Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd dash bulb gone out.

4 posters

Go down

2nd dash bulb gone out. Empty 2nd dash bulb gone out.

Post  yamahamad Tue Aug 03 2010, 21:33

Only had 1 dash bulb go before & a second went in the rev counter the other day so set about changing it this evening. Stripped the bike down & switched the lights on to make sure i got the right one & pulled out the bulb holder/carrier to find the bulb lit? Put the carrier bach into the dash & sure enough all lit up correctly. I take it out to look at the bulb & other than a bit heat blackened looked ok. I just checked the bulb was in the carrier correctly thinking loose connection & built it back up. It is only after job done & bike away that i am now thinking the filament could be broken & reconnected when i took it out but only the next few rides will tell.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

2nd dash bulb gone out. Empty Re: 2nd dash bulb gone out.

Post  stephenbower42 Wed Aug 04 2010, 12:34

Not very likely mate the filament tend to spring back when it goes. It is more likely that there was either

1. a little bit of corrossion or oxidation on the bulb contacts and moving it as you took it out of the clocks was enough to get a good connection again in which case if it stops again try a tiny bit of electrical grease.

or

2. you've got a corroded and broked wire that reconnected when you pulled it out.
If you try pulling pushing and bending the wire then you might find the bulb will flicker as you gain and loose connection, then you can just replace the bit of wire thats broken. easy peasy Very Happy

Steve B
stephenbower42
stephenbower42
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Hobbies : Norton Motorcyles
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Thu Aug 05 2010, 00:40

I had my old thundercat for a couple of years and had to replace bulbs twice in the dash. I thought it was a common fault? There is a way to get to them without taking the fairing off, someone posted it on here (the old site) when I had the same problem. I'll have a dig and see if I can find it>
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : Stone. Sell it..Love it...
Humour : Dry /sarcstic..
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Aug 05 2010, 00:48

Sorry to butt in, but 'tis in the pdf "Known Thundercat Issues" page 8 ~ 2.5

hope that is of use great

clink Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 05 2010, 08:01

MevsyD wrote: There is a way to get to them without taking the fairing off, someone posted it on here (the old site) when I had the same problem. I'll have a dig and see if I can find it>

Now that bit i CAN assist with coz fi told me and mine got done last weekend Smile take the screen off and the 2 big side plastic outer bits either side the clocks - undo the screws that hold the clocks in place - pull the clocks forward - Bob's your uncle and Fanny was married to him Very Happy - you may need a pair of pliers or similar to get to the very bottom bulb i did.
One thing tho (i'm not very bright!) my dials still don't seem very bright even tho the bulbs been replaced - i had 2 knackered ones so i thought they'd be nice and bright but it doesn't seem to have made that much difference is it the position of the bulbs that they're not that bright anyway?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenbower42 Thu Aug 05 2010, 09:03

Replace with LED bulbs from ebay, there only about £1 each, and will never go.
stephenbower42
stephenbower42
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Hobbies : Norton Motorcyles
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Thu Aug 05 2010, 10:02

Used the bike to come to work 2day & all the dash is lit up so hopefully it was only the bulb had come loose in the holder. Suzie youre description is spot on, that is how i do it & it does not take long at all.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down