Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st ride in 2011

+6
NFB_THUNDER
ellie
Panzerbuilder
SteveCat
yamahamad
kwakkat
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1st    ride in 2011 Empty 1st ride in 2011

Post  kwakkat Sun Jan 09 2011, 22:13

well wot a weekend been out on the bike at last bit chilly but the winter gear did its job roll on summer
pete old great
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

1st    ride in 2011 Empty Re: 1st ride in 2011

Post  yamahamad Mon Jan 10 2011, 12:45

Nice one pete. I got out last sunday for a very short run, just far enough to get the bike up to correct operating temp & blow away the cobwebs. I did not have the winter gear on & nearly froze to death in a few short miles.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Jan 10 2011, 14:53

Well done Pete.

I've not been out much, a few trips to the shops. Bike still got fuel bought in November - 10p/l less than it is now :(

Lovely looking day yesterday and I had thought of going out, decided against it and then felt guilty I hadn't. Have been reading of guys who had gone out, much the same route as I would have taken. They tell of cars in ditches, others upside down in the road and bikes which had skidded on black ice (mid morning!). Rather pleased I didn't go out after all.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Mon Jan 10 2011, 16:53

Congrats to you Pete. great

I also made it out for the second Sunday in a row. Did around 40 miles and the tootsies were a bit chilly when I returned but no other issues. Mind you I did have a couple of layers of gear on. (I must remember to wear 2 sets of socks next time though)

My ride was mid afternoon so the sun was an issue, Cool , until I turned round and went the other way until it set!

Keep up the good work.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Mon Jan 10 2011, 18:52

Rich you need a pair of antifreeze socks, worth there weight in gold. Not sure if they are expensive or not as they were a birthday pressie from the wife year b4 last.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Tue Jan 11 2011, 07:29

Rich you need a pair of antifreeze socks, worth there weight in gold

I was just gonna say the same...wouldnt be without mine.

We havent ventured out yet, roads still salty and way too cold for a light-weight like me, but hopefully soon the weather will venture into double figures sunny
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Wed Jan 12 2011, 22:27

Looks like you may get your wish this weekend. It might be a bit damp though. ponder

Also after my two rodes Yoda had a rise of before being tucked up behind the shed. clappy
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jan 13 2011, 09:02

Panzerbuilder wrote:Also after my two rodes Yoda had a rise

How much did he get? Laughing

Good that you washed the salt and crud off
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

1st    ride in 2011 Empty 1st ride out

Post  NFB_THUNDER Sat Jan 15 2011, 20:49

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Well I'm glad that some of you have managed it! I on the other hand have not managed it! I bought the bike in November and have only ridden it once as work and family commitments have scuppered my plans! Also my plans for the new year have also been scuppered so far, not for much longer as I am itching to get out on the bike! Just to see how it runs and performs as this is my first Thundercat.
NFB_THUNDER
NFB_THUNDER
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 41
Hobbies : Calibration Technician/Bikes, Beer and Music
Humour : I think I have a sense of this.
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Jan 16 2011, 19:58

sneaked in another ride today before the rain came
lets hope for a good bike weather year ahead
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

1st    ride in 2011 Empty woo hoo! got out on me bike!

Post  NFB_THUNDER Mon Jan 17 2011, 20:13

Hi Folks,

Well I finally made it! Looked at the weather last night and they said light showers but mostly clear and 13 degrees! So decided that today was the day to ride to work..........

Well....... Woke up and looked cloudy but was only light drizzle so thought that's ok. So kitted up for my 35 mile ride to work. As I left the rain started and boy did it start! and never stoppped! But hey been here before so carried on and thought this would be a good test of the bike as this was my first real ride on the bike since buying it. Well I must say I was impressed with the bike it handled all that the weather through at it in the space of 35 mile and did not miss a beat. The Temp gauge did not get any higher than 60 Degrees though. It was comfy and even though it had Bridgestones on it (which are not my favourites by a long way) all was good. It handled low rev power ups fine and overtaking was good.

Home run was cold! Lacking heated grips and the fact that my gear had not dried completely (big girl I know but have done the frozen hands thing enough in my biking experience that the heated grips are a must for me)so any recommendations on the ones to get would be good. Also the headlight is rubbish! (Think I need an upgrade here!). I also noticed some moisture in the rev counter and in the Headlight is this normal?

But all in all well happy and believe I have made the right choice with the Thundercat! Roll on the Spring! great
NFB_THUNDER
NFB_THUNDER
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Mon Jan 17 2011, 21:03

if theres 1 thing wrong with the cat is that the headlight is crap
in winter cold weather i use whynn dry fuel mix from hallford to stop iceing of the carbs in a purple bottle
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

1st    ride in 2011 Empty I'll Give it a go!

Post  NFB_THUNDER Mon Jan 17 2011, 21:08

Cheers Pete, I will go and get some there is a Halfords just down the road from work so will pop in there and get some... Also looking at Scottoiler or lubetronic any thoughts people?
NFB_THUNDER
NFB_THUNDER
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Mon Jan 17 2011, 23:42

Glad to hear some of you are venturing out. There were several bikes out and about over the weekend - nice and mild here if a bit windy! Embarassed
Alas the best I managed was to check she started great and finally to get around to cleaning off the worst of the Surf'n'Turf 2010.
Better late than never as they say.
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Jan 18 2011, 09:27

NFB_THUNDER wrote:The Temp gauge did not get any higher than 60 Degrees though.
That's normal this time of year.
NFB_THUNDER wrote:
heated grips are a must for me)so any recommendations on the ones to get would be good.
I have Oxford grips with the 'push button' controller, find it sometimes has trouble turning on or off (apparently the new ones don't have this issue) otherwise have been very good over the few years I've had 'em.

NFB_THUNDER wrote:
Also the headlight is rubbish! (Think I need an upgrade here!).
I have a Xenon bulb in mine, have found it to be far better than standard. It still isn't going to turn night into day, but am less scared of going down dark lanes now. You might find them when you're in Halfords.

NFB_THUNDER wrote:
I also noticed some moisture in the rev counter and in the Headlight is this normal?
Don't know if its normal, but mine has the same issue.

I have used Dry fuel for a couple of years, apart from the expense I found the smell of the stuff not to my liking, exacerbated by the fact I could never reseal the bottle (unpleasant when opening the top box).
Last year I tried isopropyl alcohol, nearly as cheap as water (think it was £5 for 5l), used the same 'concentration' as you would with Dry Fuel (1% or 170ml for 17l of petrol). Never had any carb issues with it at all. Haven't used any so far this year but its at the ready for when I do venture more than a few miles at a time.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Tue Jan 18 2011, 12:55

Condensation in the headlamp is normal in cold weather & soon clears. Never had it in the clocks on the cat but did on the gsxr & gsxf.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  NFB_THUNDER Wed Jan 19 2011, 19:18

SteveCat wrote:
NFB_THUNDER wrote:The Temp gauge did not get any higher than 60 Degrees though.
That's normal this time of year.
NFB_THUNDER wrote:
heated grips are a must for me)so any recommendations on the ones to get would be good.
I have Oxford grips with the 'push button' controller, find it sometimes has trouble turning on or off (apparently the new ones don't have this issue) otherwise have been very good over the few years I've had 'em.

NFB_THUNDER wrote:
Also the headlight is rubbish! (Think I need an upgrade here!).
I have a Xenon bulb in mine, have found it to be far better than standard. It still isn't going to turn night into day, but am less scared of going down dark lanes now. You might find them when you're in Halfords.

NFB_THUNDER wrote:
I also noticed some moisture in the rev counter and in the Headlight is this normal?
Don't know if its normal, but mine has the same issue.

I have used Dry fuel for a couple of years, apart from the expense I found the smell of the stuff not to my liking, exacerbated by the fact I could never reseal the bottle (unpleasant when opening the top box).
Last year I tried isopropyl alcohol, nearly as cheap as water (think it was £5 for 5l), used the same 'concentration' as you would with Dry Fuel (1% or 170ml for 17l of petrol). Never had any carb issues with it at all. Haven't used any so far this year but its at the ready for when I do venture more than a few miles at a time.

Thanks for this SteveCat great, this is well helpful I have had oxford Heated grips on my old FJ1200 just thought I would ask to see what others have used. Do you have any view on scottoiler or Motrax Lubetronic (this unit is electric). I have had scottoiler's before but they have not always been reliable. Any advice from any of you would be great.
NFB_THUNDER
NFB_THUNDER
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Wed Jan 19 2011, 21:19

NFB_THUNDER wrote:Do you have any view on scottoiler or Motrax Lubetronic (this unit is electric).

Hi NFB,

I've no experience of the Motrax Lubetronic (sounds right dodgy to me! Very Happy ), however I fitted a touring Scottoiler to my 'cat. The reservoir fitted neatly behind the number plate and the unit under the seat. It gave me most of a years riding without re-filling. The feed was taken onto the front sprocket - I'd rather have oil on there then on the rear tyre plus it makes the thing almost invisible. It worked fine. I had no problems other than on re-filling when invariably I got oil everywhere. Embarassed Flow rate was easily adjustable and I now won't be without one.

I've fitted another one to the ZX6-R - non-touring, there isn't the space there is with the 'cat!

Somewhere I have pics showing how to fit the Scottoiler to the 'cat. If they would be useful I can put a link on the site.

Cheers,
Chris
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  NFB_THUNDER Thu Jan 20 2011, 23:11

greencat wrote:
NFB_THUNDER wrote:Do you have any view on scottoiler or Motrax Lubetronic (this unit is electric).

Hi NFB,

I've no experience of the Motrax Lubetronic (sounds right dodgy to me! Very Happy ), however I fitted a touring Scottoiler to my 'cat. The reservoir fitted neatly behind the number plate and the unit under the seat. It gave me most of a years riding without re-filling. The feed was taken onto the front sprocket - I'd rather have oil on there then on the rear tyre plus it makes the thing almost invisible. It worked fine. I had no problems other than on re-filling when invariably I got oil everywhere. Embarassed Flow rate was easily adjustable and I now won't be without one.

I've fitted another one to the ZX6-R - non-touring, there isn't the space there is with the 'cat!

Somewhere I have pics showing how to fit the Scottoiler to the 'cat. If they would be useful I can put a link on the site.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris,

The pics would be good as this will give me an idea where it can be fitted, Also I'm with you I had a Scottoiler on my old FJ1200 that was fitted to the front sprocket much better and cleaner than it being oiled from the rear sprocket.

Cheers

Sam.
NFB_THUNDER
NFB_THUNDER
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Tue Jan 25 2011, 20:16

Well, for the past to days its been two wheels to work for me. Laughing

No specific reason, but it might be something to do with the IAMs book I'm reading before bed.. ponder

Trying to brush up my skills so aim to do a bikesafe so need to plan / book and I'm looking forward to that.

Not enjoying the dark, especially with the 2 candle power front light fitted to the cat. Cool

Has anyone any suggestions that may light the way for me? Rosco, did you ever do anything about that ebay HID conversion?

Please let me know.

The only downside is I think the bikes blathered. Its too dark to see when I come home!
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Jan 26 2011, 02:53

Panzerbuilder wrote:
Has anyone any suggestions that may light the way for me? Rosco, did you ever do anything about that ebay HID conversion?

Thanks for reminding me - I've just bought it and hopefully arrive from HK in the next few weeks

If you want a quick and cheaper solution get a meaty bulb. Still an H4 bulb just more watts.
I used to have a NotReallyForRoadUse Bulb on mine and thought they should say "unless your riding a thundercat" at the end. It certainly helped, was great for getting BMW's to move over and lasted a few years. Had no problems with over-heating.

When it all arrives I might try and do a headlight test
1. I'll put my mushroom back in
2. I'll take it out again
3. I'll fit the HID

Taking pictures or video as I go.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Wed Jan 26 2011, 19:15

Cheers Rosco.

I look forward to seeing the difference, hopefully! Cool
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Wed Jan 26 2011, 21:09

Hi Sam,

Pics showing how I fitted the Scottoiler are now in a thread in The Workshop.

Cheers,
Chris
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

1st    ride in 2011 Empty operating temperatures

Post  zedhead Thu Jan 27 2011, 10:13

You guys talk about operating temperatures, but on the temp gauge on my Cat the needle seldom gets above the zero mark, even on a hard run. I know it works because on hot days in slow-moving traffic she does get to "normal working temperature", possibly around the 60-70 degC mark, then I hear the fan kick in.

Does anybody else have this 'problem'? Or is my Cat a peculiarity? Given the fact that she does heat up must mean I can discount the thermostat as any potential source of problem.

The only thing I'm worried about is that a cold-running motor encourages the build-up of sludge. Apart from that she's as reliable as Swiss watch and starts on the button first time, every time.

ZH
zedhead
zedhead
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 27 2011, 13:13

I ride mine all year round , apart from when we had snow , although our area was pretty lucky and hardly had any , M4 was not too bad so have been going into work on the Cat on a regular baisis .Also fitted in a Toy Run in Decemeber ...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next