you put bars back you will have 20mm of fork leg showing above bars..no need for spacers....i went for 20mm at the front and now am very happy with the handling approx 3mm chicken strips on my new 023's
hutch2064
hutch2064
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 01 2012, 20:29

(put bars back you will have 20mm of fork leg showing above bars..no need for spacers....)
the reason I put spacers in is because I want to sit up slightly to make it easier on my wrist and neck!
the reason for lowering the back end is to reduce wind bufferting for my wife!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  hutch2064 Sun Apr 01 2012, 20:37

so i'm right in thinking you pushed fork's up through yokes but want to add spacers over and above the fork's that are now above the standard bars...so your bar height would be 20mm higher than standard...by standard i mean top of h/bar at top of fork leg.
hutch2064
hutch2064
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 11:17

hutch2064 wrote:so i'm right in thinking you pushed fork's up through yokes but want to add spacers over and above the fork's that are now above the standard bars...so your bar height would be 20mm higher than standard...by standard i mean top of h/bar at top of fork leg.

yes but it hasnt worked!
one guy on here fitted a 19mm spacer with no problems.
it is posted on here some where.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  hutch2064 Mon Apr 02 2012, 11:48

yip but remember you have already dropped the yoke's on the fork's thus lowering the whole front of the bike....fairing included...this could be why its now catching as you are now in theory raising the bars by 40mm in relation to the fairing...if that makes sense.

graham
hutch2064
hutch2064
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 04 2012, 19:30

this is what I've done ,see in the picture.
lowered my cat Dsc01858l

lowered my cat Dsc01857ti
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  hutch2064 Wed Apr 04 2012, 21:09

as i said i think its because you have dropped the whole front of the bike that its catching, i have mine showing 20mm above the yokes with the bars at the top and they are fine
hutch2064
hutch2064
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 11:36

its the same or similar to what this guy hass done. but on reflection.
if he has just removed the clamps and put the spacer in and clamps back on without lowering.
this would mean that the grips clamps are only held on by 1 bolt beside the 1 to keep in line. it looks abit weak would you think?
anyway have a look in here...john

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org/t3794-got-some-genmar-risers
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  hutch2064 Thu Apr 05 2012, 12:12

Hi John if he removed the bars and fitted the clamp then he would have approx 16mm of fork leg left to fit the bar clamp..but he has fitted a cap to the top of the fork leg which covers the preload adjuster and gives the rest of the clamp somthing to bolt onto, if you drop your forks 20mm fit the spacer and then the bar clamp, the top of your clamp will be level with top of the fork leg, but the riding position will be the same as you have lowered the bike..not raised the bars, not sure what you can do if you have lowered the rear of the bike, then the front will be higher than rear so you need to drop front by same as rear, this will lower the whole bike, but if you drop the bike by 20mm then you in theory to fit the cap shown on the other post you would need a spacer of approx 20mm, meaning from top of yoke to top of bar clamp would be approx 75mm so dont think that would be possible, think you will have to choose one or the other,drop front so whole bike is lower or fit spacer and cap as in other post....front height of bike would be standard but bars would be raised by 20mm....not sure how this would handle though with the rear of the bike being lowered.
graham
hutch2064
hutch2064
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  hutch2064 Thu Apr 05 2012, 12:18

looking at your pics again you have done the same as me (mines not as tidy i dont have the spacer) the front of bike is lower but riding position is standard..and i have no probs with cables etc
hutch2064
hutch2064
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  hutch2064 Thu Apr 05 2012, 12:44

lowered my cat DSC01401lowered my cat DSC01403
heres mine