Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello a new thundercat is in scotland

+5
Stitch
0ldcat
SteveCat
Panzerbuilder
marcus67
9 posters

Go down

ThumbsUp Hello a new thundercat is in scotland

Post  marcus67 Mon Mar 28 2011, 19:56

Hello 2 eveyone. I've had my Thundercat Since April 2010 (The best Birthday present Ever Very Happy )
been working on her over winter sorted out the rusty swingarm & bearings. Now powder coated & freshly regreased. Now can't wait to get some good ride's in over the summer. I'm up in Bathgate, Scotland. Interested in good ideas on all things Thundercat & Yamaha.

Has anyone got tips on fitting an alarm. I know there are plugs on the wire loom. What make of alarm will plug into the Cat. Also any good advise on and Exhaust ?

thanks & regards Marcus.
marcus67
marcus67

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-06-19

Back to top Go down

ThumbsUp Re: Hello a new thundercat is in scotland

Post  Panzerbuilder Mon Mar 28 2011, 23:05

Hi Marcus and welcome.

Dont know much about alarms. I was advised to steer clear if one wasnt fitted so I played it safe and bought a big lock, chain and disk lock instead.

As for the exhaust see the link below for another recent thread. It may help.

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org/t2362-which-can-system-to-go-for#18291

BTW, it was a nice birthday present, it beats the socks i got for mine. green smile
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Mar 29 2011, 09:27

Hi Marcus, welcome.

My alarm advice would be don't fit one, best thing I ever did was to take mine out. For me there was no advantage having it (only Insurance companies seem to like them with little or no reduction in premium), but rather the near constant disadvantage of it immobilising or worse still the alarm going off when it shouldn't. As far as I know there isn't a unit which plugs straight into the wiring loom socket.

I've got a Venom exhaust system (made by Motad), it does the job and didn't cost huge money
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Mar 29 2011, 09:39

marcus67 wrote: Now can't wait to get some good ride's in over the summer.

Has anyone got tips on fitting an alarm. I know there are plugs on the wire loom. What make of alarm will plug into the Cat. Also any good advise on and Exhaust ?

thanks & regards Marcus.
Hi Marcus and Welcome to the Forum

Ride Outs up your way would be the Wee Mac & the Big Mac. . . check them out in the Something for thr Weekend section of the forum. There's a couple more trips out there too depending on how adventurous you are. It would be great to see you on any or all of them if you can spare the time and dosh.

As for the alarm, I agree with Steve & Panzers comments. Exhausts is a personal choice, what you like the look of and your budget, I like the Blue Flame Twin port jobbies What a Face
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitch Tue Mar 29 2011, 09:54

Hi and welcome too..

I agree alarms can be more hassle than they're worth but mines stopped my bike from being nicked twice now. Its a really simple one (dont think its recognised by thatcham) called a cyclone. Cheap as chips, really simple to fit, and as a deterrant seems to do the job. Its got a couple of features that make it easier to get on with like the ability to switch off the auto arm function! No more flat batterys! Here's the link if you want a look see. http://www.motorbikealarm.co.uk/
Stitch
Stitch
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 10
Hobbies : Engineer
Humour : Diverse
Registration date : 2010-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Mar 29 2011, 11:01

Hi Marcus

A warm welcome to the site.
Nice to see another Scots cat on here.
I'm just down the road in Shotts.

Wee Mac is one month from now and we are basing in Livingston.

You are more than welcome to come and see what all the fuss is about.

Cheers
Rosco

ps. As for alarms.....There was one fitted to my bike when I got it and while it was fine when it worked it eventually became a pain in the back side and when the fob died I had to pay to get it removed. While an alarm is less hassle to use (quicker and you don't get your hands dirty) if a more determined thief really wants it they will lift it into a van regardless of whether it is making a noise or not. If you are only going for one or tother then personally I would go for the chain. For complete piece of mind why not go the full shilling and get both. If you are handy enough then a simple fit one might be the best option as the insurance discount ones are expensive, expensive to get someone to fit and don't really knock much off the insurance.
All I have now is a wee flashy light........might deter the numpty thief.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Tue Mar 29 2011, 14:27

Hi & welcome to the site. Not much to add really except i love the sound of my micron carbon fibre oval exhaust.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  billyw Tue Mar 29 2011, 16:38

Hi and welcome - alarm was fitted to mine when I bought it however its a real pain in the butt when it does go off - still trying to work out best way to stop it.
billyw
billyw
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1098
Hobbies : Teacher/ sports/ music
Humour : As often as possible
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Tue Mar 29 2011, 17:55

I have a Beowulf can which gets lots of positive comments and is British made.

There is a site you can listen to all sorts of exhaust sounds on your bike, but the name escapes me!!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down