Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How's the site doing?

+6
northun_munky
terry lees
JDM
Panzerbuilder
andyb
greencat
10 posters

Go down

How's the site doing? Empty How's the site doing?

Post  greencat Fri Aug 13 2010, 10:02

Hi All,

Following a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] posted by ow3n I responded to a comment on the 'vibrancy' of the site. I've copied this into this new thread in case anyone else wants to add their two penneth worth.

Shame on you for doubting the activity on this site!
Actually this year we've probably had more new members join the site than for many a year. Long may it continue.
And since you mentioned the subject I thought :idea: it might be worth praising the contributions folk make, however small or irrelevant! Clap

This is a Thundercat site because most members own or have owned one in the past, but many, possibly the majority, have moved on to other bikes. We hang around to offer advice and keep in touch. I stay on because I like the folk on here and enjoy the social side, which remains a cornerstone of the site. Long may it continue :whoop: and I hope we'll see plenty of new faces on the ride-outs.

Most of the post on your thread are from new members so it's good to see folk supporting one another. I think the site is maturing. Aren't we all! Embarassed There's a wealth of experience and knowledge on riding, and a whole range of bikes not just the Thundercat, and a good influx of new members. I think the site's doing OK. What do you think? Question

I hope this sparks some helpful comments, useful suggestions, amusing anecdotes, mad ravings - as ususal!
Fire away. The tin hat's going on as I type! pokefun

Chris

PS Actually this isn't intended as a back slapping exercise, but more a plea for feedback and some constructive criticism.
Is everyone happy with the site?
Is there anything different we can do to keep folk joining and participating?
If you've been active on the site in the past but aren't now why is that?
(might have limited the list of respondents to the last question Exclamation )

Go on, tell us what 'gets your goat' or 'floats your boat' (about the site!)
Very Happy

Last edited by greencat on Fri Aug 13 2010, 21:07; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PS added)
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

How's the site doing? Empty Re: How's the site doing?

Post  andyb Fri Aug 13 2010, 11:44

Personally, i can see the point that ow3n was trying to make, it is an old bike and to be fair, i still see very few out and about ponder even though, 2 more have randomly popped up at RAF Waddington over the last week.

The banter on this site is excellent too and i'm looking forward to the Tol in a few weeks time great

We had an excellent ride the other week from willingham and a good chat too Smile

There seems to more 'social' events/meetings/gatherings going on on this forum than any other that i know of and they are all very well attended (thats the impression i get anyway Cool )

So, in conclusion, this definately isn't a tired old site, an old bike, maybe, but definately not tired, still loads of life left in the thundercat and it's band of merry followers yet clink

andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Fri Aug 13 2010, 12:58

andyb wrote: It is an old bike and to be fair, i still see very few out and about ponder even though, 2 more have randomly popped up at RAF Waddington over the last week.

The banter on this site is excellent too and i'm looking forward to the Tol in a few weeks time great

We had an excellent ride the other week from willingham and a good chat too Smile

There seems to more 'social' events/meetings/gatherings going on on this forum than any other that i know of and they are all very well attended (thats the impression i get anyway Cool )

So, in conclusion, this definately isn't a tired old site, an old bike, maybe, but definately not tired, still loads of life left in the thundercat and it's band of merry followers yet clink

Andy, I agree whole heartedly Laughing

This site not only helped me get back on a bike after 25 years its also helping me through a rough period of my life. Its also allowed me to meet and greet some fantastic, friendly people who I would have never have the privilege to meet. (even if did have a bike.)

LONG may it continue! :whoop:

Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Fri Aug 13 2010, 13:36

Well for my money I think this is a great site, almost like a wee extended family, I have not yet had the privilige of meeting you on a ride out (partly due to time and partly due to having directional sense of a blind 1 day old child). But i will make sure that alters over next 12 months.

I have thoroughly enjoyed banter, reading up on the technical/mechanical side, and generally enjoyed joining the biking 'community' it can be daunting as a newbie, local meets often have the 'bravado brigade' and you can feel overwhelmed but here i have been made welcome, and it's crackin site to be part of, thanks all of you, keep it the way it is, sanity from what i've been told is very over-rated!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Fri Aug 13 2010, 13:49

Very good post Chris, I agree with everything you said. [from an old decrepid buggar who'se never owned a T/C] Tes
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  northun_munky Fri Aug 13 2010, 14:48

Being new to both this site and biking in general i find it great that theres a active bunch of people able to banter with and also to ask for help/knowledge.

It may be an old bike but its obviously a loved one (as im finding out why green smile ) and long may it be so
northun_munky
northun_munky
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 27
Hobbies : Selling Houses (well, trying to anyway!)
Registration date : 2010-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Fri Aug 13 2010, 17:53

Yup i agree with all of the above. I've made some good friends on the site over the years, been to places i would never have visited on various rides and had an absolute scream along the way. I think the site has grown and grown since changing from MSN.
Thanks to the hard work of the guys who keep the site running.
Long may it continue. clink
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Fri Aug 13 2010, 21:25

Excellent site, strong social side...I attended both BC runs and loved them. Just a bit hacked off that I didn't find the site until 2008 having owned my 98 Cat since 2000!

As for the Thundercat it remains a good looking, swift, comfortable, reliable and much under rated bike

I have moved on to a FZ1S now, but have kept my Cat. I did the same when I bought an XJR1300SP in 2005 and the Cat saw that challenge off!

Many forums are suffering because of Facebook, but I come on this site virtually everyday and feel like I have made some good friends through it.

Thanks to the guys and gals who run it for us all to enjoy clink

Last edited by Radar on Fri Aug 13 2010, 22:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Left some words out (as usual...))
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 13 2010, 22:07

Having been a member of the Thundercat gang since it all first started back in 2001 on the Motorcycle News site, then moved on, briefly, to a site that Keith (No.1) started up before moving on to the MSN site and now here, I feel I can give a pretty fair view of the "state of the site".

When MSN announced that they were closing down their forums I was quite worried that the Thundercat family would break up. Fair play to Terry (Oldcat), who took it upon himself to research and start up this site. It takes a bit of get up and go to do such a thing and it certainly seems to have held the family together, with more members joining. We'll be up to 500 soon.

Other people (too many to mention) have taken it upon themselves to organise weekends away and rideouts and these continue to thrive. This all started up years ago when we used to have a weekend in Welshpool. Ok, I don't think we will ever reach the heyday of 50 plus Thundercats at Welshpool but these meets are getting more popular and are also becoming International, meeting up with the German Thundercat Family. I don't think there have ever been so many organised events as there are now.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, are the people on the site. Over the years I have made some great friends through the Thundercat site. Some I met on the very first Thundercat rideout and we are still friends now. That, to me is what makes this site what it is. The people. Oh yeah, and the bikes obviously.

So, long may the site continue, long may the organised events continue and thrive, and let's hope we continue to get new members who want to interact, meet up and rideout.

Just remember, this wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Terry (I've sent a letter to the Queen requesting some sort of honour Wink ).

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat Aug 14 2010, 00:47

topcatbones wrote:(I've sent a letter to the Queen requesting some sort of honour Wink ).

Tony
An Award you say ? . lol2

I'm sure a sharp pin would be involved medal3

AND I would venture a guess as to exactly where HM would be tempted deal to stick it . Shocked . .hehe

Tel
greencat wrote:PS Actually this isn't intended as a back slapping exercise, but more a plea for feedback and some constructive criticism.
Is everyone happy with the site?
Is there anything different we can do to keep folk joining and participating?
If you've been active on the site in the past but aren't now why is that?
(might have limited the list of respondents to the last question Exclamation )

Go on, tell us what 'gets your goat' or 'floats your boat' (about the site!)
Very Happy

Chris
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Aug 15 2010, 18:39

just 1 word great
to be part of the thundercat family to banter swop ideas meets all this would have gone by the way side had someone ( tel ) not took it upon him self to set up this site
sir i thank you as im sure all the rest on here
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down