Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

suggestions

+5
Radar
bobh
Rosco
0ldcat
firemaster
9 posters

Go down

suggestions Empty suggestions

Post  firemaster Sat Jan 14 2012, 10:51

Hi yall
still recovering after me off, back hurts like a bitch, ribs have now healed so bit more comfy in bed, but 16 weeks of this back brace is hell. anyway looking to the future, im looking at getting another bike but im afraid that sports style wont be a option with my back now so i need a more upright sitting position so heres the specs i require:

must be fully faired
at least 600cc
upright sitting position
im only 5'5 so must be a low bike

the insurers hav offered me 1520 for the cat thats 120 more than i paid for it lol

hope you all had a good xmas and newyear
firemaster
firemaster
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 305
Hobbies : I.T/Retained FireFighter
Humour : Dont make i laff
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down

suggestions Empty Re: suggestions

Post  Guest Sat Jan 14 2012, 12:37

I have an er6f ,bought it from new.
it has only done about 2800 miles since may 2009.
I just can't get use to the seat.
it has a rear hugger fitted a sensible one not these little dinky that hardly any better than the original one,
gear indicator, modded seat,rear bobbins for rear stand,alarm (cheapy one). its like a new bike. also I'll throw in a exaust can it was a race can but I put in a decible tube in to make it quieter and road legal.
also has a fiited rack ..new.. I made it.
bolts replaced with s/steel where possible.
it had a full service last Xmas and had the recall done to the right side foot plate
while it was in for a service..
in the picture you'll see a back rest is fitted that has been taken off and a new rack fitted, I was going to fit a top box on.
every thing that is standard tools etc is all there.
oh also a radiator guard, mirror extenders (kawasaki own).
£3200 is the asking price.when biking season start I'm sure I'll get a bit more for it.
when I bought it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

after....thats the battery charger connection what you see hanging down.

seat mod....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat Jan 14 2012, 22:43

Hi there,

Johns bike (above) looks like a good 'un . . . and you get to know the bike has come from a member of the forum, which should give some kind of peace of mind (and comeback), purchase and history wise.

That said, it depends on your budget. Are you limited to the in-sewer-ants payout dosh or are you looking to add some pennies to, or going new ?

I'm bias (because I have one) with my recomendation (not wishing to detract from Johns excellent looking 'for sale'), . . . But if you're looking for a bike that has and does all the Cat does (plus a bit more) I'd say a very close look at one of these link would be very worth while. Trust me it's a very Cat-esque machine. Sit up and beg riding position and (I believe), the gentlemans way to fly Smile .

Has the same bhp as the Cat, much meatier torques, and a detuned fireblade engine. It also has a 3 seat position hight adjuster for the rider (I'm 5'7") and have it on middle setting and flat foot both feet at a stop.
Yes it's only half faired, but ebay has fairing lowers starting @ £50+(ish). Fuel injected motor and is a straight four (sorry john, not a fan of twins).

You did ask for suggestions. If you have the dosh . . . as I say, worthy of a look see.

cheers
Tel great

Last edited by 0ldcat on Sat Jan 14 2012, 23:00; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added seat hight adjustment info.)
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 14 2012, 22:52

Tiger? They're upright (too tall for me but i'm a shortarse) Dilly is quite a fan of his unfortunately not being technically minded i can't tell you much more than that lol but if you were considering it i'm sure he would - suffice to say that he finds it quite fun.

I've got the Gladius which is a 650 - it is considered more of a 'girlie' bike tho - the guys at J&B's reckon it's not a bad bike (i've kept the cat tho!) - as i have back problems and arthritis in my knees and feet i needed something more upright that's why i tried it and i still can't get round the fact that i can ride it and get off and not be holding my wrists after and it's quite nippy, one of the chaps took it out for a spin and came back grinning reporting that 'it's got a good amount of poke got over a ton out of it and you can really wang it round corners'!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sun Jan 15 2012, 00:43

Hi Firemaster

FJR1300 ticks all the boxes.
Terry Lees is a short airse and manages just fine.

My other suggestion (to all riders) is do your very best not to have a 'next time' or 'first time' but if you really must make it a very gentle one.

I've managed 3 so far and gone from the 'write off and broken arm' down to a 'falling on my arse at 5mph' with a 'rabbit avoidance manoeuvre that led to a slide down the road' in between link.

So I've managed to go from pain to just shame. Let's keep em shiny side up people.

Note to self - clean bike to have a shiny side.

Cheers
Rosco

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 15 2012, 18:20

no problem oldcat.
I'll be putting the add mag etc soon as the biking season start.
no rush at the mo.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Sun Jan 15 2012, 20:32

I have a Fazer FZ6S2 - the second generation one where they fixed the jerky throttle response and beefed up the midrange a bit. They also fitted a better swingarm and blue-spot-style front brakes.

I find it all-day comfortable (done a few of long continental trips on it, with some 500-mile days). The handling is very agile and because it doesn't push the front like the Cat does, front tyre wear is very low - the original BT020 lasted nearly 12,000. I have Roadsmarts on it now, and at 18,000 the front shows hardly any wear.

Weather protection is fine, economy is similar to the Cat, and the finish is better than any other bike I've had (and definitely better than a lot of Hondas). It comes with a hugger and centre stand as standard.

Really the only minor niggles are the gearbox, which is a bit stiff (though it's starting to ease off now), a heavy clutch (which I think is mainly down to the cable) and also the throttle is a bit heavy, but you don't notice it after a while.

The good news is that, despite being 2nd in Ride mag's "Top five half-faired middleweights", they don't seem to fetch high prices. I did look at trading mine in a while ago, but was only offered about £2,500 so decided to hang on as it's really only just run in, and still scrubs up very nicely.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Jan 15 2012, 21:05

What about a Bandit 650? I know somebody selling a very tidy low miles 56 plate model
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  firemaster Fri Jan 20 2012, 11:37

bad few days so not been around much. anyway back to this
not too keen on kwaks dont no why just dont seem to float my boat.
the CBF 1000 i do like especially with all the full fairing but i was told they are a bit boring a grandads bike? is this right or am i talking to the wrong peeps lol
fjr 1300 hmm they do look real lnice but is it much good as a commuter and being 1300 whats fuel econ like
Tiger is a no no due to same reasons i am a short ass. friend had one and he made is a lot lower and i could of rode it but it was a lot of fuffing around to get it low enough.

beeing looking at thetriumph sprint st/gt that looks a good bike but not been able to park me butt on one yet.
the CBF is tha great posibility but i would have to get a road test to see if i likes it
firemaster
firemaster
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 305
Hobbies : I.T/Retained FireFighter
Humour : Dont make i laff
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Fri Jan 20 2012, 12:10

Not faired but if you want shed loads of fun, the Speed Triple and Z1000 are awesome bikes and 135 BHP. I've test ride both and loved em both.

I liked the Tiger too but felt I needed to be 55+ to ride it lol.

Go out and test ride a few and see what feels right, it's a difficult decision.

ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 20 2012, 18:25

I liked the Tiger too but felt I needed to be 55+ to ride it lol.

what ya not 55!!
well wat de ya say ,ya learn summet new everyday Wink

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Fri Jan 20 2012, 18:29

I may look 55 but I'm 19 years your junior old man rofl
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Fri Jan 20 2012, 19:41

Blackbird?? Friend of mine has had 3 over the years and loved them all, looks like a bit of a sofa on wheels to me but plenty if shift and a comfortable riding position. Must be comfortable with my friends glass back!! green smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Fri Jan 20 2012, 20:28

How about a zimmer?

pmsl
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Sat Jan 21 2012, 11:48

How about this for something a bit different?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Long way to goif you decide you don't lke it. affraid
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 21 2012, 17:48

ellie wrote:I may look 55 but I'm 19 years your junior old man rofl

nice one ellie lass Wink
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Jan 22 2012, 15:12

ellie just had 1 hell of a big paper round in her younger days them stone tablet are sure heavy rofl
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sun Jan 22 2012, 15:15

cards wrote:ellie just had 1 hell of a big paper round in her younger days them stone tablet are sure heavy rofl
pete

pmsl
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down