Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Braking tips

+2
Gedcat
alext
6 posters

Go down

Braking tips Empty Braking tips

Post  alext Tue Mar 29 2011, 14:30

Sorry, more questions from the novice...

Whats the best way to brake on corners? I tend to use the gears to slow down anyway, but on the bends I use my rear brake as I approach, then accelerate (sort of, Im still pretty slow!) out of the bend. Apparently I should be using the front brake more though, even on the bends??
alext
alext
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-03-07

Back to top Go down

Braking tips Empty Re: Braking tips

Post  Gedcat Tue Mar 29 2011, 16:08

DONT BRAKE IN THE CORNERS, MAKE SURE YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT SPEED BEFORE ENTERING AND GET THE LEAN AND ENTRY ANGLE RIGHT AND YOU WILL FLOAT ROUND, AND USE THE FRONT BRAKE MOST OF THE TIME,USE THE REAR ON ANYTHING BELOW 10-15 MPH HOPE IT HELPS
Gedcat
Gedcat
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Mar 29 2011, 16:50

If you brake whilst in the bend the bike will want to 'stand up' - slow in fast out. Front brake should be used more than the rear, more stability and greater stopping power from the front discs.

Just how much front and back usage combination is a matter of personal choice. Some folk don't use the back brake at all whereas I, until recently used the back brake quite a lot. That was until I changed all the discs and pads and discovered a completely new world of front end braking. I would estimate 70% front and 30% rear usage when needing to stop in a hurry to front only in some slowing down situations. I'd also tap the rear brake before a 'lovely' corner to settle the bike.

As you become more confidant try positioning yourself in the bend which gives you the most visibility (near side in a right hander and off side in a lefty) but for now you'd probably not want to get too close to the kerb or middle of the road. Also practice the vanishing point technique. Both of these will help you judge the severity of the corner and you can then adjust your speed and not get an OMG hit the brakes moment (even knowing these I still sometimes get the omg's Very Happy )
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Wed Mar 30 2011, 00:53

SteveCat wrote:Just how much front and back usage combination is a matter of personal choice

That's the best answer you are going to get, everyone is different and it comes with experience.

It all depends on your mood too, I normally just slow off the throttle to slow the bike down, pick my line then get the bike around, but if you are doing a short sharp set of bends you need your brakes more, or if you are 'on a hoon' then you'll be accelerating towards a corner, smack your brakes on, get around the corner, get back on the throttle.

I think the only common factor is the fact that you should really get rid of any speed while the bike is upright and before you turn the bike in.

As mentioned, if you get on the front brake while lent over then the bike will try to stand up and you're likely to end up on the other side of the road, not good if a car is coming towards you.
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  timboellis Mon Apr 04 2011, 18:54

Well i used to use the back brake a hell of a lot on my last bike just because I was too tight to buy new front pads.

However since the back went on me one day when braking managed to hold on never use my back brake at all now other than when doing a hill start or when it is snowing / ice.

timboellis
timboellis
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 73
Hobbies : IT Support
Humour : Some
Registration date : 2011-02-20

http://www.piggywig.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  alext Tue Apr 05 2011, 11:03

Thanks for all the advice. Im still really slow on the bends but its still early days!

I took the bike down to Devon for the weekend so I had my first proper long(ish) run on it which was fun. Had a bit of a fight with a long left hand bend on the M5 when the bike felt like it wanted to go straight on. Dont know if I was leaning wrong or if a side wind caught me (it was windy so thats my excuse!) but I go it round in the end. Just have to keep practicing!
alext
alext
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue Apr 05 2011, 11:59

We'll get you out soon mate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an advanced or expert rider and don't claim to be but I've got a fair amount of miles under my belt and sure I can help out.

Just get comfortable around the corners before you try going fast.

We were talking to a lad (who I'm sure you'll meet) and discovered that he basically was looking a few metres infront of him and all over the road, got the missus to take him out in the car and explain picking his lines and observations (looking down the road and around the upcoming bends if poss) and just from that he is a much smoother rider, and faster too now.
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Apr 05 2011, 14:51

alext wrote:Thanks for all the advice. Im still really slow on the bends but its still early days!

I took the bike down to Devon for the weekend so I had my first proper long(ish) run on it which was fun. Had a bit of a fight with a long left hand bend on the M5 when the bike felt like it wanted to go straight on. Dont know if I was leaning wrong or if a side wind caught me (it was windy so thats my excuse!) but I go it round in the end. Just have to keep practicing!

Hi Alex

I'm not an expert nor claiming to be either but counter-steering is what you do already even if you don't know you are.
I wee search on t'internet will find lots of articles on it.

Basically push the side of the bar you want to lean to.
i.e pushing the right hand side bar will - point the front wheel left, which will in turn lean the bike to the right.

Once the bike is leant over keeping the bars straight will keep you at that angle.

Pushing left will ultimately make you lean left.

The more you push the more you lean. Funnily enough pulling on the other side will have the same effect.

This works at speeds higher than about walking pace I think.

Apart from that LOOK well ahead and scan back and repeat ad finitum.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down