Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disc Lock

4 posters

Go down

Disc Lock Empty Disc Lock

Post  alext Fri Jun 17 2011, 15:12

Can anyone recommend a decent disc lock? My housemate passed his test on Monday, we went for a spin and got back late and stupidly left the bikes round the side of the house unlocked. Tuesday morning the Police were knocking on our door because his had been stolen overnight.

I've had a look online and the prices start at about a fiver, are any particular make more secure or are they all as good as each other?
alext
alext
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-03-07

Back to top Go down

Disc Lock Empty Re: Disc Lock

Post  Andy_2005R1 Fri Jun 17 2011, 15:18

Not sure if its true or not, but there was a rumour going round that the ones with key that looked like the end of a biro (not the nib end!), well they could be opened by... um well the end of a biro!

When I bought mine, I went for one that had a Thatcham approved rating, something similar to this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Whatever you do. don't forget its on!!! So far, touch wood, I've not done that on any of my bikes, but it's surely a matter of time!
Andy_2005R1
Andy_2005R1
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2011-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Fri Jun 17 2011, 15:58

Hi AlexT,

as a New person to biking I have an Oxford Monster lock that I picked up from BMF for 40 notes. It goes on easy (although it's a strange key) and It stores nicely in the little slot under seat.

It also came with a bright yellow coiled cord that I have permanently clipped to the cable guide near the brake resevoir and when the lock is on I then hook it over the clutch lever, this causes the coil to go directly over the ignition so I would have to move it to put the key in - never gone off with the lock on since doing this.

I will take some pics and try uploading them so you can see what I mean.

I have heard some horror stories of bikers riding off with a disc lock on.

Just another note on the Oxford Monster lock, I looked at a few other locks and I found it was a lot lighter than the others.

John.
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  alext Fri Jun 17 2011, 16:43

Thanks for the tips. The police are going to come and fit a couple of ground anchors free of charge which is pretty useful, but I thought I'd get a disc lock as well. Think i'll def get a cable to remind me its there though, I quite like my mudguard the way it is!!
alext
alext
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  sir digby Fri Jun 17 2011, 18:53

ive got a oxford screamer disc lock has a alarm in it which is very loud so you never forget its on
sir digby
sir digby
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 361
Hobbies : roofer/titting about
Humour : if iam put on life support machine turn it off and on again see if that works
Registration date : 2011-04-19

http://yorkhomeimprovements.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 19 2011, 11:33

Done my mudguard in twice with my old lock before buying a cable. I just hook it over the brake lever but I've never forgotten about the lock since. I suspect the vast majority of people who do forget end up just busting some plastic and being annoyed at themselves but I guess it's possible to actually set off with one on. Only when I'm parked up with other bikes and drinking a brew nearby (eg Squires or Seaways) do I leave the bike without a lock on it. Won't stop a committed thief but it will deter the casual one.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down