Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

End of March, possile route ideas required

3 posters

Go down

End of March, possile route ideas required Empty End of March, possile route ideas required

Post  stretchie_ Tue Mar 13 2012, 00:23

I have just over a week off work from Friday 23rd March to Sunday 1st April, the plan was to chuck the missus and the four dogs in the Land Rover and go and stay at my mum and dad's caravan in the Lakes for a cheap week away as we've only had two weekends together away in the four years we've been together Crying or Very sad

We've been away plenty but that was biking or land rover weekends as part of a big group.

Now the missus has just said that her mum and dad might have the dogs while we're away and if they do then we could go away on the bike (she's GREAT), so my immediate idea was the first day was from Wiltshire, into Wales, through the Elan Valley in to Aberystwith and then over to Welshpool to stay at the Westwood (I'll ring up and tell them Spiderman is coming, Titch and Di LOVE it when we say that but it's been a couple of years since we last stayed there when Titch shouted out across a crowed bar "Ere, Stretchie, ewer missus has got MASSIVE cans innit", to which I could not argue).

Then was thinking next day could be a nice route to either Manchester to stay with my parents or Blackpool to stay with my sister, day three to the Lakes where we could spend two nights, do the route I suggested to someone on here during the day inbetween and then a motorway day straight up into Scotland and hopefully stay at a mates in Stranraer for a night before going further up north upto around Loch Lomond for a couple of nights so we can take in a good route to inverness and back on one day taking in Tarbet, Fort William, Spean Bridge, Inverness and back and then the next day going to Wallace monument and Stirling (and I've just been told we HAVE to go to Deep Sea World in Fife) and then somehow working a route back.

NOW THEN, I was wondering if anyone had anything planned along that route along those times because it would be great to see/meet some of you along the way (providing that her mum and dad take the dogs that is) I checked for Bisops Castle and Wee Mac but we're a bit early for them

This is all a bit rushed, it's been less than three hours since it came up

; )
Cheers
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

End of March, possile route ideas required Empty Re: End of March, possile route ideas required

Post  MrNutt Tue Mar 13 2012, 01:54

hey stretchie,

for the lakes, don't know what you've got lined up for accomadation but if you wanted something a bit different look up thelovelyyurtcompany
they have 3 yurts in a forrest that over looks lake windermere, its nice and out the way, the yurts are loverly, nice and warm to when the fires going, well priced to considering the cost of b and bs and hotels.

I stayed in one on my first bike trip at the tail end of jan and it was great.

As for roads that way, the whinlatter and hornister pass are good, its a loop route pass that starts and finishes in keswick, the A591 from ambleside to keswick to get there is a great road.

one route we did again a loop goes from windermere on the A592 north towards ambleside then ontowards and through penrith, following up the A586 (hartside pass) to the hartside cafe at the top, then follow the road back down, join the A6 and blast down there to kendal.

if you can get into the yorkshire dales its def worth the extra miles riding, I went in on the A65 (stopping off at devils bridge) then theres about 3 or four routes into the dales off the A65, i went in towards and through horton in ribbles dale towards the ribbleshead viaduct, then up to hawes and then north towards the buttertubs pass and tan hill.
All the roads in the dales are great for biking, and from what I rode will provide a great days riding rain or shine!

Sorry for the novel, hope it all goes well for ya Thumb

Dave
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

End of March, possile route ideas required Empty Re: End of March, possile route ideas required

Post  Rosco Tue Mar 13 2012, 07:41

I'll have a look and get back to you to tonight.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue Mar 13 2012, 09:59

MrNutt wrote:hey stretchie,

For the lakes, don't know what you've got lined up for accomadation but if you wanted something a bit different look up thelovelyyurtcompany
they have 3 yurts in a forrest that over looks lake windermere, its nice and out the way, the yurts are loverly, nice and warm to when the fires going, well priced to considering the cost of b and bs and hotels.

We'll be staying at my parents caravan for free so that'll do us, because I'm CHEAP Very Happy

MrNutt wrote:One route we did again a loop goes from windermere on the A592 north towards ambleside then ontowards and through penrith, following up the A586 (hartside pass) to the hartside cafe at the top, then follow the road back down, join the A6 and blast down there to kendal.

Sounds like a good route... Isn't that the one I told you about on here rofl

I prefer the road up the left of Windermere, if you get stuck behind caravans on the A592 it's a right pain in the 'arris. I did like your pics when you got back though, not sure if we'll have as good a set of pics but we'll have a go.

Rosco wrote:I'll have a look and get back to you to tonight.

Thank you honey.

Cheers guys, thank you very much, after some drunken conversation and map reading after I posted the original post I think we've got it sorted but suggestions will still be greatly received, the request was more to see if anyone already had a rideout planned and we might crash it, I thought Bishops Castle was end of March for some reason, 5 pints of Old Speckled Hen makes your brain not work right

Very Happy
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down