Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ninja's... Bloody pain

4 posters

Go down

Ninja's... Bloody pain Empty Ninja's... Bloody pain

Post  stretchie_ Tue Feb 01 2011, 12:19

Just serviced the missus' Ninja and cleaned the carbs.

What a bloody pain. Got to drain the coolant to remove the carbs, and to get the sparkies out is just fiddlier than a really fiddly thing..

I would honestly say it's worse than trying to get the Thundercat sparkies by leaving the radiator in place and using the Yamaha spark plug tool from the bike tool kit that you can only rotate by 3 degrees at a time

Moan over, you may carry on about your day

Very Happy
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Ninja's... Bloody pain Empty Re: Ninja's... Bloody pain

Post  yamahamad Tue Feb 01 2011, 12:52

I have worked on a few (green) bikes & noticed they are fiddly things to service, never enough room to take a particular part off or always something seized.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Tue Feb 01 2011, 17:48

Too right, pesky Ninja's.

I hate it when they pop out of nowhere, give you a right good kicking then disappear into thin air.

And another thing, why are they always in their pyjamas? Lazy little b****rds.......
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Tue Feb 01 2011, 19:01

hmmmmmm dont know which ones your servicing but mine was a breeze after the cat, tank and airbox off and plugs there in front of you, as to drain coolant just pinch the pipes where they go into carb rail , soooo easy

pete
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue Feb 01 2011, 19:46

Yeah, I've done two now and it involves extension bars and knuckle joints and a bit of searing especially on number 1 and number 4 spark plugs under the air channels.

Drained all the coolant because it's getting a full service so was doing the coolant anyway.

One thing that has cheesed me off is that when cleaning the carbs I found that the last person in there before me pinched the diaphragm in all four carbs.

This is the least damaged one

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I mean, the bike worked like that but it's going up for sale soon and I couldn't put it back together and sell it like that in good conscience. So, I ring around looking for replacement ones.

£23.50 +vat EACH!!!

So it's just cost me £125 for a full set delivered, just need to wait for them to get delivered.
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Wed Feb 02 2011, 19:12

Mechy i am talking old model ones r reg zzr1100 & p reg zx7r i found them hard work, mainly because they are my friends bikes & are very neglected so when something needs fixing there is always something siezed or something breaks.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Wed Feb 02 2011, 19:25

I found them alright to do, but i suppose thats my job, as to the carbs , jeez they were bad, surprized it ran properly

got the fazer carbs to sort as it doesnt run right on tickover , its either one a bit sticky or the rubbers to the engine are leaking , makes the clutch rattle ala ducati, got new headstock bearings as they were knocking them selves out over the lovely smooth roads chris likes to go on.

But shouldnt moan too much it has done 77k now

Pete
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Wed Feb 02 2011, 19:54

Eddie990 wrote:Too right, pesky Ninja's.

I hate it when they pop out of nowhere, give you a right good kicking then disappear into thin air.

And another thing, why are they always in their pyjamas? Lazy little b****rds.......

Yeah, little buggers

mechy69 wrote:I found them alright to do, but i suppose thats my job, as to the carbs , jeez they were bad, surprized it ran properly

It was just a bit of a moan really, they are just fiddly. Like doing the CBR400

I did like the design of the fairings, less things to undo and held firm by grommets, but after that I think they just wanted to pee people off.

Like the front wheel.... Or rather a 17mm and a 22mm? allen key?? STOOOOOOOPID Kawasaki people, I have a socket coming for the end of the week that will do a 17mm, 19mm, 22mm and I think a 24mm hex for bike axles.

I spent today taking the fairings off the BlackBird and degreasing it. Even washed it, and so far gone over the front hugger, nose cone and rear cowl with a rubbing compound, then a polish and still need to wax it but it looks like a completely different bike.
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down