Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyre recommendation

+6
Radar
Wooster
SteveCat
prodigy
firemaster
mrfrance
10 posters

Go down

Tyre recommendation Empty Tyre recommendation

Post  mrfrance Sun Aug 14 2011, 12:23

Hi all,

I have just put some BT023's on the cat and all I can say is wow! ...I rode out on them this morning after scrubbing them in and the tyres are like magic on the bends. I used to really have to work the bike on some bends at 80-100 but these tyres just do all the work for me.

To sum up, my experience with them so far is brilliant in the dry giving awesome grip especially at high speed. I am yet to try them in the wet so will update if I'm still alive Very Happy
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Tyre recommendation Empty Re: Tyre recommendation

Post  firemaster Mon Aug 15 2011, 12:47

i have had storms on mine for the last 3 weeks and in the wet great in the dry even better, but wish some one would of told me that cats are not speedway bikes, gave it a bit too much on a slight bend and had to give opposit lock and kill the throttle and then change me pants. lesson learned
firemaster
firemaster
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 305
Hobbies : I.T/Retained FireFighter
Humour : Dont make i laff
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post  prodigy Mon Aug 15 2011, 13:20

I'm on my 2nd set of Michelin Pilot Road 2s now and they're brilliant wet or dry, you get what you pay for with these. I'd like to give the pilot road 3's a go next as these are supposed to be even better.

prodigy
prodigy
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 119
Hobbies : IT Manager, Online Gaming...
Humour : Yes please....
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Mon Aug 15 2011, 13:23

I nearly went for the Pilot road 3's but got these slightly cheaper and had some better reviews but the Pilots are supposed to be really good.
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Aug 15 2011, 14:42

The Pilot Roads 3 are very good, but you're really only going to notice a difference in the wet. In the dry 2 and 3's are the same, however in the wet they are phenomenal.
A bit difficult to say what the wear is like. Michelin claim similar wear from the 3's as the 2's. Experts cannot believe the claims and time is going to tell.

So far I have about 5 000 miles on the rear and nearly 7k on the front, not sure if I'll be getting my usual 9/10k from the rear. However in the tyres defence I have taken them over some really abrasive surfaces and at <cough> speeds Twisted Evil .

I am not sure there is an awful lot of difference between the tyres for the average rider. It pretty much depends on how we ride and what feeling we get from the tyre.
For me that means that Bridgestones' are off my list - not that there's anything wrong with them (although that is not the case with some of their tyres), but I the few times I have ridden with them I always felt as if the back end was sliding - not a feeling I care for. (I've got 1 'Cat with Bridgestone and 1 with Michelin PR3).

Whichever the tyre choice, there is no denying the great feeling of having the proper profile back again
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Mon Aug 15 2011, 19:24

Storms here also.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Mon Aug 15 2011, 23:37

Need to replace the rear Maxxis on the Cat. Only 2750 miles, but a good tyre. Pondering what to go for next
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Tue Aug 16 2011, 00:02

I've got a friend recovering just out of hospital at the moment, He wrote off his Yamaha Bulldog & broke his collar bone from a delaminated Maxxis rear with just 500 miles on it.
Lots can be read into this from damage or just plain bad luck but it does make one think.
The photos are quite damning though. Shocked
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Tue Aug 16 2011, 00:08

Dunlop d209 qualifier front & d207 evo on the rear. Works well once they warm up a little.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Tue Aug 16 2011, 09:21

SteveCat wrote:
For me that means that Bridgestones' are off my list - not that there's anything wrong with them (although that is not the case with some of their tyres), but I the few times I have ridden with them I always felt as if the back end was sliding - not a feeling I care for.

I noticed that with the Battlax's as well, the back end was always trying to break away in the wet and even in the dry it could squirrel around powering out of corners.
They didn't even last that long, which seemed to be the primary reason people raved about them. :/
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Aug 16 2011, 15:52

I loved the michellin pilot road 2 I had but recently changed to avon storm 3's which feel just as good.

£160 for a new rear recently after I wore it through till some metal appeared to be coming through on the way back from Big Mac.

I've noted mileage this time so I'll report on my findings next year I guess.

£160 did include a filling of the blue tyre seal stuff to a loose wheel so hopefully I won't endure a repeat performance of the oban to Shotts leg of the route ( bike in the back of a van )

Cheers
Rosco

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM Tue Aug 16 2011, 20:39

I've used Diablos for 7 years and never had reason to change.
JAM
1Silver
1Silver

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Wed Aug 17 2011, 00:02

robertcains wrote:I've got a friend recovering just out of hospital at the moment, He wrote off his Yamaha Bulldog & broke his collar bone from a delaminated Maxxis rear with just 500 miles on it.
Lots can be read into this from damage or just plain bad luck but it does make one think.
The photos are quite damning though. Shocked

First bad words I have read about Maxxis, but does make one ponder what to buy next
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Wed Aug 17 2011, 09:47

JAM wrote:I've used Diablos for 7 years and never had reason to change.

I went through a front Diablo in four weeks, it was by far the poorest wearing tyre I've ever used.
(The grip was fantastic though) green smile
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down