Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Right hand lower front fairing in dark red???

4 posters

Go down

Right hand lower front fairing in dark red??? Empty Right hand lower front fairing in dark red???

Post  Alicat Fri Oct 14 2011, 13:38

I'm trying to locate a replacement fairing.
It's the main right fairing in the all dark red colour. (see avatar)

I've had a quick trawl round the breakers but to no avail.

My other option is to get it resprayed. Has anyone had experience/got any contacts???

Ta!!
Alicat
Alicat
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 30
Hobbies : Rock climbing, Motorcycling
Humour : Much..........
Registration date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Right hand lower front fairing in dark red??? Empty Re: Right hand lower front fairing in dark red???

Post  SteveCat Fri Oct 14 2011, 14:28

I had my eye on one on fleabay, had contacted the seller but didn't get a response then someone made an offer and it went yesterday :( the Left hand one is still available!

The paint colour is Vivid Red Cocktail (VRC7), the paint isn't that cheap and you have to take into account the decals, the right hand YZF decal is part # 4tv 28305 30 - haven't priced it, and if you spray the whole panel there's more decals.
I found a distinct lack of interest from a few suppliers I approached - In their defence I did want them to repair a broken mudguard too. One told me it wasn't repairable and the rest never bothered replying. Nothing to lose then, I've had a go myself at plastic 'welding' - result not that bad and it hasn't fallen apart yet Rolling Eyes

How bad is the damage?

Link to a paint supplier (I've already selected the bike)
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Right hand lower front fairing in dark red??? Empty Re: Right hand lower front fairing in dark red???

Post  Alicat Fri Oct 14 2011, 15:58

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Pretty deep scratches but I rekon they would rub out with wet and dry.

Is this the one you were looking at?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What do think price wise for a re spray/ re decal?? What would the colour match be like?
Alicat
Alicat
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Oct 14 2011, 17:02

Ouch, have a bit more road rash than mine ...

A link to the scanned version of the service manual as well as the parts list 4TVB_2001.pdf - this may be useful as it has the part numbers for your Red.
I've been on the search for the YZF decal for over a month on FleaBay, nothing yet - most likely will have to be a Mr Yamaha purchase.

You can ask / email motocc for a quote and to get an idea of what it will cost. I think there are more places closer to you though.
The colour match should be spot on.

If you take the panel off yourself and send it for respraying, you'll need to ask for a touch up kit to sort out the top fairing (about the same place mine's scuffed)
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Alicat Fri Oct 14 2011, 17:14

Wall rash!! I know..........

Thanks for all the advice, i'll keep my eyes open for a good used one over winter and not stress too much until it starts to warm up.

I'll also keep my eyes peeled for the decals.

Good luck with yours.
Alicat
Alicat
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Fri Oct 14 2011, 19:41

those main YZF and thundercat decals from yamaha aren't cheap, i think my set was around £75!!!! but in my rebuild I have to say they are worth it as some replicas I have seen are nowhere near as good, for the lower YAMAHA decals I have just got a set of ebay specials which look fine for the job that they will be needed.

for resprays,I found a good local car garage that had a good paint shop set up going, I was quoted for the full front fairing set for £200-300, stripped everything down, primed, sprayed, painted and lacquered if i wanted it, also applying the decals I had, all done in 3 days.

failing all that, ebay does come up with some good original fairings like the ones mentioned above, so sometimes is worth waiting that bit longer

good luck with it all
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Alicat Thu Oct 27 2011, 22:32

I've just found this on ebay:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Any idea if this is right for mine??
Alicat
Alicat
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Oct 27 2011, 23:07

Yip looks right, I'd contact them though and make sure its Vivid Red Cocktail 7, there were two VRC types
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Alicat Thu Oct 27 2011, 23:43

Cheers Steve. Will do.
Alicat
Alicat
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Fri Oct 28 2011, 00:21

That looks more like VRC1 which is a brighter red than the more burgundy VRC7.
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Oct 28 2011, 09:09

Nick, you're right it is VRC1.

Alistair, I called them and ordered a kit over the phone - suggest it best you do that too. Alternately if you wish to go via eBay, go to the shop and buy the generic paint, enter Yamaha VRC7 in the notes. TBH I couldn't find it and just did the phone order (Tel 01524 33700 9-5PM).
VRC7 is a 3 stage kit, but at the same price Very Happy
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down